Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Originally Posted by percysmith
Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Huh? the standard deal is 5,000 miles http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...CUPAppform.pdf - are you getting short changed?

Read it carefully The 3,000 AM is for the ShaComm Plat Visa, NOT the BankComm CUP Diamond

I am still opting for the 3x Bonus points + 1,000 extra AM for the BankComm CUP Diamond, for a possible of 12.5k AM for spending 18k. Nothing has changed for that.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:34 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Read it carefully The 3,000 AM is for the ShaComm Plat Visa, NOT the BankComm CUP Diamond

I am still opting for the 3x Bonus points + 1,000 extra AM for the BankComm CUP Diamond, for a possible of 12.5k AM for spending 18k. Nothing has changed for that.
Sorry, I didn't read the last line.

Also, Bankcomm is also passing out vouchers of some sort for applying too. Re-read the source, turns out to be Maxim's cake roupons Bankcomm Plat Visa http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5674.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
I just submitted my application for the ShaComm Platinum Visa.

Received HK$50 Wellcome voucher upon submission and there's apparently a promotion going on whereby there's a bonus 3,000 AM being awarded for spending HK$3,000 in the first two months of card issuance. Should be able to fulfill that from meals alone
It's official - the 3,000AM for $3,000 deal is back to 30 Sep 11 http://www.shacombank.com.hk/bankscb...me_leaflet.pdf
Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:43 am

Best card to pay 200K

I may end up answering my own question...

Need to make a local watch purchase of 200K. The watch store will take virtually any card you can think of, retail slip payment.

Need to pay by end of next week I reckon.

Any ideas? Other than Bankcomm DIamond, can't think of anything better...
Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

Need to make a local watch purchase of 200K. The watch store will take virtually any card you can think of, retail slip payment.

could you pay at times square/new town center if they are one of the 15X merchants?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:26 am

Pardon me for not knowing the Bankcomm Diamond card - which bank issues it? And is it a lot better than DBS Black that gives HK6=1AsiaMile?

Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE

Chopping it up to use for the CX Amex or DBS Amex welcome offers (if you don't have them or haven't recently cut)? Watch out for the credit limit cap.

(Still waiting for my Bankcomm Unionpay...)
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by toplayer
Chopping it up to use for the CX Amex or DBS Amex welcome offers (if you don't have them or haven't recently cut)? Watch out for the credit limit cap.

i wouldnt think he's got welcome offers there
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Pardon me for not knowing the Bankcomm Diamond card - which bank issues it? And is it a lot better than DBS Black that gives HK6=1AsiaMile?

Thanks.
http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...0007d21c39RCRD

Spending criteria
Spend over HKD300 in Hong Kong or overseas (excluding Mainland China), or spend over RMB300 with merchants in the “restaurant” or “hotel” categories in Mainland China

What you earn
HKD/RMB 4 = 8 bonus points = 1AM

Originally Posted by kaka
could you pay at times square/new town center if they are one of the 15X merchants?
Was considered, no. It's a very unique item.

The merchant involved has a shop in Pacific Place...any promos there?

Originally Posted by toplayer

Can't. Payment next week. I'm not eligible for any more AM welcome offer until September.

Besides, spending is by the end of next week max, not the min three weeks needed to apply for those cards with AM welcome offers.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Hey Percysmith, I hope you don't mind but I took your post from page 10 and adapted to my current cards and was hoping if you can take a look at it to see if this is the best for me:

Credit Cards:

Visa:
Fubon Platinum
Shacom Platinum

AMEX:
Cathay Pacific Amex
DBS Amex

Union Pay:
BankComm CUP

I. Overseas

i. Fubon Plat - 1 mile per $3 spent ($150 flat redemption fee) (plus 167 Sure win miles if txn amt >$500)
ii. Shacom Plat/Titanium - 1 mile per $4 spent ($100 fee per 10,000 mile redeeemed)
iii. If AMEX: DBS or CX Amex is both the same at 1 mile per $4 spent (no fee).
*** DBS does not include Macau or China while CX does.***

II. Dining

i. Shacom Plat/Titanium - 1 mile per $4 spent ($100 fee per 10,000 mile redeemed)
ii. Dining bills over $300 can be placed on Bankcomm CUP once I reach the 10,000 mile threshold and do not want to pay another $100 for redemption.

