Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:25 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Originally Posted by percysmith
My Diamond Bankcomm was approved on 20 June, paid almost $3,000 bills using Bankcomm internet banking on receipt, received 6,000 miles today. Thank you Bankcomm!
Hmm....how long does it take for the card to be approved? So, you get the miles on the next statement issue date? That's nice.

It seems that the offer is changed to 5,000 miles for applications now and I need to spend HK$3,000 using this card. Hmm.....
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Hmm....how long does it take for the card to be approved? So, you get the miles on the next statement issue date? That's nice.

It seems that the offer is changed to 5,000 miles for applications now and I need to spend HK$3,000 using this card. Hmm.....
I sent in my application on 29 June. There was a request for further documents 14 July to which I responded immediately. Received a phone call about a week ago letting me know they are considering my application. Nothing since.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by toplayer
I sent in my application on 29 June. There was a request for further documents 14 July to which I responded immediately. Received a phone call about a week ago letting me know they are considering my application. Nothing since.
We sent ours in around 20 June and got a phone call 2 weeks ago just confirming information but not asking for additional documentation. Called yesterday and said we were approved on 29 July...we're leaving for the US trip on Friday and I really want to have it for the trip.

It appears that any place that takes Discover in the US also accepts CUP.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by dietevil
We sent ours in around 20 June and got a phone call 2 weeks ago just confirming information but not asking for additional documentation. Called yesterday and said we were approved on 29 July...we're leaving for the US trip on Friday and I really want to have it for the trip.

It appears that any place that takes Discover in the US also accepts CUP.
Nice...everyone's been taking 5 weeks...no exceptions until you http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5604

Nice to hear Discover merchants accept CUP.

Discover has this wallet card for its cardholders to tell CUP merchants to process Discover cards like CUP cards http://www.discovercard.com/customer...allet_Card.pdf
I wonder will CUP also produce a card for its cardholders to tell Discover merchants to process CUP cards like Discover cards in the US http://en.unionpay.com/news/newsroom/file_2652016.html

Good card to have in the US this month with the 6X, $8/mile promotion.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:00 am

They still have a Marco Polo members' offer - triple Asia Miles - works out better if you can spend and/or pay bills of $18,000 or more http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-60.html#887
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:36 am

They still have a Marco Polo members' offer - triple Asia Miles - works out better if you can spend and/or pay bills of $18,000 or more http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-60.html#887
Triple Asia Miles??? Hmm...I didn't read about that one in their website.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:12 am

What attracts me to the BankComm offers is obviously the bonus Asia Miles and the fact that I don't have any UnionPay card that I can use to earn reasonable bonus pts (using the BOC Double-Currency Card at the moment but the last time I used it was during my trip to Beijing in March this year). The BankComm one is certainly superior in every sense and I can have a chance to earn up to 10,000 AM (as per percysmith calculation).

Here's the cards I am using at the moment:
Overseas Transactions
1. SCB AE - also used for buying tickets from travel agents. I still have close to 900k pts banked in there and will be converting them very soon.

2. Citibank PM Visa - for merchants that do not acept AE. Strangely, I did not receive any special offers lately from them unlike some of you have mentioned here.

Local Transactions (non-travel agent)
1. DBS Black Card AE - I used to differentiate between dining and non-dining transactions (hence using the DBS Platinum Master for that), but since last year, due to the devaluation of DBS points, I rarely use it.

2. Citibank PM Visa - again, for merchants that do not accept AE.

3. HSBC Plat Master - for Octopus AAVS and lately when shopping in Mannings or Times Square because of their generous 15x and 40x rewards promotion.

So, typically, I only keep 2 CC (the DBS Black Card & Citibank PM Visa) in my wallet, with the HSBC Plat Master included during weekends when I go to shop in Mannings or Times Square

For bills, I typically do not pay using cards as my bills are generally very minimal.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:33 am

Triple Asia Miles??? Hmm...I didn't read about that one in their website.
Asia Miles website not Bankcomm http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...0007d21c39RCRD

But the Asia Miles page links to an application form on the Bankcomm site http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile..._AsiaMiles.pdf
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:38 am

What attracts me to the BankComm offers is obviously the bonus Asia Miles and the fact that I don't have any UnionPay card that I can use to earn reasonable bonus pts (using the BOC Double-Currency Card at the moment but the last time I used it was during my trip to Beijing in March this year). The BankComm one is certainly superior in every sense and I can have a chance to earn up to 10,000 AM (as per percysmith calculation).

