Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
thoughts from first visit since "handover"

I spent about 40 minutes in the Pier today, had lunch. All my time was spent in the dining room.

My experience, and (single anecdote...) conclusions. Long story short, I had a good experience but still encountered some hiccups as my main course was mixed up, and one of the appetizers I ordered never appeared. I'm optimistic though.

I was seated, restaurant was <20% full for lunch. Tons of tables to choose from as is my customary experience. I have never seen this lounge crowded and today was no exception. FWIW, I was seated by a waiter who I had to flag down inside (nobody was at the host desk), but I had this same experience with the Pen staff too sometimes, so far no major difference.

I was served by 3 different waiters. All of them friendly, smiles on their faces, frankly...friendlier staff than I was used to when it was the Pen! I realize this is probably a cultural difference but I am not really a fan of the more proper colonial style service, I'm not British or from a commonwealth country and that's just never something that felt comfortable to me. But I could see how some folks would take the staff swap from Pen to PP as negative: I'd call the waiters I had today more "informal" and perhaps "less professional" than before. Although they all wore quite bright smiles, moreso than crew staffing the place before. If given the option, I choose this new one.

Here is where our (minor/medium) troubles emerged. Long story short, they a.) forgot one of my appetizers and b.) served me the incorrect main course. (they incorrectly served me the crusted salmon thing, although it looked lovely fwiw!). I never got to try the appetizer I missed, that simply never appeared and I had to eventually leave. But they did correct the main course. Now to be fair, Pen has screwed up my order before in the Wing, although that was during a completely full house with a line out the door. Today, I'm really not sure how they screwed up my order because I communicated the order in English to one waitress, and both English and Mandarin to another, and they had 3-4 staff team standing over by the kitchen door area....it seemed to me they were working hard to organize and get things right. The kitchen door pow-wow was ongoing the entire time I was in there, clearly they are trying to iron out issues. Furthermore, when they brought me the wrong main course I repeated my order for a third time, however I still didn't get the second appetizer I ordered before I had to leave for my flight. Oh well. Wasn't the end of the world because I did order two appetizers and at least I got one. Perhaps ordering two was a weird request. But probably a kink or two still needs to be worked out, because the place wasn't busy at all.

[I will also add, I can imagine the service I had today would clearly break down if this place was busy. Hard not to see issues being present. Because it was max 20% full when I visited, maybe less, and there were 6 visible staff working the dining room. They were having these pow-wow meetings of 3-4 people by the kitchen door routinely, and clearly some confusion was ongoing. If the place was 50% full, or more, my word I could absolutely see this being utter chaos. You know the feeling when you go into a restaurant and the entire staff is new? That was the feeling today. They whiffed on my order and I was one of just two tables ordering at the time. However, it's not unrecoverable I presume, give they just started]

I was not really put off by the experience and I'm still optimistic. I had 40 minutes, which was more than enough time for them to get my correct main course out, and I got 1/2 appetizers. If my lounge time had been limited, I probably would've been a bit angrier, or if the place was busier I think problems would've been greater. But on the positive side thought the food taste was nice, and presentation of the beef ribs thing was quite pleasant. I don't know who came up with presentation - Peninsula, CX or PP - but I thought it looked cool and in the spirit of the lounge's vibe, with the separate wooden circular thing of rice plated on that massive wooden tray thing.

Service feels less "crisp" and "inexperienced" at least for the task at hand, I think that's pretty clear off the bat to me. Had I never read this forum I still would feel differently in here, something just feels a tiny bit "off". It might've been the confusion pow-wows going on over by the kitchen door, it was hard to ignore them, especially when my food got delayed and then mixed up.

However, given what I experienced today I don't see why things can't improve and, as rami says above, maybe even get better than before. Again, I have never seen such bright-smiled waiters and frankly I presume they can fix things like screwed up orders, but you can't make an unhappy person happy. I really enjoyed two Pen staff I got to know in the Wing and one in the Pier, but other than that I frankly found service - although efficient - quite dour. If PP can get their staff efficiency up I think I could see this an improvement over Pen **provided they can figure out how to deal with the restaurant when it's even slightly busy**. I still think they gotta work this out, at least from my observation today.

