Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I dont like saying it, but I have been banging on that this would happen ever since the original 'enhancement'. The spending side is the other side of the coin to the original change and every airline has done this one-two.

Sounds like more men overboard.

Off the catch my (AA) flight now
Old May 25, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Reading the new charts it looks like something like SYD-HKG-LHR or SYD-HKG-JFK in J would be 85K Asia Miles, rather than 110K Asia Miles as of now? Or am I mistaken?
Old May 25, 2018, 7:31 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Reading the new charts it looks like something like SYD-HKG-LHR or SYD-HKG-JFK in J would be 85K Asia Miles, rather than 110K Asia Miles as of now? Or am I mistaken?
You are correct.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by sxc
You are correct.
If that is the case, that is a true enhancement for me. Actually excellent for Aussies and Kiwis.

For AUS-HKG-USA, it is getting close to AS Levels. For A US-HKG-EUR it will be the best point redemption.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
If that is the case, that is a true enhancement for me. Actually excellent for Aussies and Kiwis.

For AUS-HKG-USA, it is getting close to AS Levels. For A US-HKG-EUR it will be the best point redemption.
it is not clear if it will be allowed, especially us-hkg-eur

CX does not have a published routing for us to eur via HKG, i believe.

however, cpt - hkg - usa should be allowed.

i dont think this is intended. they kind of miss it.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I think in general, it seems like they allow everyone to earn a little bit more, but it costs more to redeem.. so for most people, the effect might not be too bad if you earn your miles by flying.. it seems to me the biggest losers here are the ones who get their miles from credit cards and other merchant offers.. effectively they are getting less for their spend now...
Old May 25, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
well POOF went flights i was looking at in May to HKG and out of CX. glad i at least have some alternate dates in march but not idea but it was remarkable to see so many days with 5J basically vaporize in the last 24 hours.

IT SEEMS AWFULLY suspicious that the day after they announce this, all flights on about 15 to 20 days I was looking at that had 5J seem to only have 2J now. I wonder if CX backed out inventory and then will put it back after they greese you with the change.

Last edited by runningonfumes; May 25, 2018 at 12:59 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
it is not clear if it will be allowed, especially us-hkg-eur.
I meant AUS-HKG-EUR ...
Old May 25, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I requested a companion redemption last week but it is still on waitlist, considering it will still be for my flights in November, if it clears after June 22, do I now need to pay 67,000 instead of 50,000?
Old May 25, 2018, 9:00 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I requested a companion redemption last week but it is still on waitlist, considering it will still be for my flights in November, if it clears after June 22, do I now need to pay 67,000 instead of 50,000?
As I understand it anything issued on or after 22 June will use the new rules regardless of when it went on waitlist. This is one of the FAQs on the change site.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
What flight? If you ask they can probably open up seat for DM, no need to wait until Jun 22.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by pbd456
it is not clear if it will be allowed, especially us-hkg-eur

CX does not have a published routing for us to eur via HKG, i believe.

however, cpt - hkg - usa should be allowed.

i dont think this is intended. they kind of miss it.
I meant AUS-HKG-EUR ...
Didn't peruse again, but the new T&Cs specify that they can shut you down when 'they think' whatever your itinerary proposed is backtracking.

Technically, under the new chart, FRA-HKG-CDG, JFK-HKG-LHR, ...(anything longhaul-longhaul connecting in HKG, across different countries) can be ticketed as one one-way redemption for 85,000 in J. (Although I'm 99% sure it will be manually nono'd)
Is it the best deal? Well, 'wink' can fare as well as this value, so nothing tooooooo astonishing to me.
cheung.chunyuenc likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Didn't peruse again, but the new T&Cs specify that they can shut you down when 'they think' whatever your itinerary proposed is backtracking.

Technically, under the new chart, FRA-HKG-CDG, JFK-HKG-LHR, ...(anything longhaul-longhaul connecting in HKG, across different countries) can be ticketed as one one-way redemption for 85,000 in J. (Although I'm 99% sure it will be manually nono'd)
Is it the best deal? Well, 'wink' can fare as well as this value, so nothing tooooooo astonishing to me.
Haha... not a chance. They’ve long woken up.

But I remember just short of a decade ago it was possible to book SYD-LHR-USA as one way for 25,000 Avios-predecessor in Y, double that for J and triple for F! “wink”
Old May 26, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Can somebody please explain to the unaware what this 'wink' reference is, it comes up again and again for cheap Asia Miles (or other OW?) redemptions on CX?
Old May 26, 2018, 6:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Can somebody please explain to the unaware what this 'wink' reference is, it comes up again and again for cheap Asia Miles (or other OW?) redemptions on CX?
PMed you~~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.