Here's the cards I am using at the moment:
Overseas Transactions
1. SCB AE - also used for buying tickets from travel agents. I still have close to 900k pts banked in there and will be converting them very soon.

2. Citibank PM Visa - for merchants that do not acept AE. Strangely, I did not receive any special offers lately from them unlike some of you have mentioned here.

Local Transactions (non-travel agent)
1. DBS Black Card AE - I used to differentiate between dining and non-dining transactions (hence using the DBS Platinum Master for that), but since last year, due to the devaluation of DBS points, I rarely use it.

2. Citibank PM Visa - again, for merchants that do not accept AE.

3. HSBC Plat Master - for Octopus AAVS and lately when shopping in Mannings or Times Square because of their generous 15x and 40x rewards promotion.

So, typically, I only keep 2 CC (the DBS Black Card & Citibank PM Visa) in my wallet, with the HSBC Plat Master included during weekends when I go to shop in Mannings or Times Square

For bills, I typically do not pay using cards as my bills are generally very minimal.
Suggestions:

1. Get the Shacom Plat/Titanium for $4/mile dining.

2. Link the AAVS to Shacom Plat/Titanium for $8/mile earning.

3. If you can pay >$300 to any merchant then pay with Bankcomm Diamond for $4/mile before 31 Dec 11. Remember you can always prepay your merchants.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:46 am

Suggestions:

1. Get the Shacom Plat/Titanium for $4/mile dining.

2. Link the AAVS to Shacom Plat/Titanium for $8/mile earning.

3. If you can pay >$300 to any merchant then pay with Bankcomm Diamond for $4/mile before 31 Dec 11. Remember you can always prepay your merchants.
Thanks for your suggestions. I know of these offers as you posted about them I guess I am just too lazy to apply too many cards.

I think I will apply for the BankComm Diamond and use it till end of this year...not sure though whether I can get it in time before I leave for my holiday to Bali in early September.

BTW, what do you mean by "prepaying your merchants" ??
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:59 am

I think I will apply for the BankComm Diamond and use it till end of this year...not sure though whether I can get it in time before I leave for my holiday to Bali in early September.

BTW, what do you mean by "prepaying your merchants" ??
Bali not a particularly Chinese-touristy place...good luck using your Unionpay card there.

Prepay - pay your merchants before they even bill you. You're gonna use power from HKE/CLP and gas from Towngas and are not moving soon aren't you? And they're safer than banks. Rates to Rates and Valuations Dept - even better, my new favourite Govt dept. Gonna pay them a year's rates in advance - my money's doing shxtall in a HKD savings account anyway.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 3, 2011 at 8:27 am Reason: Bali takes cards, but CUP may be a hard ask
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:04 am

Having looked at the ShaComm website, the Platinum/Titanium certainly looks attractive for the dining/dept store/supermarkets and AAVS options.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:06 am

Bali not a particularly Chinese-touristy place...good luck using your cards there.

Prepay - pay your merchants before they even bill you. You're gonna use power from HKE/CLP and gas from Towngas and are not moving soon aren't you? And they're safer than banks. Rates to Rates and Valuations Dept - even better, my new favourite Govt dept. Gonna pay them a year's rates in advance - my money's doing shxtall in a HKD savings account anyway.
Wow....that's really something that I haven't heard of before ^ Thanks for these tips.

I typically pay these utilities when they issue the bills and I even use auto-pay on CLP. Need to cancel it
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:32 am

Having looked at the ShaComm website, the Platinum/Titanium certainly looks attractive for the dining/dept store/supermarkets and AAVS options.
Note - only one of {dining | dept store | supermarkets }. Not all three.

AAVS - actually your Citibank Premiermiles also earns $8/mile on AAVS, but I don't like Citibank's long-standing rule that an Octopus can only be recharged for $250 a day - Shacom allows $500.

$500 useful when you are paying for the 11 colleagues' work meals by Octopus or decide to pick up a dozen Haagen-Dazs bars at 7-eleven (I do if I need to earn a lot of promotion tokens quickly).
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:37 am

I typically pay these utilities when they issue the bills and I even use auto-pay on CLP. Need to cancel it
Please don't tell me you let CLP autodebit your ***bank*** account...all the miles forgone...

Even autodebit on Amex card is bad, they don't have MR points anymore http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=4905

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.