FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1013709-expired-2009-offer-100-000-miles-new-ba-chase-visa.html)

gregorygrady Dec 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 12980224)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The second 50,000-mile bonus is awarded only if one has charged $2,000 to the card within three months of approval of the card application.

Whoops, brain fart on my part. I wrote 12 months, but I meant over the course of "3 months". Several here seem to be insistant on getting the $2k spending in the first month. :confused:

moondog Dec 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 12980224)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The second 50,000-mile bonus is awarded only if one has charged $2,000 to the card within three months of approval of the card application.

Yeah, there's a bit more pressure wrt this deal than average. In fact, I was talking with my mom about her new card last night and she advised me that she doesn't have plans to spend $2k during the next 3 months. I floated the perkstreet idea by her, but she was not impressed... so it looks like some coins are in her future (yes, I will probably have to do the legwork).

allergictocoach Dec 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady (Post 12980173)
+1

And why the huge rush to get the $2k in spending to get 50k/100k BA miles? Why not just wait and charge up your $2k over the course of the next year and take the second 50k miles when they come.

I don't see the reason/rush to go buy Amex Gift Cards just to get to $2k spending. I mean, you have to spend the $2k in Amex GCs at some time in the future as well, plus you have to pay transaction fees on them (~$4-6 per GC to buy them), so why not just spend $2k on your CC at a leisurely pace and take your miles when they come. Seems like many are out to get the miles the very second they can........................and then the miles are probably gonna end up sitting in the BA acct for months and months (if not years) until that person can figure out a trip to use them on. @:-)

I like a lot of folks would like to get the deal taken care of as soon as possible. 2K is easily reachable in a month using most everyday expenses/travel/bills...etc. I met the requirement, Chase owes me the miles -others have received all of their miles - why would I want to wait to get them? Especially since it seems there may be a glitch that won't fix itself given others having banked all of the miles. It has nothing to do with whether or not I may choose to use the miles now or later. They are a commodity and I'd like to have them on hand at the earliest possible opportunity in case I would happen to need them. Just for reference I don't usually wait 45 days to inquire about the status of a check I'm expecting either.

Mr. Bean Dec 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady (Post 12980447)
Whoops, brain fart on my part. I wrote 12 months, but I meant over the course of "3 months". Several here seem to be insistant on getting the $2k spending in the first month. :confused:

the sooner you get them, the sooner you can spend them. plus, declining time value of miles, etc. :D

mrx900 Dec 13, 2009 10:59 pm

Just Applied for It

I just applied for it using the link on Page 1 (RedSox)..so hopefully I get the 100K miles cuz now, when you click on the link to the card from siging up for their FF membership, it boasts only 30K miles.

st.exupery Dec 13, 2009 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hertz4me (Post 12977761)
everybody who gets the 2 weeks message seems to get approved, 7-10 day message declined.

:cool: My message was "response via US Mail within 15 days." Link to application still working as of 12/13.

reversebackwards Dec 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean (Post 12976464)
does this actually work? I thought AmEx GC's did not count for spend/points.

It came up on Fatwallet, couple people have done it and had it coded as a purchase, not a cash advance:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...uery=employees

st.exupery Dec 13, 2009 11:43 pm

In lieu of dollar coins, gift cards, gold, etc. you can pay personal and estimated tax with the card, 2.49% fee -- $49.80 on $2000.

TrueBlueFlyer Dec 14, 2009 12:36 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery (Post 12980955)
:cool: My message was "response via US Mail within 15 days." Link to application still working as of 12/13.

I applied from Australia... same message.

I took screen shots of the 50k + 50k offer.

It was 1:45am 12/14 EST when I finally submitted my application.

I had to create a yahoo.co.uk e-mail account as my gmail.com didn't seem to work, nor any other e-mail's I own that ended in .com or .net

Won't get to activate the card until I get home to the US after Christmas (IF I'm approved) Should be interesting.

--Russ

bobert24 Dec 14, 2009 1:00 am

Ok, forgive me for asking such a simple question, but I've read 30something pages and can't read 70 more tonight.

I know BA charges much higher fees and surcharges for using miles than, say, AA. Am I correct in my understanding that there's no way to use BA miles on AA on TATL flights? e.g., JFK-FCO? So I'd be paying a couple hundred dollars worth of fees on each ticket?

