Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by kay_jay
We are in the process of buying a new house and my friends say applying for a credit card will hurt the credit score. Is that true? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
This card is very tempting though.
Advantage: 100k BA FF miles.^
Disadvantage: Bank/Mortgage Lender may not give you a loan.

Your friend is correct that applying for additional credit will lower your FiCo score. Credit scores are pretty dynamic, relying on debt, repayment history, etc. Lenders don't like to see potential borrowers applying for additional credit before they give them a mortgage.

Under normal circumstances, you can expect to see <10 point drop in your FiCo score and it's not a big deal. You however are buying a house. My advise to you, wait until after you close on your house and apply for this card the next day if you really want it.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Stay tuned. I've posted a question in the BA forum for the BAEC rep to tell us whether first class on a two-cabin AA aircraft counts as first class or business class for BAEC redemption purposes.
AA releases these award seats as Z just like other first awards. Since BA has to book into the same system, I'm not sure how they could do what you suggest even if they wanted to?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by markf57
In reading the BA site and using the miles calculator, I find reference to the term, "Prices are based on return journey". Do I assume that means, "round trip" in US vernacular? So a round trip economy is 50k points (plus fees) from US to zone 1? Does that also mean that a round trip on AA from US to Hawaii is 35K points for economy? And a round trip domestic AA is 25K points?
Return Journey= Round Trip

Your other numbers are correct for award redemption.

Multiply x1.5 for PE, x2 for Business x3 for First.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ingy
After reading the terms and conditions of the offer page, there is no mention of waiting for the 16th of November. It says simply if you are not a member they will enroll you.
Thanks for the clarification! That's what I figured, it just makes the whole "only members can apply befor Nov.16" line irrelevant. I just applied! (now to wait 14 days)
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
...unfortunately AA does not offer awards to Alaska (at least on their website) which I have found offer the best redemption value for domestic awards.
AA does fly to ANC from DFW. May be it has become a seasonal service - therefore you are not able to find it now.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
I had the British Airways Visa in 2006 and canceled in 2007. Does anyone know if I will be able to get the 100,000 if I get another card now?

thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by jzafar
I had the British Airways Visa in 2006 and canceled in 2007. Does anyone know if I will be able to get the 100,000 if I get another card now?

thanks.
The Chase T&C say no, but YMMV.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by rrgg
Originally Posted by guv1976
Stay tuned. I've posted a question in the BA forum for the BAEC rep to tell us whether first class on a two-cabin AA aircraft counts as first class or business class for BAEC redemption purposes.
AA releases these award seats as Z just like other first awards. Since BA has to book into the same system, I'm not sure how they could do what you suggest even if they wanted to?
I'm thinking you are correct. I finally broke down and enrolled in BAEC today to try some test bookings. DFW-SNA in F came up as 75,000 miles roundtrip, and LAX-HNL in F came up as 105,000 miles. So it appears that BAEC treats AA F as F, even on two-class aircraft. It's a shame, especially since AA treats two-class F as the equivalent of J for AAdvantage award redemption, as well as for oneworld redemption. But obviously BAEC is free to set its own redemption policies. If only we could convince AA to denominate its premium cabins on domestic two-class aircraft as J instead of F.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
quick question...are there easy ways to get activity on your BA account? in the event i won't be able to redeem these 100k miles in the next 3 years i was wondering if you can do something equivalent to redeeming a magazine subscription to extend the expiration date.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just applied for me and Chase will be sending me a response via US Mail within 15 days...on the website.

In my email it says:

Your credit card application has been received and we will be sending you a response via U.S. Mail within 15 to 30 days.

Last edited by gpapadop; Nov 7, 2009 at 9:41 pm Reason: new info
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
quick question...are there easy ways to get activity on your BA account? in the event i won't be able to redeem these 100k miles in the next 3 years i was wondering if you can do something equivalent to redeeming a magazine subscription to extend the expiration date.
you can always credit an AA (not TATL) flight to BA account, no?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
there are lots of simple ways - you don't need to "waste" your miles on a redemption like that.

credit card activity counts, so even if you're going to cancel this card, make a transaction the statement period before. that way, you can extend your miles expiration up to a year.

beyond that, you can credit AA flights, rental cars, hotels, etc. I imagine you just might use one of those products in the next 3 (or 4) years.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
you can always credit an AA (not TATL) flight to BA account, no?
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
there are lots of simple ways - you don't need to "waste" your miles on a redemption like that.

credit card activity counts, so even if you're going to cancel this card, make a transaction the statement period before. that way, you can extend your miles expiration up to a year.

beyond that, you can credit AA flights, rental cars, hotels, etc. I imagine you just might use one of those products in the next 3 (or 4) years.
Thanks for the suggestions. Odds are I'll find a use for the miles in the next 3 (or 4) years. Guess there's nothing to do now but apply!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
BA has an on-line shopping mall just like US-based airlines. That's probably the easiest/cheapest way to keep an account active.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold, VS Gold
I just got the same reply.

Waiting for US Mail.

In my email it says:

Your credit card application has been received and we will be sending you a response via U.S. Mail within 15 to 30 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.