Last edited by QRC3288; May 9, 2016 at 3:02 am
Old May 9, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I spent about 40 minutes in the Pier today, had lunch. All my time was spent in the dining room.

My experience, and (single anecdote...) conclusions. Long story short, I had a good experience but still encountered some hiccups as my main course was mixed up, and one of the appetizers I ordered never appeared. I'm optimistic though.

I was seated, restaurant was <20% full for lunch. Tons of tables to choose from as is my customary experience. I have never seen this lounge crowded and today was no exception. FWIW, I was seated by a waiter who I had to flag down inside (nobody was at the host desk), but I had this same experience with the Pen staff too sometimes, so far no major difference.

I was served by 3 different waiters. All of them friendly, smiles on their faces, frankly...friendlier staff than I was used to when it was the Pen! I realize this is probably a cultural difference but I am not really a fan of the more proper colonial style service, I'm not British or from a commonwealth country and that's just never something that felt comfortable to me. But I could see how some folks would take the staff swap from Pen to PP as negative: I'd call the waiters I had today more "informal" and perhaps "less professional" than before. Although they all wore quite bright smiles, moreso than crew staffing the place before. If given the option, I choose this new one.

Here is where our (minor/medium) troubles emerged. Long story short, they a.) forgot one of my appetizers and b.) served me the incorrect main course. (they incorrectly served me the crusted salmon thing, although it looked lovely fwiw!). I never got to try the appetizer I missed, that simply never appeared and I had to eventually leave. But they did correct the main course. Now to be fair, Pen has screwed up my order before in the Wing, although that was during a completely full house with a line out the door. Today, I'm really not sure how they screwed up my order because I communicated the order in English to one waitress, and both English and Mandarin to another, and they had 3-4 staff team standing over by the kitchen door area....it seemed to me they were working hard to organize and get things right. The kitchen door pow-wow was ongoing the entire time I was in there, clearly they are trying to iron out issues. Furthermore, when they brought me the wrong main course I repeated my order for a third time, however I still didn't get the second appetizer I ordered before I had to leave for my flight. Oh well. Wasn't the end of the world because I did order two appetizers and at least I got one. Perhaps ordering two was a weird request. But probably a kink or two still needs to be worked out, because the place wasn't busy at all.

[I will also add, I can imagine the service I had today would clearly break down if this place was busy. Hard not to see issues being present. Because it was max 20% full when I visited, maybe less, and there were 6 visible staff working the dining room. They were having these pow-wow meetings of 3-4 people by the kitchen door routinely, and clearly some confusion was ongoing. If the place was 50% full, or more, my word I could absolutely see this being utter chaos. You know the feeling when you go into a restaurant and the entire staff is new? That was the feeling today. They whiffed on my order and I was one of just two tables ordering at the time. However, it's not unrecoverable I presume, give they just started]

I was not really put off by the experience and I'm still optimistic. I had 40 minutes, which was more than enough time for them to get my correct main course out, and I got 1/2 appetizers. If my lounge time had been limited, I probably would've been a bit angrier, or if the place was busier I think problems would've been greater. But on the positive side thought the food taste was nice, and presentation of the beef ribs thing was quite pleasant. I don't know who came up with presentation - Peninsula, CX or PP - but I thought it looked cool and in the spirit of the lounge's vibe, with the separate wooden circular thing of rice plated on that massive wooden tray thing.

Service feels less "crisp" and "inexperienced" at least for the task at hand, I think that's pretty clear off the bat to me. Had I never read this forum I still would feel differently in here, something just feels a tiny bit "off". It might've been the confusion pow-wows going on over by the kitchen door, it was hard to ignore them, especially when my food got delayed and then mixed up.

