Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:43 pm
was jgoggan

Programs: WN 650k+CP; BA 200k; AA 200k; HHonors 450k; IHG 300k Plat; Bonvoy 250k; Rad 225k
Originally Posted by jjoaquin
Would anyone know if sending someone money via PayPal as a gift (so no 4% fee) using this credit card would qualify as purchases towards the $1k?
Just so you know, when you fund a PayPal payment using a credit card, there is a fee -- no matter if you send it as a gift or not. So, if your plan is to be able to create spend on the card using PayPal without a fee, it will not work that way.

- John...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jjoaquin
I applied on 10/29, received the card on 11/4 and confirmed the $80k promo.

Would anyone know if sending someone money via PayPal as a gift (so no 4% fee) using this credit card would qualify as purchases towards the $1k?

I'm looking to make a private party purchase and would like to send money via PayPal as a gift rather than cash to help me reach the $1k asap.

Thanks in advance.
What you can do, is send up to $1K thru Amazon payments, and fund it with a credit card. Just make sure you check the button for "goods and services". If you chose "cash advance" it will not count towards your minimum spend, and you will be charged fees and interest.

Sadly, this will not count towards the 5X points this quarter on the Freedom card. Although you can use that card, and get 1X points per $.

Do not send more than $1K a calendar month, and do not send money back and forth between the same two people. A to B, or A to B to C is fine. A to B, then back to A thru Amazon payments, will get your account closed. So you can use this to pay someone you owe money to, or you can do this with anyone you trust to give you the money back in cash, or check.

I have been doing this monthly for some time now, yes even with Citibank cards, with no problems at all. Both parties need to have an Amazon account, each must sign up for a free Amazon payments account, and the person receiving the money has to designate a bank account to deposit it into.

12K miles or points a year for free !
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
I applied in Sept. using the 60K offer, then found about the 80K point offer on Flyertalk. I read some of the posts about success getting Chase to up the bonus to 80K if you applied under the 60K offer, but couldn't find a recent success post. After my 60K bonus posted, I sent a message through the secure messaging system on the Chase site, including the 80K link from this thread, and asking if they would match the 80K offer. Within 2 days, I got a reply that they indeed would match the 80K offer, and the add'l 20K points would be added on my next statement. (All of this was done within 90 days of applying for the card.)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
What you can do, is send up to $1K thru Amazon payments, and fund it with a credit card. Just make sure you check the button for "goods and services". If you chose "cash advance" it will not count towards your minimum spend, and you will be charged fees and interest.

Sadly, this will not count towards the 5X points this quarter on the Freedom card. Although you can use that card, and get 1X points per $.

Do not send more than $1K a calendar month, and do not send money back and forth between the same two people. A to B, or A to B to C is fine. A to B, then back to A thru Amazon payments, will get your account closed. So you can use this to pay someone you owe money to, or you can do this with anyone you trust to give you the money back in cash, or check.

I have been doing this monthly for some time now, yes even with Citibank cards, with no problems at all. Both parties need to have an Amazon account, each must sign up for a free Amazon payments account, and the person receiving the money has to designate a bank account to deposit it into.

12K miles or points a year for free !

thanks so much for the info
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by mrbehm
... Am I also to understand that simply reaching the $1k spend and paying the balance off early (I've had the card for about a week and have paid off a $1k+ balance already) won't yield the reward points either?
Your 80K bonus may not post.

Last edited by jcsimard; Nov 7, 2013 at 6:20 am
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:20 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mrbehm
Am I also to understand that simply reaching the $1k spend and paying the balance off early (I've had the card for about a week and have paid off a $1k+ balance already) won't yield the reward points either?
Originally Posted by jcsimard
Your 80K bonus may not post.
Why do you think that?

In general, Chase doesn't care if you pay early. Your points post after the statement cuts, even if it shows a net $0 balance, as long as the spend was made early enough to trigger the bonus.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
I have the same question. And yes, I know there is an endless thread on churning Chase cards, but I couldn't find anything in it that applied to this specific question. Maybe it is answered there, but if so I couldn't find it.

I have the Priority card, but the T/C for the IHG card say for "new members of the IHG card", and don't mention the Priority card at all. I'm hoping this means they are considering the IHG card to be a different card from the Priority, thus I qualify for it. Anyone have and info about this?
I have the PC card and applied for the IHG card, just to see. I was denied on the grounds that I already have the card. They helpfully noted the last 4 digits of my PC card.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I have the PC card and applied for the IHG card, just to see. I was denied on the grounds that I already have the card. They helpfully noted the last 4 digits of my PC card.
Thanks so much for letting me know. Even though:
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
what are the requirement for approval for the Chase IHG??
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: Food Lion MVP
Approved, thanks for the link FT
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Why do you think that?
Just happened to me!

Points did post, including the bonuses for restaurants, gas and grocery... but no 80K bonus.

Just have to spend more on it.

Keep us posted on your experience.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just happened to me!
You may confuse the reason why your bonus haven't posted as expected.

Paying early to bring the statement to 0 balance has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with whether you would get a bonus or not.

Common reason of not getting bonus after the statement of the cycle in which you meet the spend, is caused by a well-known, well-documented Chase practice which cuts off the tally to meet spend 7 to 10 days before statement closing date. If your spend falls in that window, it would not be counted toward the spend threshold UNTIL NEXT CYCLE. It may very well be the situation you have experienced.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just happened to me!

Points did post, including the bonuses for restaurants, gas and grocery... but no 80K bonus.

Just have to spend more on it.

Keep us posted on your experience.
WHEN was the last $ that brought you cross the threshold posted on the statement?

If it fell within the 7 to 10 days window leading to the statement closing date, this amount is NOT counted UNTIL NEXT STATEMENT CYCLE.

This is a well known and well documented Chase practice. That is why MDtR-Chicago said if the spend is EARLY enough.

You do not need to spend more because the last $ would be added to your previous spend to calculate the amount to meet the threshold.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You may confuse the reason why your bonus haven't posted as expected.

Paying early to bring the statement to 0 balance has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with whether you would get a bonus or not.

Common reason of not getting bonus after the statement of the cycle in which you meet the spend, is caused by a well-known, well-documented Chase practice which cuts off the tally to meet spend 7 to 10 days before statement closing date. If your spend falls in that window, it would not be counted toward the spend threshold UNTIL NEXT CYCLE. It may very well be the situation you have experienced.
Last transaction was the day before the statement closing. You're right... thanks anyway, I'll sleep better tonight. I've seen this practice on my Freedom Card. But with the clock is ticking, so I'll put more spending on it ASAP, which is not a problem.

Last edited by jcsimard; Nov 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the insight. I've seen this practice on my Freedom Card. But with the clock ticking, I'll put more spending on it ASAP, which is not a problem.
It is on ALL Chase cards. For whatever reason my new Chase cards often have a rather short 1st cycle of just 2 to 3 weeks so 50% of the time my bonus does not show up until the next cycle despite I have met the spend requirement in the previous cycle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.