Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sp23
I'm also convinced to get that card too!
Just wondering, how do you guys save points as a family? It's just my husband and I, so would I have to get all the cards approved in my name, and give him supplementary cards? It would actually suit us better to have separate cards and accounts, plus the fact I probably wouldn't be approved for so many cards.
sharing cards would be ok.
things you could do: for those cards where points do not expire - get them each of you
split the rest of those do expire.. or just get them but only use 1 as active - keep the other one as inactive so you get lower target to meet for promotions.
for churning: most have 1 year cooling off period, so stagger the churning periods to keep track of the promotions.
If you get something like the HSBC promotion now, you'd get to allocate 10x of those spendings. between my GF and I we are thinking of 5 @ lifestyle and maybe 5@ dining. keep foreign spendings at fubon.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:22 pm
Suspended

have you guys received the letter from HSBC re 5X rewardscash yet? I'll be shot if i dont do those purchases soon...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
have you guys received the letter from HSBC re 5X rewardscash yet? I'll be shot if i dont do those purchases soon...
Not yet (registered Thu 1 Sep).

And there isn't a way to check online or over the phone either (neither online nor phone systems stop repeat applications on same credit card number).
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:06 am

CCB (Asia) credit cards eligible for Asia Miles redemption

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=5831&p=1

On a separate note, Asia Miles program to be introduced from Sep 20 for CCB Plat/Titanium card (NOT Gold card) at a rate of 15 points to 1 mile.
Confirmed by CS: Two CS confirmed the $15/mile basic rate. But neither will confirm the fee or lack of any. More details to be announced mid-Sept.

The basic CCB (Asia) program's pretty stingy - $100 cash rebate per $25K spent, or the upcoming $15/mile.

In the last year or so they try to be competitive by throwing 20X offers from time to time. But some of their programs as horribly gimmicky as SCB e.g. there was one that offered 20X on spending up to $625 per Saturday and $1,562.5 in any month http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=3997

Or see the one below. Initially I didn't discuss CCB (Asia) promos in this thread but now that they will be an AM earner I will now.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:30 am

CCB (Asia) 3X-6X ($5/mile-$2.5/mile) 6 Sep-5 Nov

http://www.asia.ccb.com/hongkong/pro...mo_sectionmain

Two offers (cannot be seperated, offer 1 is actually a penalty clause):

1. $6,000 advanced into your card A/C, bill in Jan 2012. $200 handling fee (nil interest) unless you meet Basic Spending Amount in offer 2.
2. 3X points on "total sum of spending amount" + waiver from $200 handling fee if you meet Basic Spending Amount (me: $10,000). 6x on "total sum of spending amount" if 2nd Tier Spending Amount reached (me: $16,000)

All retail spending local and overseas counted except:
- transactions not posted before 20 Nov 11
- insurance co payments for insurance policies
- online bill pyaments
- Octopus payments
- tax payments

Pretty lax here - online, mail/fax, overseas all appear OK

But because of the handling fee waiver clause I won't sign up for the offer until I'm confident of being able to spend $10K.

Plus I want to check what's the Asia Miles handling fee for CCB before I start spending.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:49 am
Suspended

you've missed the main part that you need to obtain the card before June 1, 2011 and mustnt have participated in the Reward program held from April 20 to October 19, 2011. ..
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:19 am

you've missed the main part that you need to obtain the card before June 1, 2011 and mustnt have participated in the Reward program held from April 20 to October 19, 2011. ..
Oh yeah. Forgot to highlight those too.

I have no idea what's the April 20 promotion - waiver on cash advance?

In any case I called CCB CS and they made a positive confirmation I'm not caught by the April 20 clause (and I've had this card when the co was still AIG).
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:59 am
Suspended

re HSBC: i called the CC CS and they said we can call them to check. at least for me it's activated
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:35 am

re HSBC: i called the CC CS and they said we can call them to check. at least for me it's activated
I got my letter tonight.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:33 pm
Suspended

should i do a quick summary for Octopus AAVS(per $250 topup):
Citibank(PremierMiles) 31.25 mile ($8/mile)
Citibank(non PremierMiles) 20.83 mile ($12/mile)
Standard Chartered (PB VI) 33.33 miles ($7.5/mile)
Fubon 20.83 mile ($12/mile)
ShaComm 31.25 mile ($8/mile)
BankComm 20.83 mile ($12/mile)
DBS (The Black Card) 1DB$ or 20.83 mile (0.4% or $12/mile)
HKBEA (Platuinum) 31.25 mile ($8/mile)
Wing Lung 20.83 mile ($12/mile)

Cashback only
Dahsing(on selected cards) 1%? (same as "normal" spendings), ($8/ANA or UA mile, or $6/BA mile)

