Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 11:51 pm

Marco Polo's e-mail was disappointingly big on spin and low on information - I had to come here to decipher it.
Did they learn nothing from their previous cock up?
Old May 23, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Marco Polo's e-mail was disappointingly big on spin and low on information - I had to come here to decipher it.
Did they learn nothing from their previous cock up?
Isn't it intentional?
marcommm likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by watery
Isn't it intentional?
it may be but if I wanted misdirection I would be more active on BAEC or living amongst our northern neighbours.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Upgrades are badly hit

Old May 24, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
This hit my redemption pattern hard as I mostly redeem J Companion and PEY->J upgrade... But since quite a large portion of my flying are Ultra Short and Short sectors, I do benefit quite a lot from the earning change... So the change is sort of a tie for me... In Cantonese "A grain of suger with a grain of sh*t"...

Also changing the round trip charge to one-way x 2 can kill the current "confirm one sector but waitlist another" problem which I believe quite a lot of calls every day is to deal with such adjustment....

And at least they learn a lesson from the MPC messes...

I have already bought my ticket but my flight is after 22 June 2018, how do I calculate my miles?

If your Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon ticket is issued before 22 June 2018 for travel on or after this date, you will be credited with the higher number of Asia Miles, irrespective of the changes.
G-CIVC, FlyPointyEnd and marcommm like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:10 am

Wow, I'm screwed. I travel MEL-HKG in premium economy (W or R fares) for work. I upgrade to business on Asiamiles. I earn 4% more Asiamiles on these fares but the upgrade will cost 60% more Asiamiles. Do the maths on that. This is going to totally change my travel plans, it'll be day flights in PEY rather than night flights in J.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Horrible for me as I frequently use PEY->J upgrade NY-HKG. Old RT rate was 45K now bumped to 70K, 55% increase. Bumped up earn rate on W/R class doesn't match. After I make DM this year, jumping to AA.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: Asiamiles
Mumbai redemption looks so good now! only 20k return
Old May 24, 2018, 12:31 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Interestingly the numbers that were "leaked" by IT error, don't match up to what has eventuated. They match the "concept" (less miles for LAX, and D/I class) but not the actual earn rates.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...es-leaked.html
Old May 24, 2018, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Wow, I'm screwed. I travel MEL-HKG in premium economy (W or R fares) for work. I upgrade to business on Asiamiles. I earn 4% more Asiamiles on these fares but the upgrade will cost 60% more Asiamiles. Do the maths on that. This is going to totally change my travel plans, it'll be day flights in PEY rather than night flights in J.
Mind you, it is worth noting I'm not going to another airline. From MEL-HKG direct, neither QF or VA has premium economy. QF offers premium economy if you stop in Sydney. But get this: the QFF earn vs burn rates for this route are almost the same as the new CX rates (roughly 3 flights = one upgrade for both airlines). I suspect some research has gone into the new rates to ensure they are as low as possible while still matching the competition.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sscywong
This hit my redemption pattern hard as I mostly redeem J Companion and PEY->J upgrade... But since quite a large portion of my flying are Ultra Short and Short sectors, I do benefit quite a lot from the earning change... So the change is sort of a tie for me... In Cantonese "A grain of suger with a grain of sh*t"...

Also changing the round trip charge to one-way x 2 can kill the current "confirm one sector but waitlist another" problem which I believe quite a lot of calls every day is to deal with such adjustment....

And at least they learn a lesson from the MPC messes...
Pretty much on the same boat, I do a lot of J companion upgrades and J-F upgrades, while I lost a few miles exMNL, the onward travel seems to make up for it. I think its better than what most people feared it would be....
Old May 24, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade

Originally Posted by synthkeys
Horrible for me as I frequently use PEY->J upgrade NY-HKG. Old RT rate was 45K now bumped to 70K, 55% increase. Bumped up earn rate on W/R class doesn't match. After I make DM this year, jumping to AA.
Actually it was the redemption too cheap when they roll out PEY... Y to PEY and PEY to J are both 50% of Y to J but everyone of us knows considering the price of K class, R class and I class PEY to J is a super "value for money" choice...

I'd say they "corrected" this "error" even though I'm also getting hit...

p.s. lionelhutz Your case is same as mine... I always do PEY to J upgrade when flying long / ultra long haul business trip... But as such I really doubt you have such luxury to choose your flight as wished
Old May 24, 2018, 12:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Mind you, it is worth noting I'm not going to another airline. From MEL-HKG direct, neither QF or VA has premium economy. QF offers premium economy if you stop in Sydney. But get this: the QFF earn vs burn rates for this route are almost the same as the new CX rates (roughly 3 flights = one upgrade for both airlines). I suspect some research has gone into the new rates to ensure they are as low as possible while still matching the competition.
The difference is that QF offers reasonably priced upgrade bids should you wish to try that.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From https://www.ausbt.com.au/the-winners...tm_source=hero

More comment by Ausbt in the link
Article has been updated from the original version. It looks like CX has stated that the 20% increase in availability is in the standard awards and does not include the “choice” awards.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Just catching up- not quite sure how bad just yet..

so so does my SIN-HKG-ORD r/t biz redemption jump from 145k to 2*85k (‘bad, but could live with’) or 2*(25k+85k) (‘bye bye Asiamiles’)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.