Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by zink88
Since the window to get in on this appears to be limited, what is the Chase/BA policy if we open the card accounts, earn the 100,000 miles each and then close the card accounts 11 months later to avoid the following year fees? Will we lose the 200,000 BA miles similar to how Citi takes away unused TYP if you close the affiliated credit card?

?
I have closed a lot of Citi Cards, and they have not taken away the TYP>
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by christianj
Not sure where the other poster saw the date but it was listed on the email I got from BA announcing the CC.

Here' a cut and paste of the actual terminology from the email:
Apply today.
Your application will be pre-populated with your name and address for your convenience.. Apply before November 30, 2009, to take advantage of this amazing opportunity to earn enough BA Miles for 2 transatlantic reward flights.

Speculation on the BA board is that this deal is happening to generate some short term cash by selling miles to Chase at a low price since BA just posted bad results. This would explain the short application window.

I also anticipate that a lot of people that might apply for this card will actually not get it. The application and offer specifically give Chase/BA a way out by saying you may get the Plat. Card if you do not qualify for this offer. With credit as tight as it is, I think they will be pretty selective and that will upset those rejected and cause lots of complaining to follow in this thread.

The fees and benefits may differ from the Visa Signature Card and the Platinum Card but the bonus miles offered in conjunction with this offer appear to be the same across the board. So it doesn't matter which card you get, you should get the miles.

If Chase pulls a fast one and declines you for the BA Visa Signature Card and approves you for a non BA co-branded card, you wouldn't get the miles.

However in the fine print it says: "You will first be considered for a Visa Signature card. If you do not qualify for that product, you will automatically be considered for a Visa Platinum card, which has different fees, benefits, and credit availability. For pricing details, please see Pricing & Terms. For benefits details, please read your credit card benefits materials which will be mailed after your account is established."

If this section said BA Visa Signature card and Visa Platinum card (without the BA designation) I could see some concern.

The language that bothers me is in the Pricing & Fees that says. "Replying to this offer: If you omit any information on the form, we may deny your request for an account. If applicable, Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. The information about the costs of the card described in this form is accurate as of 12/22/2008. This information may have changed after that date. To find out what may have changed, write to us at Cardmember Service, P.O. Box 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043."

This exclusionary clause isn't new but it sounds like it's aimed at UA Card churners (not guilty) or 0% BT'ers (big time guilty).

The bottom line is, Chase can deny you credit for any reason and you can stop doing business with Chase anytime you please. (I don't mean you in particular, I mean customers in general )
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by dustenm
Does anyone know how hard it is to just get a ticket within the USA using these miles?

Try for yourself. Go here and click on "Make award booking" then log into your BAEC account.

Choose some dates, and cities and search. On the next page you'll get a message that says:British Airways does not fly all or part of this route. Your options are:

Select another route
Include our partners in the availability search

Click on "include partners"

You should be able to search different time frames to get an idea of availability to the destinations you are interested in.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:50 am

status number

OK, for the impatient (like me), here's an auto application status to check the application status:

800-945-2006

then press #, the 1, then enter your SSN.

What's interesting, is that on two family aps done yesterday, one message says "you'll receive a letter in 7-10 days" and the other says "we will notify you in writing in 14 days". Makes me wonder if their is a preliminary bias, and one's good and the other isn't!

My experience with Chase having used this number for several 0% APR cards in the past, is they will update the status as soon as it's known, so call every day and you don't need to talk to a human.

Please note what the SPECIFIC message says during review, and let us know if you get the card or rejected later, so we can get some data points.

NOTE: I started her ten years ago, then migrated most of my time to FW Finance. I absolutely agree, this place is nicer LOL!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:53 am

Correct me if I am wrong. If I am approved for this offer and I fulfill the requirements I would, if available, be able to fly FROM HI to the continental US via AA?

Thanks,
Robert
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Roberteyewhy
Correct me if I am wrong. If I am approved for this offer and I fulfill the requirements I would, if available, be able to fly FROM HI to the continental US via AA?

Thanks,
Robert
Yes, AA is a OneWorld member and therefore you can use BA miles to fly on that route with AA metal.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:08 pm

Thanks,
Robert
Yes.

35k miles Coach
105k miles First
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:17 pm

I got the "We will contact you in writing in approximately 2 weeks"
I have about a 750 credit score last I checked...no problem getting Amex Gold Rewards or Platinum Rewards for me, but last Chase card I applied for I got a letter asking me to send something into them for further review so I just trashed it.

Originally Posted by teammjs
OK, for the impatient (like me), here's an auto application status to check the application status:

800-945-2006

then press #, the 1, then enter your SSN.

What's interesting, is that on two family aps done yesterday, one message says "you'll receive a letter in 7-10 days" and the other says "we will notify you in writing in 14 days". Makes me wonder if their is a preliminary bias, and one's good and the other isn't!

My experience with Chase having used this number for several 0% APR cards in the past, is they will update the status as soon as it's known, so call every day and you don't need to talk to a human.

Please note what the SPECIFIC message says during review, and let us know if you get the card or rejected later, so we can get some data points.

NOTE: I started her ten years ago, then migrated most of my time to FW Finance. I absolutely agree, this place is nicer LOL!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:18 pm

Thanks broadwayblue and RedSox.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:19 pm

I got 7-10 biz days.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RedSox
Yes.

35k miles Coach
105k miles First
Wow, pretty crappy deal for First. Far better value with AA miles (45 Coach/75 First.) I've flown up front with AA to Hawaii several times, and while NGBC is nice, I certainly don't think it's worth 3 times the miles. Guess the secret is to be aware of the various redemption requirements among the partners and book accordingly.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Wow, pretty crappy deal for First. Far better value with AA miles (45 Coach/75 First.) I've flown up front with AA to Hawaii several times, and while NGBC is nice, I certainly don't think it's worth 3 times the miles. Guess the secret is to be aware of the various redemption requirements among the various partners and book accordingly.
I was thinking the same thing! Triple the amount for First.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:33 pm

Another question. Is anyone using the "Do you have a Chase online User ID and Password?" or just filling out the app? Which would give a better chance of receiving an approval or does it not matter?

Thanks,
Robert
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedSox
Try for yourself. Go here and click on "Make award booking" then log into your BAEC account.

Choose some dates, and cities and search. On the next page you'll get a message that says:British Airways does not fly all or part of this route. Your options are:

Select another route
Include our partners in the availability search

Click on "include partners"

You should be able to search different time frames to get an idea of availability to the destinations you are interested in.
Does BA filter partner availability or is it just that the site doesn't show all availability? I am looking for some award tickets from SFO to ANC on AS.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Wow, pretty crappy deal for First. Far better value with AA miles (45 Coach/75 First.) I've flown up front with AA to Hawaii several times, and while NGBC is nice, I certainly don't think it's worth 3 times the miles. Guess the secret is to be aware of the various redemption requirements among the various partners and book accordingly.
I was thinking the same thing! Triple the amount for First.
Stay tuned. I've posted a question in the BA forum for the BAEC rep to tell us whether first class on a two-cabin AA aircraft counts as first class or business class for BAEC redemption purposes. I've also asked about the number of stopovers permitted for award travel on a partner carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.