FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1013709-expired-2009-offer-100-000-miles-new-ba-chase-visa.html)

moondog Dec 14, 2009 11:59 am

Originally Posted by SirDomino (Post 12983869)
From the calculator here

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...6#CalculatePod

I put in "US" for Leaving From, "Japan" for GOING TO, and selected economy and it stated 96,000 miles + $255.00 cash or 120,000 miles with no cash. And I meant to say "Business" rather than "1st" for the 240,000 miles.

So the Voucher would be no good going to Japan directly? Hmmm... So I guess it would be a waste to spend $30k to get the voucher.

As it stands now I would have to spend 96k miles x 2 = 192,000 miles + $255 x 2 = $510.00 + fees for 2 tickets to Tokyo.

Hopefully these are all round trip, right??? ;)

Why would you do that to yourself when you can simply fly to Japan on a partner for 25k/50k each way in Y/J, without fuel surcharges to boot? Seems like a no brainer to me.

SirDomino Dec 14, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm curious, if I am a few days away from the 90 day cutoff for spending the $2,000 can I just purchase a product before the 90 days is up, hold onto it until the miles post, and then return it? Or will they take the miles back?

allergictocoach Dec 14, 2009 12:00 pm

Regarding the trip to NRT I priced SFO-NRT for January in business class for 50k miles and $74 in taxes for the one way on JL. I would think the gent would be able to draw similar luck from other US cities for what looks like 100k RT so he should be good w his 200k for 2 seats....no going via Europe.

Aitchly Dec 14, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by SirDomino (Post 12984058)
I'm curious, if I am a few days away from the 90 day cutoff for spending the $2,000 can I just purchase a product before the 90 days is up, hold onto it until the miles post, and then return it? Or will they take the miles back?

Yes, but you should probably plan to spend up to 2K within that next billing statement. Perhaps you could buy gift cards to your local grocery store.

SirDomino Dec 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Aitchly (Post 12984096)
Yes, but you should probably plan to spend up to 2K within that next billing statement. Perhaps you could buy gift cards to your local grocery store.

So I have to keep using the card and make sure that the balance works out to being above $2k before returning the product?

For example, I have spent $1,000 and then I buy a $1,000 LCD TV a week or two before the 3 month deadline, hold onto it for 89 days and then return it for a full refund to be posted onto my account. If I keep using the card normally I could easily obtain $2k per card over 4 or 5 months. So will that mean that they won't care? or will they look at that $1,000 return/credit as applying to the first 3 months and will they try to take back the miles?

I would think once they posted it should be fine. I also thought they considered returns/credit as payments towards the balance?

That way I would have 5 months or so to get $2k rather then just the 3 months. right?

SirDomino Dec 14, 2009 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 12984045)
Why would you do that to yourself when you can simply fly to Japan on a partner for 25k/50k each way in Y/J, without fuel surcharges to boot? Seems like a no brainer to me.

So you are saying to book directly with AA instead of giong through BA to maximize the miles and save cash?

swdke Dec 14, 2009 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SirDomino (Post 12984223)
So you are saying to book directly with AA instead of giong through BA to maximize the miles and save cash?

My assumption to what is being said is that if you fly on a partner airline, such as AA, you will redeem fewer miles, and pay fees, than with flying on BA metal. You still need to redeem your BA miles with BA, but use them for parther flights, not BA flights.

Happy Dec 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by SirDomino (Post 12984116)
So I have to keep using the card and make sure that the balance works out to being above $2k before returning the product?

For example, I have spent $1,000 and then I buy a $1,000 LCD TV a week or two before the 3 month deadline, hold onto it for 89 days and then return it for a full refund to be posted onto my account. If I keep using the card normally I could easily obtain $2k per card over 4 or 5 months. So will that mean that they won't care? or will they look at that $1,000 return/credit as applying to the first 3 months and will they try to take back the miles?

I would think once they posted it should be fine. I also thought they considered returns/credit as payments towards the balance?

That way I would have 5 months or so to get $2k rather then just the 3 months. right?

