Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
seems quite OK for my travel patterns

nornally book one-way J LH (and these seemed to have stayed the same or gone down for australia and europe respectively).

Y redemptions are much more sensible!
Old May 24, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Just catching up- not quite sure how bad just yet..

so so does my SIN-HKG-ORD r/t biz redemption jump from 145k to 2*85k (‘bad, but could live with’) or 2*(25k+85k) (‘bye bye Asiamiles’)
That was my first look into this also. I can not seem to get an additional leg on CX/KA metal within the same zone. I get redirected for the ticket (for the old redemption "price") to QR, which I don't want.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Partner redemption now differentiates yet not disclosed (although some has shown to be higher), so I still don't know how redemption with JL domestic like HKG-NRT-CTS is going to change.

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Just catching up- not quite sure how bad just yet..

so so does my SIN-HKG-ORD r/t biz redemption jump from 145k to 2*85k (‘bad, but could live with’) or 2*(25k+85k) (‘bye bye Asiamiles’)
Looks like 2*85k to me because transit/stopover is still allowed explicitly in T&C. Need the official calculator to confirm though.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:47 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by watery

Looks like 2*85k to me because transit/stopover is still allowed explicitly in T&C. Need the official calculator to confirm though.
Does this also contribute to this conclusion?

Inbound / Outbound Award Haul on the one-way distance between the origin airport and destination airport. If connecting sectors are involved, the sector distances should be added together to determine the total one-way distance and the applicable Award Haul. Award Hauls are applicable to all Flight Award types except the oneworld Mutli-Carrier Award.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
As someone who mainly redeems for oneway travel in premium cabins, the changes don't look too bad -- and even for the better in some cases. Will have to re-ticket a few awards post 22/6 as they'll be cheaper then.
Referring to my previous post -- will I be able to just call in post 22nd and re-price all my upcoming awards? Or would they have to release my seats and book them again in order to do so?
Old May 24, 2018, 1:53 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Referring to my previous post -- will I be able to just call in post 22nd and re-price all my upcoming awards? Or would they have to release my seats and book them again in order to do so?
You would be reissuing the tickets, and when you cancel an award, there's no guarantee that they go back into redemption buckets immediately. I think it's a risky strategy.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
The devaluation isn't as big as most feared, in fact there are some like KIX and SIN that are now "cheaper" to redeem in economy. However what concerns me more now that I need to pay 25K more miles for lets say MNL-HKG-JFK RT Business class which is now at 170K, while AS could get it for 100K miles....

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; May 24, 2018 at 4:22 am
Old May 24, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by lewisyu
Interested to know OWMC will be treated as Standard (T-353) or Choice (T-360) award. Just sent an email to AM on this.
Just got reply from AM that it’s unchanged for OWMC, so should still be T-360 for CX/KA flights.
G-CIVC and Isochronous like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:11 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
It doesn't look too bad given my travel pattern. I usually pay for long-haul J as I need certainty for comfort, and redeem Avios for short haul due to good burn rate. The cons for Avios is always the lack of last minute availability on CX (n/a if within 5 days of departure), so the new AM short haul redemption chart is closing the gap, and in certain situation, even better as CX tends to release seats few days prior departure.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:23 am

Reduction for Y redemption for Japan aim at increase attractiveness in Hong Kong as Hong Kongers love going Japan.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
I feel the increase in award inventory for Y is a response to the upcoming introduction of the 10 across 777 frames and the extra 10% capacity that will provide for that fleet. Along with this, another thought is that they have cut Y award rates most dramatically to short haul destinations in the region as another way to capture the LCC flying market for the HK hub captives who are mostly earning (nominal amounts of) Asia Miles anyway through their credit cards.

The changes are welcome for last minute Y short haul trips on CX where you don't have the option to use partner programs. But in all other scenarios I will continue to purchase / bank Avios for short haul J redemptions and fly ex-outports for longhaul PEY and J in the situations where I need to fly CX. Have moved most of my flying and status collection over to other carriers anyway after the MPO revamp a few years back, these changes won't bring me back.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: MP, BR
I think the changes affect my credit card usage habits rather than travel patterns. I might use my AE Blue card that offers 1% cash rebate rather than my AE CX card given the devaluation of AM and more HK ppl will try to earn and redeem AM (i.e. less redemption availability all else equal).

My travel choices probably remain the same - find a better alternative to CX's gouging on ex-HKG flights. Most of my travel is paid J out of my own pockets.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aus106080
Reduction for Y redemption for Japan aim at increase attractiveness in Hong Kong as Hong Kongers love going Japan.
and then not release standard awards
G-CIVC likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:17 am

Sweet spot of PE redemption is gone!
Old May 24, 2018, 3:55 am

One class upgrade

Dows anyone know if the one class upgrade still applies? I could not find such condition in the fine prints and when i searched for hkg-jfk econ upgrade to business i got a result.

i hope that means we can now buy M class and upgrade to business with miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.