Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jg86
About taxis not accepting cards.

If a taxi states on its window that it accepts cards, and the driver refuses to accept the card, what happens if you refuse to pay?

Surely if you did that they'd miraculously accept your card.
I can't do that on my long-distance OT taxi runs cos I need them to print me a receipt for work claim, something they'd surely not do if I piss them off by insisting on card when they don't want to. I can't exactly force a receipt out of the printer.

In other cases, it'll be as pleasant as haggling over change. It's okay to prove a point, it's just you got to patiently wait out the driver until a police officer comes over. Not possible if you're with somebody or rushing to go somewhere.

P.S. it's a good fight to have with drivers with a bad attitude tho.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 18, 2011 at 10:41 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I can't do that on my long-distance OT taxi runs cos I need them to print me a receipt for work claim, something they'd surely not do if I piss them off by insisting on card when they don't want to. I can't exactly force a receipt out of the printer.

In other cases, it'll be as pleasant as haggling over change. It's okay to prove a point, it's just you got to patiently wait out the driver until a police officer comes over.

P.S. it's a good fight to have with drivers with a bad attitude tho.
Hmmm true. but in the event you actually had no cash on you, and you waited for a taxi with a visa sign in the window, it's not as though you're being rude.

I realise it's unusual to have no cash on you, but it's not illegal!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:57 am

Hmmm true. but in the event you actually had no cash on you, and you waited for a taxi with a visa sign in the window, it's not as though you're being rude.

I realise it's unusual to have no cash on you, but it's not illegal!
It'll be like taking a cab with only a $500 note. Taxis are only required to have $100 worth of change, and frequently have no more than that. If you're trying to take a ride with only a $500 note, you're meant to ask whether that's OK first. Unless it's a cross harbour tunnel ride, where the cabbie pays the tunnel toll with it to force the CHT to break the note for you.

Unlike many card merchants, cabbies are really sole proprietors who do pay for merchant fees out of pocket. Same as red minibus drivers. And they don't get to differentiate their services by accepting cards - cab rank rule.

As a compromise, I would think it's fair if they'd all have the equipment and let us use it all the time, so long as we pay 1% more to cover interchange fee. At least they have to pay tax on the proceeds, so they fulfil their fair share too. Though Octopus will never allow it officially cos then all the licenced public transport will ask for it also - maybe we can offer it to the drivers as tips.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:00 pm

Victory is mine :D:D:D

I was actually still in the office when I wrote the posts to jg86 just now. it was getting kinda late and I can't think straight so it was time to call it a day.

I decided to try the Autotaxi app again - Visa payment specifically requested this time. One call - no response. Again - nada.

I was walking out the door and about to catch a normal taxi when my phone rang and a screechy old cabbie asked where I was. I managed to get on his Fly Visa cab less than a minute later.

I haven't had such a fun cab ride home ever. The cabbie was a cracker. He's aware I'm gonna earn 20% of the ride back from my bank http://www.dahsing.com/en/html/credi...ards/taxi.html for this "what a great deal you get from your bank...."

We talked about the news on the Octopus today. I trotted out my Octopus if flagfall goes above $20 argument. He said "yeah...what a crock. Octopus will collect 1% before releasing the takings the next day".

"Not as bad as the 2% I presume I'm gonna cost you for this" feeling a little sheepish and wondering if I need to tip him
"Visa doesn't actually take anything. We get 100% takings for this."
"REALLY??!!"
"Yeah...there was another Fly Taxi Cabbie who got 8...8.25% takings debited by Fly Visa. When he found out he called up the office and asked why. They said [something about him being treated as a merchant rather than a taxi] and reimbursed the full amount back to him"

No interchange?! Now why won't all cabbies do this?
My cabbie didn't understand either. He agrees $18 is a bit too much of a nuisance for Visa but didn't understand why my cabbie wouldn't take Visa last night.

We were home. I wish I had more time with him. He took a long while keying in the meter amount into his terminal but once it's in, it took about 10 seconds to spit out a thermal receipt.

I'm gonna do this again tomorrow night!

But I'm really wondering if this trip was no interchange, or whether interchange is collected at some other level (e.g. Autotaxi subscription fees)

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
You can buy a can of coke. You're not going to lose a lot of points doing that.
505 points or 33AM per can of coke is a lot of miles.
i might actually do this to top up my SCB account so i'm gonna get rid of it next month
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

To be honest, i think if octopus / visa can add advertisement into the mix and use the ad fee to cover the clearing fee it will be a win-win situtation.

And I think the clearing fee of visa to transportation company are around 1% instead of the normal 2%
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by kaka
i might actually do this to top up my SCB account so i'm gonna get rid of it next month
sorry kaka not sure if i made this clear but this is only true if youve spent $4000HKD that month.

Hope you haven't blown your credit limit on a can of coke yet!

