FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1013709-expired-2009-offer-100-000-miles-new-ba-chase-visa.html)

Supratik Dec 14, 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery (Post 12980955)
:cool: My message was "response via US Mail within 15 days." Link to application still working as of 12/13.

Did you get this message when you called? I think that's the status update the OP was referring to. My application started out with "We've received your application and will notify you of our decision in writing in 7-10 days" and then today became the "We received your application on December 11th, and will notify you in two weeks" (note, wording order not exact). Rest of my family's current status is 7-10 days; I'm hoping it will change to the two weeks thing soon. We all applied on the 11th, though rest-of-family applied about 10-12 hours after me.

Happy Dec 14, 2009 9:23 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 12977807)
Spent $2200+ during first billing cycle with 50,000 first time use bonus and no 50,000 $2,000 bonus posting. Called Chase and CSR confirmed 50+50 promotion and would send it to "marketing department" for manual posting.

Originally Posted by allergictocoach (Post 12979961)
I spent about the same amount and only came up with 50K "first use" posting. I wonder if a call to Chase will be necessary or if the next 50K might just show up in a day or so? Any other experiences on the timing of the miles postings?

Do you mind to give the info on WHEN you hit the $2000 spending mark?

Sometimes when it is getting too close to the statement closing date, the system would miss it. It happened with other Chase cards in the past when the required spending hit the statement just a couple days before the close date.

Does the additional 50K showing up on your statement at all?

However I agree with you that a call is in order to resolve this matter ASAP.

tkelvin69 Dec 14, 2009 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 12982763)
Are you sure it is only US-UK flights?

My understanding is all TATL flights you cannot use BA miles to fly AA and vice versa.

As it pertains to flying AA, all TATL flights using BA miles are disallowed as AA only originates out of the U.S. but using AA miles you can fly out of the Caribbean and Canada on BA operated flights.

tkelvin69 Dec 14, 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 12982982)
Do you mind to give the info on WHEN you hit the $2000 spending mark?

Sometimes when it is getting too close to the statement closing date, the system would miss it. It happened with other Chase cards in the past when the required spending hit the statement just a couple days before the close date.

Does the additional 50K showing up on your statement at all?

However I agree with you that a call is in order to resolve this matter ASAP.

I was at $1,800 7 days prior to statement close and $2000+ about 3 days prior.

The 50,000 shows up specifically as first time use of the card and was confirmed by the CSR.

rrgg Dec 14, 2009 9:46 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 12983021)
As it pertains to flying AA, all TATL flights using BA miles are disallowed as AA only originates out of the U.S. but using AA miles you can fly out of the Caribbean and Canada on BA operated flights.

tkelvin69, I think you're looking at the AAdvantage rules for redeeming on BA flights. From reading the BA forum, you cannot redeem BA miles for any AA transatlantic flights at all.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...c-flights.html

Regarding the comment about India, the following appears on the BA website: "British Airways Executive Club members will not earn or redeem miles or earn Tier Points on American Airlines operated transatlantic flights including services to India."
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us

SirDomino Dec 14, 2009 10:14 am

I have been reading through pages upon pages of posts and I am still a little confused and would appreciate it if someone could help clarify things.

My wife and I signed up for the card so we could go on a trip next summer to Tokyo. Leaving out of Florida (VPS or PNS) and landing in Tokyo (Narita?), possibly going through Dallas. I was hoping to use the 200,000 miles for that trip but now I am not sure if it I can. I have read everything from excessive fees to not being able to travel to Asia to having to go through Europe to get to Japan.

I am pretty sure we will be able to spend the $2,000 x 2 card accounts. Not sure if I can get to the $30k though for the companion ticket, unless I buy $30,000 in gift cards. LoL.

I used the calculator here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb

And it appears that it would be 96,000 miles for economy from US to Japan. If I were to spend the $30k to get the "voucher" would that mean I could get two tickets for 96,000 miles for my wife and I? Likewise, if I had the 240,000 miles and could get "1st class" and spent the $30k for the voucher, does that mean I could get two 1st class tickets for the price of 1 in miles?

Still all very confusing. But I suppose that $150 in credit card yearly fees for 200,000 miles for 2 free tickets isn't so bad, although you still have to pay $255 cash each unless I can get 120,000 miles each for the wife and I. I just wish I knew what additional fees I'd have to pay for the "Free tickets" which it doesn't seem to specify. And I also wonder if it means I'll have to fly some god-awful route to redeem the miles rather than a direct FL to TX to Japan route.

If there is someone knowledgeable in this, that can help me decipher using BA miles to go to Tokyo, I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could explain what I'd have to do, what seats we could get, and the possible costs, etc.

guv1976 Dec 14, 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 12982763)
Are you sure it is only US-UK flights?

My understanding is all TATL flights you cannot use BA miles to fly AA and vice versa.

