Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:29 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
so the 3% they take on all transactions is 'charging nothing at all' ?
With respect, I think you're getting very confused:

1. The 3% is interchange? If yes, that's what they collect from merchants for accepting HSBC cards. HSBC does not collect the full 3% - some go to the card association (Visa) and the acquirer (merchant's bank) - Wikipedia suggests 0.18% and 0.07% http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interchange_fee.

2. For our continued use of HSBC cards which allows HSBC to earn the 3% interchange, HSBC awards us 1 RewardCash per $250 spent. RewardCash are bonus points like DB$ or Citi Reward points or Amex MR points.

3. For the privilege of being able to convert our RewardCash into miles, HSBC charges us $300 per year. This entitles us to unlimited redemptions of miles at 1 RewardCash = 15 miles during the year, subject to minimum transfer in (4).

4. Each redemption must be made in a minimum 40 RewardCash or 600 miles. No incremental monetary fee charged for redemptions.

So my original suggestion - if they're not collecting the annual fee or RewardCash, then they're charging nothing at all - holds.

If they don't charge RewardCash, then you need not even spend on the card - it'll be like this bottomless pit of miles that you can redeem at no cost.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:36 pm

so for every transfer to Asiamiles the cost is minimum 40 RewardCash x HK$ 250 spening (=$10k spending on the card)
That is correct.

But there are no per conversion monetary fees on top of the 40 RewardCash.

You pay an fee that covers all conversion for the year.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
I have no idea whether the 76k is for me or for everyone as I do not see other people's mail.
Given the way it is printed, I think it is an individual target.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:38 pm

Citibank Visa Platinum
just received latest offer
spend HKD 76k between 20/7/11 to 19/8/11 and earn up to 10,000 extra miles
1 Asiamile for every HK$ 4 local spending and HK$ 2 overseas spending !

Citibank is good with free auto crediting to Asiamiles account whereas HSBC etc charge yearly for this service Rewards -to - Asiamiles and also charge each time you transfer miles across.
kazakaza @hongkongcard.com also got similar offer to you http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5595

His target is $12,000, but he only gets the 2X miles on spending above his target.

Can you confirm your offer rewards spending within your $76,000 target?

Edit 11:42AM - I asked Citibank CS - they said they only count spending above your target. Can you confirm that is the case?

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 22, 2011 at 9:43 pm
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:42 pm

AE $100 rebate for $100 x 5 transactions

http://ebm.email.americanexpress.com/c/tag/hBOKhG$AQB6DpB8cdUKDlsOS63o/doc.html
http://www.amexnetwork.com.hk/fastpay

DBS Black Card, SCB AE also eligible

But - "(6) Each Cardmember can only register one Card for this offer. Only transactions made on the Card registered for this offer are eligible. Transactions made on another Card or on a supplementary Card with different Card number are not eligible. "

Clarified with the CS at Plat Charge - one name, one registration regardless of # of cards held.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by percysmith
kazakaza @hongkongcard.com also got similar offer to you http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5595
His target is $12,000, but he only gets the 2X miles on spending above his target.
Can you confirm your offer rewards spending within your $76,000 target?
Edit 11:42AM - I asked Citibank CS - they said they only count spending above your target. Can you confirm that is the case?
No idea
I have no intention of going haywire just to please them
Is sent a copy of the offer to dietevil

the annoying fact is I just paid HK 82k to them 2 days before I got the damn offer since I am travelling today to Africa for 3 + weeks and wanted to ensure bills were paid
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:40 am

No idea
I have no intention of going haywire just to please them
Is sent a copy of the offer to dietevil

the annoying fact is I just paid HK 82k to them 2 days before I got the damn offer since I am travelling today to Africa for 3 + weeks and wanted to ensure bills were paid
It's ok parents got a similar letter.
Theirs is two period (20/7-19/8, 20/8-9/10), $20,000 target, 2X miles on *incremental* spending.

$20,000 corresponds to their average monthly spending for last two months.

I'm recommending they not divert spending from Amex either. I'm realising only $0.10 per Asia Mile, $0.176 per Virgin Mile so I want them to earn more of the latter http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ying-club.html. Only if they spend way above $20,000 on Visa spending would it be worth it.