Just trying to figure out the true cost and value of these points, especially where my credit score comes into play.

guv1976 Dec 14, 2009 4:57 am

Originally Posted by benjiem1
Ok, forgive me for asking such a simple question, but I've read 30something pages and can't read 70 more tonight.

I know BA charges much higher fees and surcharges for using miles than, say, AA. Am I correct in my understanding that there's no way to use BA miles on AA on TATL flights? e.g., JFK-FCO? So I'd be paying a couple hundred dollars worth of fees on each ticket?

Just trying to figure out the true cost and value of these points, especially where my credit score comes into play.

You should be able to use BA miles for AA TATL, as long as you are not flying an AA flight between the U.S. and the U.K. So, for example, the AA nonstops between JFK and FCO, CDG, BRU, ZRH, etc., should all be redeemable with BA miles. Or you could use the BA miles on Iberia, and connect (or stopover) in MAD en route to your destination.

Edited to add: The italicized language appears to be incorrect. See posts 1501 and following in this thread. But BA miles can still be used on non-AA partner carriers (Finnair, Iberia, Aer Lingus) for TATL travel. My apologies for posting incorrect information.

Bergy Bits Dec 14, 2009 7:38 am

More ideas for spending

I prepay a lot of things in order to meet minimum card usage without having to keep track of a lot of smaller purchases.

Some examples - I prepay electricity, cable, phone/internet and natural gas - all of which I'm going to have to pay sooner or later anyway. Since vet bills are another huge expense in our home, I prepay our vet as well if it serves my purpose. Cable, phone, and vet are free of any user fees. Electricity & natural gas companies in our state only allow a maximum of $500 to be charged at a time, with flat $3.45 "convenience" fee. I can charge several $500 charges if I want, but each one costs a flat $3.45.

This has always worked really well for us & makes us look good to the utilities & the vet at the same time! ^

bobert24 Dec 14, 2009 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Bergy Bits (Post 12982271)
I prepay a lot of things in order to meet minimum card usage without having to keep track of a lot of smaller purchases.

Some examples - I prepay electricity, cable, phone/internet and natural gas - all of which I'm going to have to pay sooner or later anyway. Since vet bills are another huge expense in our home, I prepay our vet as well if it serves my purpose. Cable, phone, and vet are free of any user fees. Electricity & natural gas companies in our state only allow a maximum of $500 to be charged at a time, with flat $3.45 "convenience" fee. I can charge several $500 charges if I want, but each one costs a flat $3.45.

This has always worked really well for us & makes us look good to the utilities & the vet at the same time! ^

Do you just call them up and say you'd like to make a prepayment? That sounds like the easiest/safest thing to do.

Thanks guv. That helps a lot.

Bergy Bits Dec 14, 2009 8:41 am

benjiem1, Natural gas & electricity I do on their respective websites. That's just the way I started & I'm not sure if I can do it by phone. Cable & phone/internet I do by phone, but again, that's the way I started & I've (lazily) never explored any other way. The vet obviously I do in person at the office, and it has the added advantage that when I want to leave quickly with one of our many pets, I don't have to wait my turn checking out because the staff knows I have a credit balance & I just pick up my receipt at the next visit. I used to charge our real estate & motor vehicle taxes & our water/sewer (as well as those of any friends & family who would let me) but a few years ago our town started charging a percentage fee for the privilege, so I quit that. If you review every one of your monthly expenses, you may find others where prepaying is a no brainer. If there's a fee involved (like my $3.45 for 500 miles) you just have to evaluate whether it's worth it to you. ^

Happy Dec 14, 2009 8:53 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 12981699)

You should be able to use BA miles for AA TATL, as long as you are not flying an AA flight between the U.S. and the U.K. So, for example, the AA nonstops between JFK and FCO, CDG, BRU, ZRH, etc., should all be redeemable with BA miles. Or you could use the BA miles on Iberia, and connect (or stopover) in MAD en route to your destination.

Are you sure it is only US-UK flights?

My understanding is all TATL flights you cannot use BA miles to fly AA and vice versa.

Upthread many pages ago someone already investigated his intention to fly to India using AA but via TATL - he got informed by BAEC that is not allowed.

On a side note, for those newbies who keep asking award redemption questions, Please go to BA forum there is an EXCELLENT Sticky about BAEC program and most everything you keep asking, is listed in that Sticky by sections. You will get a much better understanding by reading the BA forum Sticky.