However, given what I experienced today I don't see why things can't improve and, as rami says above, maybe even get better than before. Again, I have never seen such bright-smiled waiters and frankly I presume they can fix things like screwed up orders, but you can't make an unhappy person happy. I really enjoyed two Pen staff I got to know in the Wing and one in the Pier, but other than that I frankly found service - although efficient - quite dour. If PP can get their staff efficiency up I think I could see this an improvement over Pen **provided they can figure out how to deal with the restaurant when it's even slightly busy**. I still think they gotta work this out, at least from my observation today.
Thanks a lot QRC3288 for posting your experience. Absolutely agree that the staff seem to be sincerely happy,just a bit unexperienced. That said some (many) of them used to work at The Bridge and the supervisor I have met at the dining area told me he used to work at Grand Hyatt. (hopefully it is not against forum rules to post this?)

So,as you say I think they are capable of fixing these issues,which is the most important aspect.

I am looking forward to see what the new menu will look like (post 12th of may),as this will give us a hint on what to expect from PP in the long term.

PS : Does anyone know if G16 catering contract has also been handed over to PP? If I remember correctly it was (still is) handled by Maxims or something simmilar? I do enjoy going there for an hour if my flight departs from gates 16/17/18 as it gives me a direct view on the state of boarding Also it's always empty,which for me is a big deal,as the lounge is meant to be a calm place and not a "market place" (term used by one of the Pen staff,who used to work at The Pier to describe The Wing F

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; May 9, 2016 at 9:46 am
Old May 9, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by insideman
That's not what I heard ... I was in TP FCL last week and CX lady at desk saying that Pen went out of their way to trip up Plaza P ... refusing them access to kitchens until the day of the handover so they couldn't do any proper preparation.

Anyway, teething problems inevitable - although they have been severe. From The Bridge example, and new outports (eg taipei), Plaza P appear able to do a good job.

Fingers crossed CX/PP don't ruin what is a great lounge
Sorry,slightly misunderstood the previous post. You are absolutely right,the PP team only had 5 hours from the moment they were first allowed to enter the facility to the start of their first working day.

I was trying to say that Pen folks worked hard (in terms of customer service) till the last moment. This was in response to this post from august.

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Last time I was in Haven the manager and staff are busy giggling and laughing then serve guests. I guess they know they're leaving so what the heck with it attitude....
Old May 9, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by christep
Why didn't you simply ask for gin with some olives (that being a martini without vermouth)?
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
My law partner always orders the same thing, and I always give him a hard time about it. What's the difference? Isn't a martini without vermouth exactly the same as cold gin with olives in the right glassware?
The history of the martini is interesting and it's morphed from the vermouth occupying as much as 50% of the drink more recently less than 10% and even to as little as 0%.

For me, couple of drops of vermouth is fine but more than that alters the flavor of the drink too much and sometimes it's easier to request no vermouth than merely a 'little' as I've seen that term construed as a cap full. Oftentimes asking for a couple of drops is not taken literally either.

Anyway, I did ask for olives. I asked the manager behind the bar who made my drink, I asked the waiter who delivered my drink and I subsequently asked yet another waiter who passed by my table.

Never were any olives forthcoming.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Pleased to hear service is getting better. I'll be there a few times in the next couple of weeks and look forward to that being the case. ^
Old May 10, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
I was at The Pier again last night and issues still exist in The Dining Room. I agree that Plaza Premium staff come across as friendlier. However, I suspect that given the poor transition and all the current problems the staff may be under strict orders to be very nice at the least. LOL.

I had a server who's first day was yesterday. I had to repeat everything I wanted twice or thrice. For one item to order on the menu, that may be ok, but for drink, appetizer, main and dessert...ugghhh. She was apologetic and I appreciated that but again I felt that the majority of The Dining Room staff are just not ready. My server's English was good and I think she was just too nervous. I ordered my burger medium well and it was served in under 10 minutes, unfortunately it was medium rare. The manager came to apologize and offered to prepare another burger but I refused as I didn't have the time. When I expressed my frustration that there continued to be all sorts of problems all he could say was that they were still working on things.