Edit 23 Jul 3PM: Autopay transactions *do not* count. As far as my parents are concerned, fuggetaboutit then. Thousands of their spending comes from golf club billing via autopay.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 23, 2011 at 1:02 am
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
HSBC: 15X RewardCash ($1.11/mile) (thanks Kaka) @ Times Square and New Town Plaza to 31 August. First $10,000 spending/month only and registration required https://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom218

Amex: 5X Membershp Reward points ($3/mile) @ WTC more to 31 July. No conditions http://f.email.americanexpress.com/i...011_Offers.pdf

I don't have much to buy at malls this month~ I might get a suit at Zara and thats it
i just remembered: 40X at Mannings and 20X at Caltax would bring this to insane level of earnings (Mannings cap at $3000/mth, I think same applies to Caltax. Caltax you're allowed all the HSBC discounts as well)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by kaka
i just remembered: 40X at Mannings and 20X at Caltax would bring this to insane level of earnings (Mannings cap at $3000/mth, I think same applies to Caltax. Caltax you're allowed all the HSBC discounts as well)
Never really paid attention to this - how does one work out the value of the rebate. If it is 40x at mannings and let's say I spend HKD 3K, how much is the savings? Thanks and sorry for ignorance.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Never really paid attention to this - how does one work out the value of the rebate. If it is 40x at mannings and let's say I spend HKD 3K, how much is the savings? Thanks and sorry for ignorance.
$3,000 at a 40X merchant = 3,000 / 250 x 40 RewardCash$ = 480 RewardCash$ = 480 x 15 miles = 7,200 miles or $0.4167 spending per mile.

Note that $300 conversion fee applies (buys you conversion ability for a year, but you must pay at least once).
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
There's a promotion for DBS cards at Festival Walk whereby you are entitled to free lucky draw for every purchase of HK$1,000 in maximum 2 bills. Note that if you already have 1 bill with transaction amount of more than HK$1,000; you are still entitled to only 1 chance. In addition, the promotion is only valid for weekends (Friday-Sunday).

I was entitled to 2 chances:
1. Won 10,000 Asia Miles on two bills worth just slightly over HK$1k.
2. Won a 5% rebate on a bill that was close to HK$6k. Note that for the cash rebate, a cap of HK$3k applies to the transaction amount (correct me if I am wrong here). So, in my case, I am expecting close to HK$150 cash rebate.

There's also some other cash vouchers to be won and also the cash rebate can be as much as 100%.

I think I will still go to Festival Walk for shopping for the remaining of summer
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
There's a promotion for DBS cards at Festival Walk whereby you are entitled to free lucky draw for every purchase of HK$1,000 in maximum 2 bills. Note that if you already have 1 bill with transaction amount of more than HK$1,000; you are still entitled to only 1 chance. In addition, the promotion is only valid for weekends (Friday-Sunday).

I was entitled to 2 chances:
1. Won 10,000 Asia Miles on two bills worth just slightly over HK$1k.
2. Won a 5% rebate on a bill that was close to HK$6k. Note that for the cash rebate, a cap of HK$3k applies to the transaction amount (correct me if I am wrong here). So, in my case, I am expecting close to HK$150 cash rebate.

There's also some other cash vouchers to be won and also the cash rebate can be as much as 100%.

I think I will still go to Festival Walk for shopping for the remaining of summer
Congrats. 10K miles is the second prize. 5% cash back isn't bad either.

I was looking at this, wondering if I get 5% all the time from Festival Walk:

http://hk.dbs.com/zh/consumer/credit...monthlyPromo14

The bit I object to is "或保證至少5%現金回贈" - that is not the lowest prize. The stupid Shopping Baby is. If I win the Shopping Baby I won't even take it home cos it'll increase my building's waste levy.

Other gifts are of dubious value - I highly doubt the Lancome and Kiehl travel sets are worth what DBS say they're worth. Cle de Peau and Guerlain go straight to girlfriend. Rockport $100 will be very hard to use so I'll discount that too.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Why doesn't DBS offer more information on their English website as oppose to just their Chinese website. Why would they exclude those who can only read English?

I can't find any info about the Festival Walk promotion on their English site
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by Dasanii
Why doesn't DBS offer more information on their English website as oppose to just their Chinese website. Why would they exclude those who can only read English?

I'm pretty sure an English version will come out in a few days, but this shouldn't surprise anyone who lives in a Chinese city where the majority of people are Chinese who can read and speak Chinese.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dasanii

It's the bank involved. DBS HK is increasingly English-challenged.

Click in "Compass Visa lucky draw" from here http://www.compassvisa.com.hk/Default.aspx?lang=en-US. Chinese again.

Even the PRC-owned and run Bankcomm HK branch is more English-literate than DBS
http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...df_9868_tc.jpg
http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...df_9832_en.pdf

It's quite surprising given it is a regional bank with a Singaporean parent. You'd think they'd use English as their working written language, not Chinese. But then again DBS HK is really the former Kwong On, Dao Heng and OTB local banks.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 31, 2011 at 9:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.