Terrible reward rates (<=0.5% or >$12/mile), or irrelavent (CX forum here)
HSBC 1 Rewardcash or 15 miles (0.4% or $16.67/mile)
Hang Seng 1 Cash Dollar (0.4%), ($12/JL mile)
DBS(non-Black Card) 1 DB$ or 16.67 miles (0.4% or $15/mile)
Standard Chartered 16.67 miles ($15/mile)
ICBC $1.25 (0.5%)
BoC 16.67 miles ($15/mile)
Wing Hang $1 (0.4%), or ($8/odd Wing Hang mile)
Cheong Hing $1.25 (0.5%)

BankComm, ICBC and BoC allows redemption on CA, MU and CZ; DBS allows SQ, MU, CA; citibank (used to, not confirmed for now) allows SQ, KL, DL. and the list is not exlusive - just what i know.

Banks I didn't know/ can't be bothered
Public Bank

Last edited by kaka; Sep 6, 2011 at 11:20 pm
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:12 pm

should i do a quick summary for Octopus AAVS(per $250 topup):
Citibank 20.83 mile ($12/mile)
Fubon 20.83 mile ($12/mile)
ShaComm 31.25 mile ($8/mile)
BankComm 20.83 mile ($12/mile)
DBS (The Black Card) 1DB$ or 20.83 mile (0.4% or $12/mile)
HKBEA (Platuinum) 31.25 mile ($8/mile)
Wing Lung 20.83 mile ($12/mile)
SCB PB VI $7.5/mile

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Citibank PM HKD 8 / Mile
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:34 pm
Suspended

thanks and updates: now that i'm churning CitiPM and SCB banking services, seems like I'm best with ShaComm (I dont have HKBEA and current spendings is already very diluted due to HSBC's promo)

Dining: HSBC #2/Shacomm ($2.67or 4/mile)
Supermarkets/convinient stores: I rarely go - or if I do there's usually some sort of promo going on.
HSBC-designated "Lifestyle" Stores: HSBC #1 ($2.67/mile)
non HSBC designated "Lifestyle" Stores: DBS AMEX/Shacomm ($6 or8/mile)
Non-HKD: Fubon. (DBS AMEX if anticipate go hit Fubon cap) ($3 or 4/mile)
Octopus: Currently Fubon, but shall change to Shacomm soon ($12 to 8/mile)

Welcome promotions: DBS Black, awaiting CX AMEX (which would deem useless, except for stopgap... I cannot spend anywhere close to $120K for those shops on offer. Buy coupons would be too risky! (heck, even $10K is too much! Too bad UNY/Apita/Citysuper isn't included(Can you imagine CS have things cheaper than Wellcome/PnS at original price!?).)

PS. Citysuper is included but 1) you can only store $3000 at a time(!? when i first had my MB at those fair i thought I could put in all the value in there... was that per load or max value to store at the card?) 2) I dont spend all that much @ Citysuper

Last edited by kaka; Sep 6, 2011 at 11:58 pm
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:37 am
Suspended

AMEX sent me a letter telling me if i spend 38000 before feb 2012 i'll get a annual fee waiver and bonus miles
the thing is, i'll get AF waiver if i pay for the plat CC anyway
is that even a letter to show that i'm valued? I'm not sure if i'm bothered to call them to tell them they sort of screwed up and need to do better to keep my business.
eitherway, to get $5.1/mile IF i trigger the target does not seem at all attractive, at this time and day.

Now that they have sent me this mail, i'm actually thinking of telling them i dont feel the love so either give me better goodies whilst i go signup for the elite card, or i'll send them the card when it's done with its life.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Mine:
Foreign spending - SCB AE ($2.5/mile), followed by HSBC Platinum Visa for non AE merchants ($2.78/mile).

Travel agents - SCB AE ($2.5/mile)

Dining & AAVS - Shacomm Platinum Visa ($4/mile and $8/mile respectively)

Bills Payment and CUP local as well as overseas merchants (over HK$300, till end of 2011) - BankComm Diamond CUP (HK$4/mile). They do have a current promo of 3x Bonus Points for Welcome Offers (up to HK$18,000). That translates to HK$1.6/mile (correct me if I am wrong).

Other Local spending - DBS Black Card (HK$6/mile) followed by Citibank PM (HK$8/mile) for non AE merchants.

Supermarkets - my wife usually does all the shopping and she uses cash most of the time. If there's some promo with the Wellcome located downstairs, I would go with Citibank PM ($8/mile) as they give some cash back (like the current HK$75 for spending HK$500). I got HK$60 for a one-time spending of HK$500 in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.