Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
not quite where the interest lies here right now but I've just gotten the annual fee offer from AMEX Plat card. the normal $800 in PnS/Welcome/citysuper/sogo coupon or 160K MR points.
160MR points = half a night in an IC/conrad or a night in many HI/CPs so i might go down that route.
(or 10.6K AM or 6000SPG, which has less value relatively)

FYR, I usually use this card at the supermarkets when there are promotions or at 10x merchants (wilson washing, starbucks, and some 5x merchants.)

ps. percysmith if you have the time to take the msg to HKcard, feel free.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Originally Posted by kaka
not quite where the interest lies here right now but I've just gotten the annual fee offer from AMEX Plat card. the normal $800 in PnS/Welcome/citysuper/sogo coupon or 160K MR points.
160MR points = half a night in an IC/conrad or a night in many HI/CPs so i might go down that route.
(or 10.6K AM or 6000SPG, which has less value relatively)
I got the $400 coupon about 2 weeks ago. CS said that I need to spend $100k on card for the card year to qualify for $800 coupon. Renewed it anyway as their privileges are actually quite useful.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by toplayer
I got the $400 coupon about 2 weeks ago. CS said that I need to spend $100k on card for the card year to qualify for $800 coupon. Renewed it anyway as their privileges are actually quite useful.
i dont think i've spent 100K on this card itself but including all AMEX (CX and this, excluding bank AMEXs) i probs have. (iphones :O!)
Old Aug 30, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
i dont think i've spent 100K on this card itself but including all AMEX (CX and this, excluding bank AMEXs) i probs have. (iphones :O!)
Damn I should have negotiated harder! That's what CS told me, 100k for the $800 coupon and I only had $65k on this. I specifically asked if I could include the SCB Amex as I had much more on that and was told no, as it was a different bank... Actually let me dig up the email :

__

Sorry the spending on Standard Chartered Amex is not counted. Because this is not our card, they just shared American Express merchant network.

Last edited by toplayer; Aug 30, 2011 at 1:52 am
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:04 am
Suspended

but for me CX AMEX + Plat for sure i've put 100K there for the number of iphones i have sold + I usually use them cards for "mistake" fares/CX Holidays package.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
I tried to open an Internet Banking account while collecting the BankComm CUP Diamond Card. However, the agent said that I need to open a savings account with BankComm first before I can do that So, that means that I cannot use the card to pay bills online????

This wasn't the case with ShaComm and I can now access the Internet Banking site for ShaComm without even opening any savings account with them.
No blxxdy way.

Your card no is already your internet banking user ID. All you need is an internet password.

If you've activated your card online, you'll be able to set an internet password online.

If you activated your card by phone, then you have to take the card to a Bankcomm branch and request to set an internet password over the counter. It'll initially be a 6-digit PIN, you can change it to an alphanumeric PIN after first login.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:34 am

Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Originally Posted by toplayer
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/forum_show.php?id=5557&p=1

kaka and toplayer I'll post your data points to hongkongcard.com shortly.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:01 am

kaka - P.S. why use CX Amex ($8/mile) instead of DBS Black ($6/mile) for iPhone churning? DBS only started clamping down on iPhone churning recently.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Originally Posted by percysmith
No blxxdy way.

Your card no is already your internet banking user ID. All you need is an internet password.

If you've activated your card online, you'll be able to set an internet password online.

If you activated your card by phone, then you have to take the card to a Bankcomm branch and request to set an internet password over the counter. It'll initially be a 6-digit PIN, you can change it to an alphanumeric PIN after first login.
Thanks for the info percysmith. Well, I didn't know I can actually active the card online *duh*

I activated it using the phone in front of the agent and asked her to set up an internet password for me. She initially asked me to enter a 6-digit PIN number as you wrote, but then, she called up her supervisor and then asked me whether I already have a BankComm account. When I said "no", she said that I cannot use the card to pay for online merchants (like bills payment) and canceled my pin-request

I left the bank feeling a bit confused about this internet banking thingy
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Thanks for the info percysmith. Well, I didn't know I can actually active the card online *duh*

I activated it using the phone in front of the agent and asked her to set up an internet password for me. She initially asked me to enter a 6-digit PIN number as you wrote, but then, she called up her supervisor and then asked me whether I already have a BankComm account. When I said "no", she said that I cannot use the card to pay for online merchants (like bills payment) and canceled my pin-request

I left the bank feeling a bit confused about this internet banking thingy
BS. Visit another branch.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by percysmith
DBS only started clamping down on iPhone churning recently.
Any source for this? I haven't encountered it yet...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dietevil
Any source for this? I haven't encountered it yet...
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=5307&p=1 (Hades Cheung). This guy did $3M iPhone churning in a period of 6 months tho, DBS closed his account on suspicion of money laundering.

SCB also does this (Aleez) http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=5747&p=1.

Ground Hog got questioned by Amex for buying "a few" iPhones at the same time, but his transaction was allowed and nothing happened to his card http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=5747&p=2
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

500K in iPhone means 100 per month? Not a lot but yes it definitely kick the money laundering alarm, unless you have some credit history with them I guess.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
I know a bit off topic, but do you guys just buy a ton of iPhones when they are available then sell them on eBay or what?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by Dasanii
I know a bit off topic, but do you guys just buy a ton of iPhones when they are available then sell them on eBay or what?
I used to use eBay but then eBay started limiting auctions / sales to 5 per week. It's all a bunch of red tape and PayPal takes a cut with foreign exchange fees.

Just take them down to Sincere? Plaza (先達) in Mongkok. Sometimes less profit, sometimes more profit, but guaranteed they will buy and even if I make just a few hundred, the credit card points more than make up for it.

I don't buy anywhere close to the first guy who got his card cut. Less than 1000 per year; it pretty much ensures that any welcome offer I get is fully utilized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.