III. Other retail spending
i. (if Unionpay) (to 31 Dec 11) Bankcomm Diamond Dual Currency Unionpay Card - 1 mile per HKD4 spent for retail spending in all categories >= $300 ($100 flat redemption fee)
*** ii. (if Amex) DBS Black - 1 mile per $6 spent (no fee)
iii. Shacom Plat/Titanium - 1 mile per $8 spent ($100 fee per 10,000 mile redeeemed)

IV. Bill payments

i. (to 31 Dec 11) Bankcomm Diamond Dual Currency Unionpay Card - 1 mile per HKD4 spent for bill payment in all categories except tax, financial services and HKJC >= $300 ($100 flat redemption fee)
ii. Fubon Plat - 1 mile per $6 spent paying >=$300 bills on Saturdays and Sundays ($150 redemption fee)
iii. Shacom Plat/Titanium - 1 mile per $8 spent ($100 fee per 10,000 mile redeeemed)
*** v. BoC Platinum Visa/Dual Currency Unionpay - 1 mile per $15 spent (no fee)

V. Octopus AAVS

i. (if $500 recharge preferred) Shacom Plat/Titanium - 1 mile per $8 spent ($100 fee per 10,000 mile redeeemed)

VIII. China Unionpay RMB spending

i. (to 31 Dec 11) Bankcomm Diamond Dual Currency Card - 1 mile per RMB4 spent for restaurants or hotels spending >= RMB300 , 1 per RMB8 spent other categories ($100 flat redemption fee)

So basically for me, it is best to use the:

Shacomm card: as least as possible except for AAVS and local dining as it will have a non flat fee meaning the more points, the more I need to pay to transfer to Asia miles.

Fubon: use as much as possible for overseas (do you know if Macau is considered overseas?)

DBS Amex: Use for local if purchases are under $300 or anywhere if CUP is not accepted. Do not use for local dining. Because DBS and CX both offer the same overseas rate, if the rare occasion Visa is not accepted at a store and amex is, use CX or DBS as both the same except I believe DBS does not consider Macau or Mainland to be overseas so do not use in those two locations.

CX Amex: Use for overseas including Mainland to avoid the DCC. To keep things simple, just use the CX Amex for overseas whether Macau, Mainland, or anywhere else in the world that does not accept Visa (making sure of course NOT to use Visa in Mainland no matter what).

Bankcomm CUP: Use for ALL local purchases and bills above $300 that accepts Union Pay. Even with dining, if the bill is above $300 better to put on this card over the Shacomm as it is a flat rate.

--------------
From my understanding, the deal with CUP ends Dec 31 2011. So after that, everything will change again. Do you know if we must redeem before Dec 31 2011 as well?

Also, could you please explain a bit about the Bankcomm CUP bonus point scheme. It is a bit confusing about the tiers. I just received this card today and don't really understand about this "potential" stuff.

Take note, I have not received my Fubon Plat card yet, my application is still in progress but I don't see why I will be rejected.

Lastly, I am still within the 3 month welcome offer with CX AMEX which gives me 1AM/$4 and 1AM/$2 overseas until Aug 31st. So I have been using this and only this and will do so until the end of this month.

Thank you PS or anyone else who is willing to comment.

Cheers!

Last edited by BryanL; Aug 9, 2011 at 6:00 am
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:48 am

Fubon: Macau is overseas http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...sed-hk-29.html

Can use Fubon for Visa txn on weekends that's not dining and AE not accepted (you know, annoying doctor's clinics, golf shops etc that take nothing but Visa).

DBS still has preference over Fubon where accepted though cos their points don't expire annually like Fubon, and can potentially be credited to other family members.

DBS counts mainland as overseas. I think Amex CX Elite does too.

Recent Bankcomm promotions are horrible to understand. Essentially just remember 5X on transactions on transactions over $500 (up to $1,500). Ends this Sunday tho.

No comments on the rest of your list. The only risk with your strategies is - if you suspect the place has DCC, do you use Fubon Plat or DBS Amex/CX Elite? It's a transaction-by-transaction judgement, depending on the company you have (any loud, "闊佬" died-in-the-blue-never-lived-overseas-or-will-ever-contemplate-to-do-so impatient Hongkie friends/colleagues/relatives) and whether you have time to reverse the transaction if DCC does rear its ugly head.

Big hint - settle things before having to leave whenever you can!

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 8, 2011 at 9:56 am
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:49 am

Is the Standard Chartered Amex not better for overseas as it gives 6x? Is it 12 or 15 pts to a mile?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Is the Standard Chartered Amex not better for overseas as it gives 6x? Is it 12 or 15 pts to a mile?
15 per mile / 6X = 2.5/mile.

But they don't issue new ones any more - call 2886 9338 and check.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
I am still using SCB Amex for overseas transactions. It's still the best card (despite the devaluation in the conversion ratio last year) if you do have it.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Oh, I forgot to mention that if local spending with no Unionpay or Amex is accepted, I will have to use Shacomm for Visa as their $8/AM is better than Fubon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.