Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 11:09 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier

I regularly redeem upgrades from Premium Economy W/R to Business and these changes are horrible. Almost double the number of required points whereas 60k used to be enough for my fiancee and me to get upgraded.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:12 pm

Long haul flights to JFK is slightly cheaper, that's a good news to me. Japanese and Korean cities are a lot cheaper! Personally I like Indian cities. It will be much cheaper and if you buy a ticket online, usually more than 4000 dollars. Indian cities is much more appealing now
Old May 23, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka
i think they would release choice to waitlist, esp status members. but standard (hence partners) well be held till later. non-OW partners like AS and CA will get less. AS already do get less
If they intend to release Choice to members, it's not much improvement. The point of loyalty is we get a good deal once in a while, in exchange for us over a long term period paying more to CX. But those choice awards are bordering on "stupid price".

Increased inventory of regular awards for MPCs would be a nice improvement especially for the premium class awards hope that happens...but not holding my breath.
kaka likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Not entirely happy about this new award chart as HKG - LAX is my primary longhaul route. So if I fly Business I get less miles and if I fly First I only get a little more. And of course more miles to redeem business and First on this route. Double whammy!
kaka, QRC3288 and G-CIVC like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:17 pm

Interested to know OWMC will be treated as Standard (T-353) or Choice (T-360) award. Just sent an email to AM on this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
'Tailored awards' is going to be dynamic pricing based on revenue fares. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'extra seat availability' goes 99% there and 1% left for the other two types.
kaka, QRC3288, feh and 1 others like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
'Tailored awards' is going to be dynamic pricing based on revenue fares. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'extra seat availability' goes 99% there and 1% left for the other two types.
Quite a cynical take, but hard to argue with your point.
feh likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
I am wondering why AM do not provide bonus miles based on the Macro polo status.
Don't they think that encouraging and attracting their FF flying on their airlines is very important and a must?
feh likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
If they intend to release Choice to members, it's not much improvement. The point of loyalty is we get a good deal once in a while, in exchange for us over a long term period paying more to CX. But those choice awards are bordering on "stupid price".

Increased inventory of regular awards for MPCs would be a nice improvement especially for the premium class awards hope that happens...but not holding my breath.
considering it's a 50-60% price hike and miles has discounted by 30-60% compared to 15 years ago; i would be content for loyalty with such pricing.
if one earns by flying, i can definately see why you are not happy with such disloyalty.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:32 pm
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
Taking HKG-BOM-HKG as an example (which I'm doing a fair amount at the moment) in economy:

The cheap seats in SNQ AM earn on roundtrip goes from 1326 to 2000
MLV however collapses from 5306 to 3600
And YBHK collapses from 5306 to 4000

Of course, I'm usually in K or M or thereabouts

So looks like another instance of CX trying to offer something for the cheap seats versus LCC's, whilst taking captive frequent economy passengers (paying more than SNQ etc) for granted - once again

They had to U-turn on Points for this group (my group). But now they want to take something away again
Old May 23, 2018, 11:36 pm

TPE <-> NRT round trip J from 50000 AM increased to 60000 AM, seems partner burn rate also huge affected too.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Still digesting the new T&C the round-trip stopover rule has a very explicit and extensive definition of turnover point:
Originally Posted by Flight Awards Redemption – General Conditions no.6
The turnaround point of a round-trip Flight Award (except the oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards) is determined by the following rules:
  1. In a 2-sector itinerary, the first sector destination port must be the stopover point and the turnaround point or the point of destination open jaw; or
  2. In a 3-sector itinerary, if there is a destination open jaw, the destination open jaw must be the turnaround point; or
  3. In a 3-sector itinerary, if there is a transfer but no destination open jaw involved, the only stopover point must be the turnaround point; or
  4. In a 3-sector itinerary, if there are 2 stopovers (no transfer and no destination open jaw involved), the furthest stopover point from the point of itinerary origin must be the turnaround point; or
  5. In a 4-sector itinerary, the second sector destination port must be the stopover point and turnaround point or the point of destination open jaw.
  6. A transfer point must not become a turnaround point of a round-trip itinerary.
  7. A turnaround point must also be the stopover point.
For the round-trip Flight Award, outbound and inbound flights must be booked at the same time.
So at least my previously redemption with "HKG as stopover" won't work exactly the same.
--
Update 1: Mixed cabin redemption changed from highest-only to prorate-by-mileage (Flight Awards – Standard, Choice & Tailored Awards no.5)
Update 2: "Back-tracking itinerary redemption is not allowed." (Flight Awards – Standard, Choice & Tailored Awards no.10)

Last edited by watery; May 23, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 11:44 pm
Suspended

have they just taken the avios table and change the numbers!?
Old May 23, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: CX, BA
It is not that bad TBH. OW chart only experiences a slight increase. HKG-Korean/Japanese Y return only 20000miles, even for HKG-CTS. An answer to BA or is it a compensation for changing to 3-4-3 on 777s?

For those choice/tailored/standard award thing, I guess a rational way of thinking is that CX wont make award seats available to partners if they only release the seats to the more expensive charts.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rickywk
TPE <-> NRT round trip J from 50000 AM increased to 60000 AM, seems partner burn rate also huge affected too.
this had always been a crapspot in the system (CX or BA alike)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.