An interesting thing i noticed is if you buy some watsons shampoo/ shower gel for $34 you get 500 moneyback points... 125 asia miles if i remember correctly!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

To be honest, i think if octopus / visa can add advertisement into the mix and use the ad fee to cover the clearing fee it will be a win-win situtation.

And I think the clearing fee of visa to transportation company are around 1% instead of the normal 2%
By and large, excepting friendly cabbies like that one last night, cabbies are dyed-in-the-blood thieving cheapskate tax cheats.

I have a love-'em-and-hate-'em relationship with them.
On one hand they do get you from point A to point B effectively a lot of the time.
On the other hand they are a roving exhibition of all things crap about Hongkies - whinge about 80% taxis when it suits them, cheat when they can (prop up "out of service" signs at 8:30AM so they can service "caller adds $50" calls), bully like US banks (making police stop discounted taxis from HKIA). If I had a choice, I'd be taking KMB and MTR most of the time.

After last night's experience, I'll do Autotaxi every night, but with the Visa option only. Hopefully that'll make the taxi cos realise there's an advantage to having their drivers "live on the grid" to attract company overtime traffic like ours. And the Octopus-enabled co too.

Otherwise they're just another black market taxi co.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:46 am

You have to do 20 transactions a month to max out the offer right? According to the worked example http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/...tinum-card/en/ spending on 1/5 2/5 and 3/5 only earns you 500 extra bonus points not 1,000 bouns points?

So it's 10 pairs of transactions.

For each pair of transactions I get 500 points. That's 33 miles or roughly $3.30 dollars (using my $0.102/mile nominal value)

Last time for the Fastpay promotion I was earning $15 for every Wellcome visit...

I just find this promotion gimmicky and not worth my time. YMMV
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:47 am

I wouldn't be surprised if taxi drivers are quite keen to get the visa customers when they realise that on average they will most likely be spending more.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:52 am

You have to do 20 transactions a month to max out the offer right? According to the worked example http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/...tinum-card/en/ spending on 1/5 2/5 and 3/5 only earns you 500 extra bonus points not 1,000 bouns points?

So it's 10 pairs of transactions.

For each pair of transactions I get 500 points. That's 33 miles or roughly $3.30 dollars (using my $0.102/mile nominal value)

Last time for the Fastpay promotion I was earning $15 for every Wellcome visit...

I just find this promotion gimmicky and not worth my time. YMMV
But there are so many things you want to buy everyday, it's not hard to make an extra transaction.

put it this way if you were making a transaction for $6 today and $6 tomorrow, - which card will get you more than 33 asiamiles? (And you get to keep whatever you bought for $6 obviously, so buy something you want)

and btw in my case i use airmiles to upgrade hkg-lon flights (return trips) which is worth a lot more than $7,000. So to me an asiamile is worth more than $0.102 but obviously it's different for everyone.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:59 am

and btw in my case i use airmiles to upgrade hkg-lon flights which is worth a lot more than $7,000. So to me an asiamile is worth more than $0.102 but obviously it's different for everyone.
You might need to reconsider your valuation, unless you're a GO or DM:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-status-2.html

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Here I am thinking I'm doing something special by actually getting my butt in those seats for 120K+ miles, and then finding out CX is throwing away DMs and GOs to people with simple AMEX cards...

Yes MPC SLs/GRs, you can kiss your op-up chances, award tix, mileage upgrades, etc. goodbye as your miles will be pretty meaningless when all you hear on the other line is: "sorry, none available till 3 years later..."
(upgrades definitely linked to status: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ability.html#8)

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 19, 2011 at 3:19 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:03 am

put it this way if you were making a transaction for $6 today and $6 tomorrow, - which card will get you more than 33 asiamiles? (And you get to keep whatever you bought for $6 obviously, so buy something you want)
I don't usually use a full-on EMV Visa card for a $6 transaction two days in a row.

To do transactions which I might do everyday, it'll be food. My average dinner on my own's about $120.

At $120 x 2:
Shacom Plat: 60 miles
SCB Plat: 49.33 miles
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
You might need to reconsider your valuation, unless you're a GO or DM:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-status-2.html

(upgrades definitely linked to status: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ability.html#8)
i dont find award tix availability that bad. if course you wont get anything during holiday times tho. but those same times sometimes you dont get anything below K fare too, if not higher.

The only gripe is DPS, Y hardly opens up.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:56 am

i dont find award tix availability that bad. if course you wont get anything during holiday times tho. but those same times sometimes you dont get anything below K fare too, if not higher.

The only gripe is DPS, Y hardly opens up.
Depends on class. In late April, I found DPS availability for 4 seats on 27-31 Dec in J .

But J to Aus isn't released until a calendar month before departure date..."flexible" travel schedule required (my parents' is not).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.