Upthread many pages ago someone already investigated his intention to fly to India using AA but via TATL - he got informed by BAEC that is not allowed.

Happy, I based my comment on what I recall seeing on the Chase/Visa promotional language on the BA site: It said only that BA miles could not be redeemed on AA flights between the U.S. and "London." I assumed -- perhaps wrongly -- that that was the only restriction, but it appears from the Executive Club language quoted that the language used for the credit-card promotion may have been misleading.

lucent23 Dec 14, 2009 10:54 am

I actually have 2 options I am looking at. I would be looking to use these miles either on AA metal from CVG-HNL or LAX-SYD on Qantas. Would I still be charged the fees and surcharges from BA since it would be on partner metal? I can't find anywhere on the BA website that tells me what fees apply when booking award tickets using BA miles on partner flights. This is a good deal if you aren't hit with having to pay outrageous fees in the process. Where can I find what fees would apply to award tickets?

Mr. Bean Dec 14, 2009 11:01 am

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 12983126)
tkelvin69, I think you're looking at the AAdvantage rules for redeeming on BA flights. From reading the BA forum, you cannot redeem BA miles for any AA transatlantic flights at all.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...c-flights.html

Regarding the comment about India, the following appears on the BA website: "British Airways Executive Club members will not earn or redeem miles or earn Tier Points on American Airlines operated transatlantic flights including services to India."
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us

correct, but AA's TATL's are only US-Europe/India. No Canada/Carribean/Mexico TATL service on AA.

You can earn/redeem AA miles on BA metal from Canada/Mexico/Carribean to Europe.

Mr. Bean Dec 14, 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by SirDomino (Post 12983283)
And it appears that it would be 96,000 miles for economy from US to Japan. If I were to spend the $30k to get the "voucher" would that mean I could get two tickets for 96,000 miles for my wife and I? Likewise, if I had the 240,000 miles and could get "1st class" and spent the $30k for the voucher, does that mean I could get two 1st class tickets for the price of 1 in miles?

Where exactly did you come up with that figure? There is nothing like that in your link.

To use the 2 for 1 voucher, you have to fly BA metal (so via LHR to NRT). I think that costs more miles and more fees than TPAC route.

rrgg Dec 14, 2009 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean (Post 12983633)
correct, but AA's TATL's are only US-Europe/India. No Canada/Carribean/Mexico TATL service on AA.

You can earn/redeem AA miles on BA metal from Canada/Mexico/Carribean to Europe.

OK, but it doesn't matter whether AA starts offering other TATL service. BA doesn't permit award travel on AA TATL flights at all.

SirDomino Dec 14, 2009 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean (Post 12983686)
Where exactly did you come up with that figure? There is nothing like that in your link.

To use the 2 for 1 voucher, you have to fly BA metal (so via LHR to NRT). I think that costs more miles and more fees than TPAC route.

From the calculator here

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...6#CalculatePod

I put in "US" for Leaving From, "Japan" for GOING TO, and selected economy and it stated 96,000 miles + $255.00 cash or 120,000 miles with no cash. And I meant to say "Business" rather than "1st" for the 240,000 miles.

So the Voucher would be no good going to Japan directly? Hmmm... So I guess it would be a waste to spend $30k to get the voucher.

As it stands now I would have to spend 96k miles x 2 = 192,000 miles + $255 x 2 = $510.00 + fees for 2 tickets to Tokyo.

Hopefully these are all round trip, right??? ;)

Happy Dec 14, 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 12983550)
Happy, I based my comment on what I recall seeing on the Chase/Visa promotional language on the BA site: It said only that BA miles could not be redeemed on AA flights between the U.S. and "London." I assumed -- perhaps wrongly -- that that was the only restriction, but it appears from the Executive Club language quoted that the language used for the credit-card promotion may have been misleading.

You have to rely on the ACTUAL Program rules rather than the promo languages which are often either omitting info or too general.

Dont make assumption, use the FACT as your source of information. Else, not only you yourself would be misinformed, others may be misled by the unintentional error.

Happy Dec 14, 2009 11:42 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 (Post 12983048)
I was at $1,800 7 days prior to statement close and $2000+ about 3 days prior.

The 50,000 shows up specifically as first time use of the card and was confirmed by the CSR.

Posted 3 days before statement close, or charges made 3 days before statement close? There is difference there.

Has to be POSTED before statement close.

The other culprit is the system handling the additional 50K bonus not on a daily basis, but on a batch process once a week or similar fashion and yours just missed the cut-off.

TravelinWilly Dec 14, 2009 11:52 am

Originally Posted by allergictocoach (Post 12980688)
I like a lot of folks would like to get the deal taken care of as soon as possible.

I'm one of those folks. If I were signing up for this promo and my main source of point earning was traditionally, say, Amex., I would want to simply get this out of the way. Spend the $2k (well, $2,075 to be exact) and not have to think about it again. Until it's done, it's one more thing to have to try and track.