Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Visited the Pier F lounge for the first time.

Impressions:

+Scallops were tasty
+Pan-fried Salmon was really enjoyable. I liked it better than any of the main courses on both of my CX First LAX-HKG-LAX flights.

-Was told massage service was booked solid for two hours in broken English. Would have been nice to have been told that I could get a buzzer anyways for waitlisting.
-They forgot my dessert order
-I asked for a HK-style milk tea, but cancelled the order after it took over 10 minutes. In retrospect, I should have been clued into this eventuality when the service lead asked another staff member "Do you know how to make one?"

Overall, I thought it was a nice lounge, but it fell short of my (extremely lofty, based on ohters' reviews) expectations.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Anyone snap a pic of the new "all day dining" menu (aka, not breakfast) yet? Apologies for not getting it the other day. I'm really keen to see if others are as disappointed as I am.
Here you go. I took this yesterday 24 July.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:32 am

I am not happy with the change either. So I would recommend what I did since CX does not actively monitor this thread. Complain on Twitter
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I am not happy with the change either. So I would recommend what I did since CX does not actively monitor this thread. Complain on Twitter
It's just such a bummer! The hard qualities of the lounge are so nice. Yet the restaurant - perhaps THE defining feature of F vs J - has basically been swiftly downgraded less than a year after opening by putting in PP. It's clear to me after yet another visit this outfit still cannot figure out how to run the restaurant. Shocking I'd be saying this, because I really thought there would be ZERO change swapping out Peninsula (aka HKSH) and I quite like the friendly manner of PP staff. But when orders are wrong (or forgotten) again and again and again, I simply see the friendliness as incompetence. Also, the fact I'm often struggling to communicate in English AND Mandarin with multiple staff is flabbergasting to me in a lounge of this caliber. (I don't speak Cantonese, but speak the other two fluently).

And then there's the new menu, which just isn't....appetizing to me. Brutal. I am the fool who took Peninsula for granted!!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Fragrant chicken gone.... gutted
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi

Also I don't recall seeing the Eggs Benedict before,though I might be wrong.'
Eggs Benedict was definitely there earlier this year.

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Fragrant chicken gone.... gutted
While I like the idea of the dish I found the sauce to be way on the salty side.

Wasn't the now 'Thai pomelo salad' previously a Vietnamese pomelo salad?

Also the beet and goat cheese salad and the pumpkin soup are gone.

And no more mango and sticky rice.

Edit: Looked at a menu from April 29. On this new menu there are 3 less mains and 3 less deserts. The 'Starter and Soup' category remains at 6 options.

Last edited by dsquared37; Jul 26, 2016 at 6:42 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan
In fairness, menus do seem to change and evolve, and I'm fine with that.
I was in The Pier last week and the menu was different from what was referenced for July 24.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:47 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by clazza
I also had the burger last Friday and it was pretty poor compared to before. However, they did ask me how I would like it - medium rare - and it came out that way.

I was expecting a new menu last Friday...somebody here posted a note saying it would change then? Anyway, no changes as of Friday afternoon
We are complaining about the burger but over here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rger-like.html
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
After having been to the lounges numerous times, I find a marked improvement over the Peninsula version.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Personally having not flown CX for over six months, I'd say the menu looks like it's improving, in at least there are many choices now.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by sxc

Well it's all relative. Galleries F food is like a motorway service station cafeteria.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Originally Posted by sxc

lmao I can't stop laughing at this.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I guess everyone's taste is different. From the change in type of food (quality - composite meat loaf vs real roasts, etc.) and offering size as well as decreased alcoholic drinks and quality available I would guess they probably got a quote that cut their costs by 50% or more (remember a guess).

Wing and Pier now basically have the same (lousy IMHO) menu - was nice to have different ones before.
New menu is not very interesting (to me), "beef stew" had inedible beef and topped with a sour cream type sauce (NOT mentioned on the menu) more appropriate for beef stroganoff. The sea bass was nice, but a tiny piece albeit cooked and presented well. And to be fair the creme brulee dessert was quite good. On the other hand I was totally ignored for 20 minutes (with 5 people in the whole restaurant) while others had plates cleared and drinks refilled - I had to ask twice for a refill and multiple times to get a plate removed
As I entered the staff manager proudly pointed to the "specials" - dan dan noodles and wonton noodle soup!? Aslo a plus - the staff now smile occassionally.
There was not a long wait for massage (might have been related to time of day since this was late morning and my other experiences have been in the evening)
All above are for the first class lounges.
Since I had a long layover I also visited the Bridge which had (IMHO) a much wider choice of hot dishes, some of which were quite tasty despite not being made to order!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Had breakfast earlier this week. Not up to scratch I'm afraid.

A nice song was playing then cut off cold. Music didn't return. No biggie.

Ordered eggs Royale. The poached eggs were solid through, but somehow the cook managed to form pockets of water in the eggs that wet all of the muffin. Water and (well done) egg yolk doesn't work.

The holandaise was served on the side rather than on top. This was the consistency of margarine. I had to dig it out and smear it onto the egg.

Improvement is needed.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
Had breakfast earlier this week. Not up to scratch I'm afraid.

A nice song was playing then cut off cold. Music didn't return. No biggie.

Ordered eggs Royale. The poached eggs were solid through, but somehow the cook managed to form pockets of water in the eggs that wet all of the muffin. Water and (well done) egg yolk doesn't work.

The holandaise was served on the side rather than on top. This was the consistency of margarine. I had to dig it out and smear it onto the egg.

Improvement is needed.
Was that in Wing or the Pier?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Was that in Wing or the Pier?
The pier F canteen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.