FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1013709-expired-2009-offer-100-000-miles-new-ba-chase-visa.html)

gleff Nov 4, 2009 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 12769173)
So should I cancel my existing BA card immediately? Or should I keep it and get one for my wife?

Well, the wife will definitely want one. ^

But I have a question in to the execs at Chase on whether someone that has had a BA Visa in the past can re-apply now for this card and earn the signup bonus.

That aside, you don't need to cancel your existing card and get a new one for the companion award benefit -- that's something that all BA Visa cards issued by Chase will have.

I'm just trying to find out whethere there's any way a past cardholder can get that 100k bonus!!

Mr. Bean Nov 4, 2009 8:21 pm

IIRC, 100,000 BA miles gets a oneworld award (up to 20,000 miles) (in Y, but that's still pretty good).

dldkjones Nov 4, 2009 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 12769512)
It works ONLY in conjunction with an award ticket. It's 2 award tickets for the price of one. ^

and for any class of service too.^^

Mr. Bean Nov 4, 2009 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by dldkjones (Post 12769543)
and for any class of service too.^^

does it work for partner metal or only BA metal?

nwa330 Nov 4, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm all over this promotion. Both my wife and I. A couple of coin purchases and off to Dubai I go. I've been out of the mile game for a while but these last few month have secured free travel for the next couple of years with all the promotions out there.

Looks like BA will get me to Dubia

CO crdeit card, debit card, checking account, mileathon, 50k in coins should get me to Europe 3 times

Delta has racked up another 150k. maybe 1 domestic ticket with them. (mile devaluation)

30000 SPG point 3-7 nights hotel.

Keep these promotions coming.

thepla Nov 4, 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330 (Post 12769827)

Delta has racked up another 150k. maybe 1 domestic ticket with them. (mile devaluation)

You really think there are many "MED" awards to only spend 150K?

nwa330 Nov 4, 2009 9:53 pm

Not sure what MED is but Delta wards are a joke now. Good luck using them.

thepla Nov 4, 2009 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330 (Post 12769909)
Not sure what MED is but Delta wards are a joke now. Good luck using them.

MED is for Medium award level. I was joking about how difficult they are to acquire.

tmcneill Nov 4, 2009 10:14 pm

abcx Nov 4, 2009 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by tmcneill (Post 12769979)
Redemption Flights and Redemption Vouchers may only be used for flights on British Airways mainline service, which have a BA prefixed flight number. Travel on franchise, codeshare or alliance airlines is not permitted.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...2/public/en_us

Hmm. That certainly dilutes the value of the 2 for 1 voucher. BA will hit you with hundreds of dollars in fuel surcharges. For example, IIRC, the YQ on flights US-DEL is around 400. So even with these miles, a Y ticket to India will cost you about $600 (incl. taxes and the card fee). Normal coach probably runs around a few hundred dollars more with better availability and routing options and no award booking hassle. No thanks, BA.

I might still get the card but only because the 100k can be used on OneWorld carriers like AA which does not have a YQ. Terrible redemption value (100k for coach upto 20k miles flown like in this US-DEL example), but makes a long-haul ticket about $200 incl. all taxes and card fees which is a decent deal.

Happy Nov 4, 2009 10:31 pm

[QUOTE=abcx;12769996]
I might still get the card but only because the 100k can be used on OneWorld carriers like AA which does not have a YQ. Terrible redemption value (100k for coach upto 20k miles flown like in this US-DEL example), but makes a long-haul ticket about $200 incl. all taxes and card fees which is a decent deal.[/QUOT

Why would it be terrible redemption value for the 20K miles flown OW award?

It is the same as AA's, 100K in Y, 130K in J and 180K in F.

Though I suspect the tax / fee would be much lower using AA miles.

abcx Nov 4, 2009 10:35 pm

[QUOTE=Happy;12770027]

Originally Posted by abcx (Post 12769996)
I might still get the card but only because the 100k can be used on OneWorld carriers like AA which does not have a YQ. Terrible redemption value (100k for coach upto 20k miles flown like in this US-DEL example), but makes a long-haul ticket about $200 incl. all taxes and card fees which is a decent deal.[/QUOT

Why would it be terrible redemption value for the 20K miles flown OW award?

It is the same as AA's, 100K in Y, 130K in J and 180K in F.

Though I suspect the tax / fee would be much lower using AA miles.

I was comparing to *A's 80k award. That's why I said terrible. Of course, if you compare to DL, then I'm sure this is a bargain. Also, shouldn't tax and fees be the same whether you're using AA or BA miles to book awards on AA?

Happy Nov 4, 2009 10:44 pm

[QUOTE=abcx;12770044]

Originally Posted by abcx (Post 12770027)

I was comparing to *A's 80k award. That's why I said terrible. Of course, if you compare to DL, then I'm sure this is a bargain. Also, shouldn't tax and fees be the same whether you're using AA or BA miles to book awards on AA?

You are comparing apple to orange. The OW award is DIFFERENT from the All-Airlines award. The Star A's 80K is the equivalent to AA's All-Airlines award which is 90K in Y, (45K oneway) higher than 80K for Star A, but lower than 100K for OW award.

OW award is a unique award for AA - there is no equivalent.
The rules are totally different from the more well-understood All-Airlines award.

abcx Nov 4, 2009 10:49 pm

[QUOTE=Happy;12770079]

Originally Posted by abcx (Post 12770044)

You are comparing apple to orange. The OW award is DIFFERENT from the All-Airlines award. The Star A's 80K is the equivalent to AA's All-Airlines award which is 90K in Y, (45K oneway) higher than 80K for Star A, but lower than 100K for OW award.

OW award is a unique award for AA - there is no equivalent.
The rules are totally different from the more well-understood All-Airlines award.

Hmm. I see. How much would redeeming BA miles for AA only tickets cost me US-Europe/South Asia/Australia? This page wants me to call BA. :( I imagine it would be cheaper than the oneworld two partner airlines/three airlines one of which is BA awards?

mrpickles Nov 4, 2009 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 12769512)
It works ONLY in conjunction with an award ticket. It's 2 award tickets for the price of one. ^

details here www.ba.com/redeemfor1travelfor2
just got a brochure in the mail

Family account works; anyone at the same household they merge the miles into one account.

And if you cancel the trip more than 24 hours prior to departure the free companion reward certificate is redeposited.