Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
At the Wing too myself. Yeah no salmon. Found that weird. Limited on the breakfast selection. Seems most of the menu is just eggs. Don't like the new siu mai.

Service doesn't seem that bad, food wasn't delivered late or anything. Only thing I noticed was the bottles of Evian are smaller now.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by alphaod
At the Wing too myself. Yeah no salmon. Found that weird. Limited on the breakfast selection. Seems most of the menu is just eggs. Don't like the new siu mai.

Service doesn't seem that bad, food wasn't delivered late or anything. Only thing I noticed was the bottles of Evian are smaller now.
Noticed that too,they are 0,33 instead of 0,5 (onboard they still hand out the 0,5 ones). I don't mind actually,less waste and you can always take two with you....I mean everything is better than those 0,2 BonAqua bottles in G16 LOL.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I had uncle go to Vancouver for his grandchildren run tonight and told him to keep an eye on the lounge food.

I did explain Penn has been replaced by Plaza Premium so this is not a blind test.

He just reported back the taste of the food in Wing J is similar but the portions are smaller.

And there seems to be more variety of food.
Attached Images   
Old May 22, 2016, 12:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'm having an as-long-as-you-can-imagine layover at HKG today and have been checking out the recatered lounges. At Cabin now and there is unlimited smoked salmon!!!!! Unbelievable and I believe there are a few more types of cold cuts and salads etc (the paninis are gone however). That part of the spread actually has as much variety and quality as the QF lounge, surprisingly. Too bad I can't get my favorite energy shake at the bar anymore as it's become some not very appealing Chinese herbal medicine themed specialty drinks.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
That panini press was a highlight when that lounge opened, although I never found the paninis to be all that great (for a free panini!). Is the press still there?
Old May 22, 2016, 6:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I think it's not there any more.

As for the dan dan noodle at the Wing, they now have 韭菜 (what is this in English?) in the soup, which makes the taste very weird and different from what it used to be in the past. Yikes.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I think it's not there any more.

As for the dan dan noodle at the Wing, they now have 韭菜 (what is this in English?) in the soup, which makes the taste very weird and different from what it used to be in the past. Yikes.
"Chives"
Old May 22, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Had the nut crusted salmon today at my first visit after the change; tasted good, but a bit out of proportion with the other items on the plate. (Too little of the onion and cabbage (?))

The squid salad was rather pleasant!

Also had a cheese plate which had an OK combination of cheese and grapes/fig/apricot, but quantity was ridiculous. A 3mm thick and two inch long slice of brie, seriously? And of the hard cheese there was something that resembled a single slice cut with a cheese slicer (although it was clearly knife cut).

Service was polite and efficient. Not perfect as dishes arrived before the previous one was finished, but not terrible by any accounts.

So I think they are working on it and it is improving, but still a bit to go!
Old May 23, 2016, 8:16 pm

I am a DM for many years and feel disappointed after reading negative comments on the new operator. I must confess the negative news affected my perception on this new operator even before I visited the CX lounge. On the contrary to such comments, each time my experience has become more positive, in particular the food offering and quality has improved and the staff is much friendlier - they actually interacted with me asking how the meal was a stark contrast to before. I took the liberty to talk to the Duty Manager, and I found out that the TW lounge was handed-over to a new operator in less than 6 hours before reopening. I think it is absolutely crazy! I have full empathy towards this new operator and we should give them an opportunity to show their ability. Frankly if DMs were happy with the previous operator, CX would not have changed it. I can ensure you that I am a very demanding DM, but we must also give people an opportunity especially if the new operator has shown the right attitude and a will to serve. I am sure CX will give them pressure to improve F&B in the lounge. I also believe the CX management will not choose a new operator without experience. Keep-up the good work. The lounge is still one of the best in the world.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Having tried the Penn and Plaza Premium lounges over here as well as the Plaza Premium in TPE (the CX BKK lounge is also Plaza Premium right?) I get distinct feeling passengers strictly get what CX paid for. Penn (Pier F) and Plaza Premium (own TPE, CX BKK) can prove they can do quality if they have the budget.

Last edited by percysmith; May 23, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Old May 24, 2016, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Had dinner at the F wing on Sunday night. Excellent service; elegant and youngish waiters who were very attentive, efficient and smiling (constantly checking tables to see if anything is needed). What a change from the previous "does not care" staff. Food a little bit better. White wines are even more mediocre but there was a nice NZ pinot noir. Overall, I find it an improvement.

Last edited by brunos; May 24, 2016 at 7:38 am
Old May 24, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Again at the Wing. Have to say service is quite agreeable. Very good. Proactive service. For example before if they take your plate they either reset my dirty utensils or take them away and then I have to ask for more. The new staff will provide new utensils without me asking. Just the food taste not as good as before, or perhaps it's not the same as the food I'm used to here.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by percysmith
Having tried the Penn and Plaza Premium lounges over here as well as the Plaza Premium in TPE (the CX BKK lounge is also Plaza Premium right?) I get distinct feeling passengers strictly get what CX paid for. Penn (Pier F) and Plaza Premium (own TPE, CX BKK) can prove they can do quality if they have the budget.
Plaza Premium have their flagships in HKG as well. Crowded at times but works reasonably well. They have some cook-to-order food in the west lounge as well.

I was on *A a few days ago, and dropped by some of those lounges as well - ALL of which seem to be run by PP.

UA - closed for refurb, pax are directed to use the PP lounge.
TG - next door to the PP lounge, and I think it's run by PP too. Offering is a lot more basic, although most of the buffet-style food and snacks are matching exactly to those available in the PP lounge.
SQ - Saw a staff with a PP name badge. It has a much greater buffet food choice and served bar.

So in summary, PP is perfectly fine and capable of running lounges - as long as the airline gives the instructions/cash to do so.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I'm hoping to visit the Wing next week while I wait for my flight to TPE, I'm hoping that since it would be on the A350, CX would want to park it up front at Gate 1-4. Hopefully I get more time in the Wing to check things out.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:28 pm

Six Days Before...

...one arrives HKG to get a first hand look at the Pier F situation. I hope the recent damning article in the South China Morning Post (www.scmp.com) on CX's spate of significant problems (financial, labour, airline service quality, and, yes, acknowledgement by CX that the Pier F transition has been a total disaster - but, hey, for all those actually paying $9,000 US for a TPAC flight, they're on it, working it, but they just don't know how) has been an incentive to improve things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.