While others here have experienced an improvement and are optimistic; I'm just still frustrated. Yes, transitions like this are difficult and take time but we're talking about CX and Plaza Premium managers who are paid to execute well and make sure transitions are quick and successful. The new staff are friendlier but that should be basic and expected. At this point, until things really improve I'll likely eat at the Qantas Lounge and just spend the rest of my lounge time at The Wing or The Pier depending on my flight's departure gate.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
At this point, until things really improve I'll likely eat at the Qantas Lounge and just spend the rest of my lounge time at The Wing or The Pier depending on my flight's departure gate.
I have a lot of praise for the Qantas lounge as a Business Class lounge, but isn't using it instead of The Pier a bit of "cutting off your nose to spite your face"? I believe The Pier has much better food even if currently it's served badly. Qantas doesn't have any a la carte food, except in a small window at night, and there's a choice of one dish.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I have a lot of praise for the Qantas lounge as a Business Class lounge, but isn't using it instead of The Pier a bit of "cutting off your nose to spite your face"? I believe The Pier has much better food even if currently it's served badly. Qantas doesn't have any a la carte food, except in a small window at night, and there's a choice of one dish.
Can't even compare the two.

...and if someone really can't stand the service,they can just use the buffet at The Wing's Heaven,or to a lesser extent,The Atrium.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I was in the Wing for four hours on Monday. Every service employee I encountered, without exception, was friendly and smiling, a pleasant change from when the Pen had the contract. The girl who kept my champagne glass full when I was working at the Apple computers was even a bit chatty!

In the dining room, I ate from the buffet but requested a coffee with cream and sugar. The waitress didn't understand (but maintained her smile and friendly attitude throughout); so she got a waiter who spoke English better. He, too, was smiling and friendly; and my coffee arrived quickly.

From my perspective, this is a big improvement; I don't ever recall a waiter/waitress smiling when it was under Pen control.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: CX DM, AA EM
Dined at The Pier today. Perfect experience. Excellent and warm service. seared tuna and the very tender beef rib curry. Very yummy!
Old May 11, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Johntempletravels
Dined at The Pier today. Perfect experience. Excellent and warm service. seared tuna and the very tender beef rib curry. Very yummy!
+1 on enjoyed the beef curry...unfortunately I couldn't try the seared tuna despite having ordered it, because it failed to show up after a 40 minute wait
Old May 11, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I agree that The Pier has better food than Qantas Lounge despite some service issues. In my prior post, I should have elaborated that eating at the Qantas Lounge instead of The Dining Room at the Pier isn't solely a result of my experiences of poor service since the turnover to Plaza Premium. It's also a function of the fact that I've been flying CX quite a bit this year and have pretty much tried everything on the afternoon / dinner menu - the beef ribs, the salmon crusted with nuts, the burger, the lamb stew, the fragrant chicken starter and tuna starter. The only items I haven't tried are ones I'm allergic to. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the new Plaza Premium menus will be.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
+1 on enjoyed the beef curry...unfortunately I couldn't try the seared tuna despite having ordered it, because it failed to show up after a 40 minute wait
Old May 11, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was in the wing Wednesday lunchtime & to be honest it was a bit 'lack lustre'. I ordered a cauliflower & truffle soup (good) & a duck main (it had lived a stress life, tough as a boot). The waitress who took my order delivered the duck, looked at me and asked 'you want soup as starter'? The lighthearted 'no as a dessert, but whenever is good' was lost in translation!

The order of a glass of champagne and water was eventually delivered, the waitress did not make any contact, eye or verbal and when asked for a glass for the bottled water wandered off and never returned.

They have a bit of work to do but I am sure they will get there, and I think patience & some manners (from what I saw) is required by users.

The lady at the cabana check-in was as helpful as you could possibly ask for although is this managed by PP? The service in the pier was excellent although this was just at the bar.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:19 am

I was in The Pier for the first time since the May 1st changeover this morning, the issues must have been resolved. Food was very good, wait times were short (5-10 mins) and the staff seemed happier, a lot happier in fact.

The only negative was the plates came out at different times but thats just a HK thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.