You may want to think twice before you play the buy / return game on Chase cards.

Chase can, and does, go to your FF account to deduct the negative balance. It seems Chase has far more control in place for the bonuses and regular spending miles / points earned than other issuers. Just FYI.

And if your FF account is emptied out because of your redemption, at least be prepared you may get charged by BA on the shortfall of miles. This happened with a poster on his UA account reported many moons back.

Also keep in mind, most high-priced electronics have a limit time for return, usually 14 days, AND a 15% restocking fee. I am almost certain you would not find a 60 day return policy on a LCD TV with many retailers. May be WalMart the only place if they still have 60 days on electronic items return.

As for redeem AA flights using BA miles, you do this thru your BA program because this is BA miles you are using.

So if you contemplate this method to extend your timeframe in spending the required amount, make sure you have enough balance in your FF program account to take the negative, i.e. the return of your merchandise.

To save you further more confusion, you can read the excellent STICKY on BA forum about BAEC program, basically most questions you have are answered right there.

Seriously, people, there are some very helpful FTers who volunteered their time and efforts to write up STICKIES providing excellent Answers on many questions newbies would have. Check the correspondent programs STICKIES right on FT forums that would save you lots of time spent on blindly searching and asking questions.

Happy Dec 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by SirDomino (Post 12983283)
I have been reading through pages upon pages of posts and I am still a little confused and would appreciate it if someone could help clarify things.

My wife and I signed up for the card so we could go on a trip next summer to Tokyo. Leaving out of Florida (VPS or PNS) and landing in Tokyo (Narita?), possibly going through Dallas. I was hoping to use the 200,000 miles for that trip but now I am not sure if it I can. I have read everything from excessive fees to not being able to travel to Asia to having to go through Europe to get to Japan.

Read the Sticky in BA forum on award redemption, in particularly regarding the One Partner chart which is also detailed on BA website, as well as discussed several doz times on this long thread.

You can use AA to go to NRT if you want your domestic portion also covered by the award. All segments on AA of course.

Or you can use JL to go to NRT, but you have to pay for your own way to get to the JL gateway cities in US. You cannot use both AA and JL on the One Partner only award which by far is the "cheapest" type to utilize your BA miles.

Personally I would get myself to JL gateway to take JL business class which is a better product than AA and the Sakura lounge in NRT is much better than AA's AC.

Again, spend some time to read the Sticky on BA forum would help you understand the program much better.

SJS58 Dec 14, 2009 1:09 pm

I have not been able to take a picture of the screen with the offer...does anyone have the ability to post the "shot" of the BA/chase offer? is this possible?

Aitchly Dec 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by SirDomino (Post 12984116)

Sure. It is a bit unethical, but would likely work. You are only causing problems for the store.

I suggest buying a product that can be used in the future, like gift cards . . . or stamps off eBay. You can even turn around and resell them if you're short on cash.

mugen910 Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Aitchly (Post 12984096)

Rumor has it that if you google "4.5% cashback Amex" you should be set with hitting that 2k limit. Think of it as a budget for the next few weeks :D

Jeeves Dec 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Both my wife and I got the card before Thanksgiving. Both of us have been charging away like crazy. I called the customer service line and the automated system told us we are both over $2,000 in spending. Went to check our miles balances and we have both been awarded our 100K in bonuses.

I haven't even received my first statement yet. How cool is that!

Happy Dec 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeves (Post 12984733)
Both my wife and I got the card before Thanksgiving. Both of us have been charging away like crazy. I called the customer service line and the automated system told us we are both over $2,000 in spending. Went to check our miles balances and we have both been awarded our 100K in bonuses.

But I guess your statements already closed. The snail mail would take a week or more to arrive you after the actual statement close date.

Chuckles Dec 14, 2009 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeves (Post 12984733)

That is way, way cool!!! My GF and I both have our first spend 50k each. Will both hit $2k this month. ^ She was not so sure of this FF miles stuff at first, but she is getting excited about it now :p