Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by miklcct
Cathay Pacific is finally doing the right thing - attract price-sensitive economy travellers by vastly increasing the miles earned and make it worthwhile to redeem short-haul economy ticket for frequent travel. This is what a frequent-flyer programme should be. We fly cheap tickets frequently and redeem cheap flights frequently.
"Buy 10 get 1 free" for round trip HKG-NRT/ICN in SNQ (plus 2 lounge coupons for GR if within a year) which I think sounds not bad for the HKG-based Japan/Korea commuters. (In addition to CC points) However the traditional long-and-expensive frequent flyers aren't exactly on the same boat.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I just issued two tickets.

Call center wait time: 1 hr 15 min
Process time: 35 min (system went havoc once)

I chatted with the agent a bit and was told they have been very busy since he came to work this morning. I would expect lots of calls for bookings between now and June 22.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I have 2 existing return J award tickets for HKG-AKL. I would save 20k miles under this change. If I reissue, would they be released to waitlists rather than directly back to me?
Old May 24, 2018, 2:12 pm

What happens to the old zone F from the old Cathay chart?

The longest range in the new chart is "ultra-long 7,501+ miles", while in the old chart, there's one beyond that which is "zone F 10,001+". So what happens to one-way itinerary that would fall under the zone F, e.g. SYD - HKG - ORD? Would that now be 85k in J? If that's the case, that's a huge decrease in miles (under zone F that's 110k)!!
Old May 24, 2018, 2:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by mrliu88
The longest range in the new chart is "ultra-long 7,501+ miles", while in the old chart, there's one beyond that which is "zone F 10,001+". So what happens to one-way itinerary that would fall under the zone F, e.g. SYD - HKG - ORD? Would that now be 85k in J? If that's the case, that's a huge decrease in miles (under zone F that's 110k)!!
I called 3888 to verify, what you said is true, so maximizing the max band (i.e. AKL-HKG-JNB, JFK-HKG-AKL, ...) is still a viable sweet spot.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I called 3888 to verify, what you said is true, so maximizing the max band (i.e. AKL-HKG-JNB, JFK-HKG-AKL, ...) is still a viable sweet spot.
Only problem is time...but does sound interesting.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum
I’m having the same question. Gald that could be answered!
Old May 24, 2018, 6:48 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Stay tuned for “enhancements”
HaikalS likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by miklcct
Cathay Pacific is finally doing the right thing - attract price-sensitive economy travellers by vastly increasing the miles earned and make it worthwhile to redeem short-haul economy ticket for frequent travel. This is what a frequent-flyer programme should be. We fly cheap tickets frequently and redeem cheap flights frequently.

There was a CAPA article late last year about First Class (I suppose by extension Business Class) has a strong frequent flier proposition and that they are often seen as aspirational products hence part of being loyal fliers is the ability of redeeming Premium cabins. However it is quite disappointing to see that those hit most with these changes are those who want to redeem in long haul premium cabins.
HarbourGent and feh like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
There was a CAPA article late last year about First Class (I suppose by extension Business Class) has a strong frequent flier proposition and that they are often seen as aspirational products hence part of being loyal fliers is the ability of redeeming Premium cabins. However it is quite disappointing to see that those hit most with these changes are those who want to redeem in long haul premium cabins.
I think the mass market in Hong Kong finds an annual holiday in Japan aspirational. These are the non frequent travellers who scrounge around all the credit card deals and other Asia Miles offers. Since many had discovered the value of Avios the new earning and redeeming structure for short haul reflects this. And CX earns all the money selling these non-air miles to banks and vendors.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:52 pm

I suppose the 20% more redemption seats will mean less seats open to partner programs such as Avios, and reducing the cost of Japan will irk a lot of current Avios users who take advantage of that huge discount but cannot find seats, especially with 0 seats available 5 days out nowadays.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by sxc
Stay tuned for “enhancements”
Originally Posted by merry3

I’m having the same question. Gald that could be answered!
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Only problem is time...but does sound interesting.
Well, to take advantage of this you gotta need both long haul sectors confirmable at once, regardless of full redemption or upgrade. I strongly suspect one will face pushback if you try to clear them individually and ask for difference refund later, although I suspect there is nothing in the T&Cs that rules this out. In the past, I have tried and succeeded in pulling an upgrade for a family member JNB-HKG-US using the '10001+' band, clearing the segments individually and getting a refund in difference.

I haven't read the T&Cs entirely yet - but I suspect this 'difference refund' concept might be just gone forever? With the non-distinguishment between one way and round trips (ie all roundtrips are just two one ways pieced together) anyway beginning 22 June.

In order to pull two (or four, for a roundtrip) long haul seats at the same time, I don't think it's gonna be easy unless one can use their DM powers.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:29 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yes, difference refund will become obsolete under the new table.

It did cross my mind that YQ will be different for two o/w vs r/t but you don't get a refund from AM for that now anyway.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I can't quite understand the website. Has a RT in Y on AA non-stops from DFW to PHL increased from the current 30K?

Last edited by UA Fan; May 24, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Old May 24, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I'm can't quite understand the website. Has a RT in Y on AA non-stops from DFW to PHL increased from the current 30K?
It seems partner redemption may now have different rates than CX/KA redemptions, but the charts are not in yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.