Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to offer Amex Plat Cardholders from some countries MPC Gold status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to offer Amex Plat Cardholders from some countries MPC Gold status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by hadsst
Note another offer from Amex is to give out FREE gold membership (without purchase) for Kingfisher's King Club to cardholders in India, which may actually be more attractive than the CX Gold offer.

(Note: This tier needs 60K of their status miles, which should be equivalent to OW emerald when it formally joins OW I suppose.)
But as Kingfisher isn't in OW yet, having this card level isn't going to be much use if one wants OW benefits...

King Gold btw should Kingfisher join OW is NOT Emerald... ! There is another tier up from that and its King Platinum.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:21 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kchika
Couldn't have said it better, really.
But how many long standing MPC Gold will actually switch to other FFPs is a different story. I suspect quite a bit of them will just suck it up and stick with MPC
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:46 pm

just got it in the post as well, here in singapore. i have not travelled on CX for a year maybe having dropped to Green.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:40 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by epigram
just got it in the post as well, here in singapore. i have not travelled on CX for a year maybe having dropped to Green.
So far all the reports are coming from Singapore...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
With this influx of Amex DMs and GOs, I think the possibility of getting upgrade as a SL or a GR is marginalised to a statistically insignificant level.

SLs and GRs - say goodbye to redeemed upgrades.

Also time to reconsider and devalue your Asia Miles - if you're a SL or GR using a nominal value that assumes you get upgrades, ditch that valuation and recalculate one assuming whY only http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ying-club.html

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 16, 2011 at 3:40 am
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I made enquiries with a contact working in a very senior position at Amex (not in HK or Singapore).

He/she was very tight lipped about it. He/she confirmed that in Singapore they are offering MPC Gold to Platinum Charge (not credit) card holders. Wouldn't say if it was a targeted promotion or if all card holders got it, or if there was any qualification needed (like flying a certain number of flights). He/she just said he didn't know the exact details (yeah right!).

Although I firmly believe that MPC should remain a "butt on seat" program, I'd definitely upgrade to the Platinum Charge card if they give out MPC Gold in HK!

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Jul 16, 2011 at 2:47 am Reason: Grammatical error
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist

Although I firmly believe that MPC should remain a "butt on seat" program, I'd definitely upgrade to the Platinum Charge card if they give out MPC Gold in HK!
Here I am thinking I'm doing something special by actually getting my butt in those seats for 120K+ miles, and then finding out CX is throwing away DMs and GOs to people with simple AMEX cards...

Yes MPC SLs/GRs, you can kiss your op-up chances, award tix, mileage upgrades, etc. goodbye as your miles will be pretty meaningless when all you hear on the other line is: "sorry, none available till 3 years later..."

I bet the CX grounds crew is having a blast with 25% of checked luggage being "First Priority" and 65% being "Business Priority", Biz-Priority won't be that prioritized anymore. Same with the check-in boarding, might as well head straight to Economy counters as less people will be there, LOL

Imagine CX forces FAs to say hi to all DMs and GOs....
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:46 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
GOs (incl Amex GOs) will be the new SLs
DMs (incl Amex DMs) will be the new GOs
DM Plus and Invitational will be the new DMs

All we need is an official notification of downgrades of mapping to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to formalise this "downgrade" and start off a diaspora like the 80s brain drain.

Same with the check-in boarding, might as well head straight to Economy counters as less people will be there, LOL
CX == Bank of Cheapasses, where the non-priority queue is usually quicker than the priority queue. Way to go...

Yes MPC SLs/GRs, you can kiss your op-up chances, award tix, mileage upgrades, etc. goodbye as your miles will be pretty meaningless when all you hear on the other line is: "sorry, none available till 3 years later..."
I hope whY award tix will still be available...I hope Plat Charges don't fight with us post-80s for whY (Gen "Y" haha) redemptions on unpopular flights...

Proves again when you're in the bottom of the food chain you've nothing to lose.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: CX DM (Member since 1993)
I bet the CX grounds crew is having a blast with 25% of checked luggage being "First Priority" and 65% being "Business Priority", Biz-Priority won't be that prioritized anymore. Same with the check-in boarding, might as well head straight to Economy counters as less people will be there, LOL
Based on the above, I have the following suggestions:

1. Check-In Counters: Redistribute so, for instance, at Hong Kong Station where there are 7 Check-In Counters, they change it to 2 First Class Counters, 4 Business Class Counters and 1 Economy Class Counter.

2. Baggage Tags: F/DM passengers get red "First Priority" tags, Y/GR/No Status passengers get green "No Priority" tags, all other passengers (there will be many of them) with no tags get business priority.

3. Baggage Allowances: Y tickets get 40 kg, J tickets get 50 kg, F tickets get 60 kg. Gr/No Status passengers receive a penalty of 20 kg, SL passengers receive a penalty of 10 kg, GO passengers receive a penalty of 5 kg.

4. Boarding: One line for F/DM/GO passengers, one line for J/SL/GR passengers. All other passengers (there won't be many left) board right at the end.

Still trying to figure what to do with lounges and greetings on board. Any suggestions?

Simple really.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: CX DM (Member since 1993)
Oh I know:

5. Lounges: Remove the sofas and take away the food and drinks and other amenities and make all Y/Gr/No Status passengers wait there. Offer food and drinks by the boarding gate to all other passengers.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheDell

Still trying to figure what to do with lounges and greetings on board. Any suggestions?
Not that difficult.

Lounges
DM: keep current lounge access arrangement.

GO: receive 5 lounge passes per year, to be used when flying Y. otherwise no entry when flying Y.

SL: no lounge access if they're flying in Y.

Greetings

Just greet the DM. Or employ an extra FA to do the greetings, because it'll take him/her a really long time to greet 70% of the plane.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Yep. In addition to this : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nd-status.html, CX has once again teamed up with Amex to offer their Platinum card holders from certain countries MPC Gold status.

A friend from Singapore just wrote to tell me of what CX had just offered him.

Edited to add: I don't know which countries. You would just have to wait for Amex to offer to you.
I thought CX does not have any more co-branded card in SQ?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
H

Well I have already a problem with my luggage on my TPE-HKG-SIN flight. It was tagged as ("Business") priority as I am a Silver member. But the bag only showed up after the non-priority bags
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz
Here I am thinking I'm doing something special by actually getting my butt in those seats for 120K+ miles, and then finding out CX is throwing away DMs and GOs to people with simple AMEX cards...

Unbelievable what they are doing......
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Grichka
Unbelievable what they are doing......
I have to say, I'm really disappointed at CX. DM/GO should be protected class that saved for a few true frequent fliers that are willing to do the time (on those seats) to earn such privileges. But CX throwing them away like there's no tomorrow.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.