Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Has anyone churned this card yet ? If so how long between cancelling and re applying ?

Thanks
For Chase, it is believed u can get a bonus again after applying around 2 years after cancellation. YMMV!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:57 pm

Do you get upgraded to Platinum Elite status with this card? I believe Platinum Elite members get free upgrade if better rooms are available at check-in.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by wifey99999999
Do you get upgraded to Platinum Elite status with this card? I believe Platinum Elite members get free upgrade if better rooms are available at check-in.
My wife did when she got it. IHG hotels seem pretty inconsistent about perks in general though. In our round of stays at 5 different hotels we got:
-no room upgrade - no food and drink coupon
-1 very nice room upgrade + free movie
-no upgrade, only a 10% off food&drink coupon
-higher floor + 25% food and drink coupon
-no room upgrade (But it was a HIE so not much to upgrade to) + 10% food and drink coupon + free movie
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:36 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Exterous
IHG hotels seem pretty inconsistent about perks in general though.
There is constant debate about this in the IHG forum. The net of it is, most people have consistent luck with upgrades and perks if they ask for them in advance. It's just a reality of their program. In fact, there is an entire thread just about elite benefits experiences: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...periences.html

Anyway, this card automatically gives you Platinum status as long as you hold it. It's a stated benefit.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by gv111
For Chase, it is believed u can get a bonus again after applying around 2 years after cancellation. YMMV!
actually, i've heard it's 2 years from application (Amex is generally 1 year from cancelation; Citi AA cards ususally based on application date...)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:45 am

perks

I thought the program basically said no perks were guaranteed on award stays, but you should have better luck if it's a paid stay. Maybe that's part of the "pattern" folks are seeing.

Although to echo a prior post, I sent an e-mail in advance to a gen manager in advance of an award stay at a sold-out hotel, and we were treated like royalty on the upgrades.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Exterous
My wife did when she got it. IHG hotels seem pretty inconsistent about perks in general though. In our round of stays at 5 different hotels we got:
-no room upgrade - no food and drink coupon
-1 very nice room upgrade + free movie
-no upgrade, only a 10% off food&drink coupon
-higher floor + 25% food and drink coupon
-no room upgrade (But it was a HIE so not much to upgrade to) + 10% food and drink coupon + free movie
LOL, four rooms booked, each of us with Platinum status, three of us got a bag of Microwave popcorn and one of us a snickers bar!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
LOL, four rooms booked, each of us with Platinum status, three of us got a bag of Microwave popcorn and one of us a snickers bar!
So who was the lucky Snickers recipient?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I've noticed that in some properties I've stayed at frequently, the gift changes randomly & sometimes back and forth. It's as if they have a big basket of goodies and just pick randomly
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:40 pm

When will we get the platinum elite status? Is it after the first statement, after 80k points posted or immediately after the card has been approved?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by jrey
When will we get the platinum elite status? Is it after the first statement, after 80k points posted or immediately after the card has been approved?
I got mine on sept 24th. the first statement was sent on sept 15th
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:34 am

How do you know when you got it?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:52 pm

What is the better card to use for perks at the Palazzo Las Vegas?
The Plat IHG or the Plat AmEx?

Completed min spend on IHG immediately after receiving card and 80K + points posted on first statement.
Says on the info packet that comes with your card
"A Free Night* every year"
"3 As an IHG Rewards Club credit cardmember, you qualify for an upgrade to IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite status for as long as you remain a Select cardmember, and as long as your IHG Rewards Club membership account remains in good standing. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for your upgrade to be applied to your IHG Rewards Club account."

Last edited by wetsand; Sep 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm Reason: added ihg points info
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
I have platinum through the CC. However, I do make IHG hotels my primary choice when paying for stays anywhere. Not enough stays or nights though to make status with. Last stay was award stay, and I did get upgraded to higher room with a great view and late check-out (2pm). Didn't ask for it. Free internet was a plus. My next two stays (overseas) will be paid stays. Will see how well Platinum is recognized for these stays.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eknock007
I have platinum through the CC. However, I do make IHG hotels my primary choice when paying for stays anywhere. Not enough stays or nights though to make status with. Last stay was award stay, and I did get upgraded to higher room with a great view and late check-out (2pm). Didn't ask for it. Free internet was a plus. My next two stays (overseas) will be paid stays. Will see how well Platinum is recognized for these stays.
You do not need elite status to get free internet / late check out - ALL IHG members receive these benefits. (The free internet became a standard benefit effective July this year. 2PM Check Out has been there as standard benefit for any IHG member.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.