Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Dasanii
Oh, I forgot to mention that if local spending with no Unionpay or Amex is accepted, I will have to use Shacomm for Visa as their $8/AM is better than Fubon.
Isn't Citi Premier Miles also HK8/Am? And Diners is HK6/AM?

By the way, what is the rate for Citi Rewards Plat?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Oh, I forgot to mention that if local spending with no Unionpay or Amex is accepted, I will have to use Shacomm for Visa as their $8/AM is better than Fubon.

Citi reward plat is 15 HKD to 1AM, 5x pts when to comes to super market and stuff like that (forgot the list)

Per conversion charge also applies. I got it just because I won't cut premiermiles anyway and they give me 50K pt as welcome offer which I end up saying 'Why not'
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by IncyWincy

To be honest, even if Citi Premier offers HK8/AM with no redemption fee, I don't think its worth it for me to have such a large spread of AM on different cards, especially when some of them expire within a year. I might be losing a bit, but rather keep my credit cards to the least amount, or else how else can I fit them all in my wallet
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Was considered, no. It's a very unique item.

The merchant involved has a shop in Pacific Place...any promos there?
they DO have offers...
http://www.pacificplace.com.hk/en/mall/events/
not extremely interesting tho. if you can split payment across a few days then you can get 2 AMC tickets each ($2800/2 tickets, $100min on dining and retail respectively.)
dont forget AMEX plat gives you extra warentee if goods is indeed special and expensive. but CUP is handy to max out offer on

AND 3 hours of free parking
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:08 am

So now that I just officially received my Bankcomm CUP, Shacomm Visa, and DBS Amex, im trying to juggle my spending to meet each of the welcome offers without neglecting my CX AMEX 3 month welcome offer. I think I won't participate in the DBS Amex welcome offer as it requires 20k spending, and the Bankcomm CUP welcome offer is still confusing as heck for me. The Shacomm is simple, spend $3k and receive 3000AM.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
they DO have offers...
http://www.pacificplace.com.hk/en/mall/events/
not extremely interesting tho. if you can split payment across a few days then you can get 2 AMC tickets each ($2800/2 tickets, $100min on dining and retail respectively.)
dont forget AMEX plat gives you extra warentee if goods is indeed special and expensive. but CUP is handy to max out offer on

AND 3 hours of free parking
Thanks
But that means I have to eat there. And park there. Neither of which is necessary for the other shops of the merchant.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:17 am

To be honest, even if Citi Premier offers HK8/AM with no redemption fee, I don't think its worth it for me to have such a large spread of AM on different cards, especially when some of them expire within a year. I might be losing a bit, but rather keep my credit cards to the least amount, or else how else can I fit them all in my wallet
For me, it's just that I don't have *that* many retail transactions that aren't overseas, Unionpay, AE or dining. The main one is my skin doctor, but I have 3 Dah Sing My Favourite Merchant cards earning 5% cash back on whatever outrageous bill he presents (which I then pass on to my work medical insurer for reimbursement).

Yes, having Citibank Premiermiles avoids the Shacom variable $10/1,000 mile fee. But you have to pay $100 min every two years anyway (Shacom points only valid for two years), and furthermore Citibank welcome offers like the current Premiermiles 10,000 mile + Jet Airways tix to JFK/LHR/MXP too makes churning Citibank and using Shacom in its stead very worthwhile (my latest churn will be over at the end of October.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Thanks
But that means I have to eat there. And park there. Neither of which is necessary for the other shops of the merchant.
indeed. and the return is therefore minimal in a marginal sense.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
BCOM CUP

Just got this in email; is this new? (sorry for the formatting, I've cut this down for ease of reading)

___

Now, when you succesfully apply for the Bank of Communications CUP Dual Currency Diamond Card you can earn up to 9,000 Asia Miles (equal to 72,000 bonus points)! And, if you apply with the downloaded application form linked to this email, you will receive an additional 1,000 Asia Miles!

Apart from earning up to 10,000 Asia Miles with this unique welcome offer, you can also convert your bonus points to Asia Miles at the special rate of 8 points per mile on or before 31 December 2011.

Special conversion rate for Bank of Communications CUP Dual Currency Diamond Card – just for you!

Spending criteria

What you earn
Every spending at:

HKD300 or above in Hong Kong or overseas (excluding Mainland China), or
RMB300 or above with merchants in the "restaurant" or "hotel" categories in Mainland China
HKD/RMB 4 = 8 bonus points = 1

Other spending HKD/RMB 8 = 8 bonus points = 1

Successfully apply for the Bank of Communications CUP Dual Currency Diamond Card and here's an example of what you will earn in the first 3 months since new card issuance with accumulated retail spending of HKD/RMB18,000...

How to earn
Bonus points earned
Asia Miles earned
Basic bonus points earned
2,250*

Triple bonus points in the first 3 months
6,750*

Extra Asia Miles earned by downloading the application form here
-

Total

*Converting bonus points to Asia Miles on or before 31 December 2011 with a special conversion rate of 8 bonus points to 1 Asia Mile.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:51 am

Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

toplayer: it's been out for three weeks already http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-asia-miles/910542-best-credit-card-coversion-rate-asiamiles-2009-fters-based-hk-60.html
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

toplayer: it's been out for three weeks already http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...sed-hk-60.html
Whoops sorry, should have checked!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:09 pm

Shacom cards - 5X on PRC and Taiwan spending to 31 Oct

http://www.shacombank.com.hk/bankscb...io_leaflet.pdf (sorry, no English version, another English-challenged bank like DBS)

Any card-present spending - no internet orders, fax or email
No cap on PRC/TW spending
Applicable to all Shacom core cards and co-branded cards including Po Leung Kuk Card (Unionpay card excluded)
No registration needed for 5X offer

There's also a 10X offer on specified merchants which require registration.

Timely...about to go there.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:58 pm

This might have been out for a while, but I just checked. CX AMEX is offering more welcome points: http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...me/elite.shtml

I believe before it was spend 5000 welcoming or 3000AM, but now its 8000.
And the AM/$ is now 1/$3 for local selected merchants and overseas is 1/$3 as well.

Before it was 1/$4 for all local spending and 1/$2 for overseas.

Bit if a downgrade if you ask me. I'm still on the welcome package of the old terms.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I will be taking the new welcome offer.... That ****** compare to what they have now....

Churning card for welcome offer anyway
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi

I will be taking the new welcome offer.... That ****** compare to what they have now....

Churning card for welcome offer anyway
Farkkkkkk......they've copied the shxthouse Everyday Spend merchants terms from the Plat Credit offer to CX Amex too

I'm in the middle of a CX Amex churn too. I apply for CX Amex in end of Dec, just when I send my SCB PB VI into the shredder. Except for the PB VI card itself, SCB PB has been nothing but a disappointment. I won't bother maintaining my payroll + 0.5M for keeping it.

I'll have a period without Priority Pass between late December and January, but I fly MH J for Christmas this year and as an in-house accountant I do not go anywhere but the office in January at all.

I was a bit nervous about finding spending for $4/mile offer in January/February, where I'll only eat, drink coffee and buy snack food from supermarket. Problem solved!

EDIT: Oh. The 8,000 mile terms end on 31 Oct. Hope they don't water it to 5,000 for January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.