Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The comments in this article from SCMP are relevant to this thread as well as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-2016-a-3.html

Since I could only post in one....

There seems to be some criticism of food service:

“We are paying attention to all the feedback we are getting – some is positive and some is less positive than we hoped for,” he said. “But we are trying to address passengers’ concerns.”

Premium customers of the company’s first class lounge have complained of sub-standard service under Plaza, citing slower food service, smaller food portions, botched drink orders and miscommunication with wait staff."

"Cathay Pacific to unveil its largest ever business class lounge as complaints about finances persist"

Friday, 20 May, 2016

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...s-class-lounge
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:51 am

Any further updates on PP service and catering?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I'm guessing they've fixed most of the problems and the world hasn't ended?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sxc
I'm guessing they've fixed most of the problems and the world hasn't ended?
I was at the lounge last week I ordered my normal breakfast plate, came out with two fried eggs, a slice of bacon and a piece of sausage.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: QF WP
My turn to report back... I was in the haven for (late) lunch on Sunday. There were less than 20 pax at at time, and it took them just 5 minutes to bring me something I didn't order. A little later, as more pax joined (and the rest of my group arrived), the services headed downhill very quickly. Staff needed to be asked multiple times to do simple tasks such as clearing used plates/glasses. To make another order, it took 3 attempts before someone was willing to actually take orders. A few staff also appear to have a poor understanding/use of English.

However, we tried some different options on the menu, and there are no complains on any of the food items.

Headed down to the Pier for (early) dinner later, and it was definitely an improvement from the Wing. Couldn't find any fault with the services or the food. It looks like their effort in sorting themselves off have paid off. There is also a new staff there who used to work in the QF lounge, so I'm sure his experience will come in handy.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Just been there for breakfast last week. Excellent Egg Benedict made and the staffs' service attitudes were much much better than before, good smile and very attentive. ^^Well done!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I've tried both Pier and Wing F after the change... What I can say is there's still obvious decline in food quality in Wing but Pier is comparable to before now (first two weeks after the change Pier was not good as well)
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
In the pier right now, While the food is not bad, I can see big difference compare to lets say one year ago,

Seared Tuna, 3 little pieces of Tuna,
Beef stew, very small portion

Compare to the burrata and lets say, the Chinese beef, it is a big downgrade, portions are also much smaller,

On the plus side, the staff was very pleasant and smiley, almost makes it up for the food , service was very quick and efficient,

For someone using a lot other FL and to put things in perspective, Cathay F lounge are still way better than Average, the only F lounges that beat the wing IMO in terms of food are the QF lounges.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If portions are smaller, see it as a chance to sample more choices! Order two at a time....CX will get the idea when their charges go up (assuming they are charged on an actual usage basis).
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by sxc
If portions are smaller, see it as a chance to sample more choices! Order two at a time....CX will get the idea when their charges go up (assuming they are charged on an actual usage basis).
I actually prefer smaller portions. If I just want a bite, I order one, if I'm hungry, I order two.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
I'll be contrarian and say that there's actually been minimal change. In fact, given the similarity in the layout of the buffet and the specific items on offer in Wing F, I'd say that the CX/Plaza premium strategy has been to change as little as possible. Yes, the old Peninsula staff have gone, and the Peninsula truffles in the buffet area have been moved to non-Peninsula truffles in the outside area, but that's about it. If one didn't actually know that the contract had been changed (i.e. outside of this Flyertalk board), you would think it's actually the same caterer as before.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Okay here's my take - went to the Pier and was denied massage (4 hour wait with only 4 hour layover and not allowed to book at initial check in).
food in self serve didn't look that good, dining room crowded (around 10 pm) do went to the Wing
Changes I noticed in the Wing - a lot less choice of liquers - especially missed my favorite (which I discovered there) lychee liquer

But the big surprise was the roast (instead of the regular whole ham) was a "composite" of pieces of ?mystery meat shaped into a "roast" UGH

The entree I ordered beef cheek was 50% fat and a small portion (but the taste wasn't bad). the desserts were a big let down from before.

All in all a BIG disappointment. Coupled with the dismal menu (hkg-sfo) which hasn't changed in ?years it was a good thing I wasn't hungry. This is just sad for a alleged premier first class product.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Okay here's my take - went to the Pier and was denied massage (4 hour wait with only 4 hour layover and not allowed to book at initial check in).
food in self serve didn't look that good, dining room crowded (around 10 pm) do went to the Wing
Changes I noticed in the Wing - a lot less choice of liquers - especially missed my favorite (which I discovered there) lychee liquer

But the big surprise was the roast (instead of the regular whole ham) was a "composite" of pieces of ?mystery meat shaped into a "roast" UGH

The entree I ordered beef cheek was 50% fat and a small portion (but the taste wasn't bad). the desserts were a big let down from before.

All in all a BIG disappointment. Coupled with the dismal menu (hkg-sfo) which hasn't changed in ?years it was a good thing I wasn't hungry. This is just sad for a alleged premier first class product.

Do not understand what do you mean by "not allowed to book at initial check in". You mean check in for the flight or check in to the lounge?

Except for the sushi, no reason to go to the Wing over the Pier. Unlike the setting in the Wing, the "buffet"selection in the Pier is not located in the dining area, instead it is more like a snack bar rather than a buffet section for a full meal.

I have always been complaining about the serving portion at the Wing.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LchChester
Do not understand what do you mean by "not allowed to book at initial check in". You mean check in for the flight or check in to the lounge?

Except for the sushi, no reason to go to the Wing over the Pier. Unlike the setting in the Wing, the "buffet"selection in the Pier is not located in the dining area, instead it is more like a snack bar rather than a buffet section for a full meal.

I have always been complaining about the serving portion at the Wing.
Check in for first flight (some airlines allow to reserve on check in )

I went to the pier to get a massage, but since that wasn't happening and the self serve looked unappealing and the dining room was overcrowded with a sad menu I left and went to the Wing (which at least allowed for some exercise since I had started out near there and the train apparently doesn't run in the reverse direction (though I didn't spend much time trying to find it)

As for the portions, well the used to be a lot larger than they are now, not a major issue since you can order more than one. BUT since the food wasn't very good not an issue for me.

Let's put it this way, if this was a restaurant I'd never patronize it again
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:37 am

I was at Pier F for breakfast last Friday.

Service was quick and friendly (there were 9 other people in the restaurant). The eggs benedict was very good as was the bircher muesli (which for some reason came after the eggs). Also had one scoop of rum + raisin ice ceram.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.