Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I have a feeling I'm going to be very disappointed with the Pier next week...
Old May 16, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by alphaod
I have a feeling I'm going to be very disappointed with the Pier next week...
At the Pier now with my sisters, having late lunch before our flight back to Manila.

Order taking was faster, the meals food got delivered fast...quality is still below what we are used to when it was managed by Peninsula.

The burger patties look disgusting, they look like those being sold in some random backstreet of Manila...definitely a few steps down from the old Angus Burger.

The conpoy soup is similar...but was cold, the shrimp toast was replaced by a piece of fried wanton...which was also cold.

The clay pot chicken was just blah...definitely not the same with the old clay pot chicken I've has a few months ago...

Service is fast and excellent, just need to work on food quality....
Old May 16, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
i agree the burger was pretty disgusting. Quality was way down compared to the Peninsula kitchen.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Was in the Pier last night. Received a menu and ordered sparkling water. Immediately another staff came up to take my drink order (martini, made well this time).

It then took awhile to get anyone's attention to order food.

The pumpkin soup was surprisingly good but the garoupa showed up 3 minutes later and sat while I ate the soup. It was also rather devoid of fish and 'souped' up with tofu.

I then asked for a menu to check out desserts and after 10 minutes left due to a combination of not really desiring anything and nobody coming back to take my order.

Overall better than the day of transition but still not what I'd expect.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:34 pm

My friend was also saying that The Pier didn't have cranberry juice yesterday....which is quite ridiculous as its a base for a couple of mixed drinks.

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
At the Pier now with my sisters, having late lunch before our flight back to Manila.

Order taking was faster, the meals food got delivered fast...quality is still below what we are used to when it was managed by Peninsula.

The burger patties look disgusting, they look like those being sold in some random backstreet of Manila...definitely a few steps down from the old Angus Burger.

The conpoy soup is similar...but was cold, the shrimp toast was replaced by a piece of fried wanton...which was also cold.

The clay pot chicken was just blah...definitely not the same with the old clay pot chicken I've has a few months ago...

Service is fast and excellent, just need to work on food quality....
Old May 16, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mafai
i agree the burger was pretty disgusting. Quality was way down compared to the Peninsula kitchen.
Definitely a few steps down....

Name:  27032561596_49d77ed79c_c.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  181.0 KB

I'm actually curious as to how much of this clusterf*ck could be attributed to the transition, being new to the kitchen and all, and how much is because of the cost reduction on the part of CX.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:13 am

The burger we get on the plane as midflight snacks probably won't taste better than this, but perhaps the lounge kitchen should learn a thing or two about burger presentation from CLS catering.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
The burger on the plane is consistently horrible.

Dry stale bread and the patty is just greasy without flavor. Had it twice this and the last month HKG-LAX-HKG.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: CX DM
I also had the burger last Friday and it was pretty poor compared to before. However, they did ask me how I would like it - medium rare - and it came out that way.

I was expecting a new menu last Friday...somebody here posted a note saying it would change then? Anyway, no changes as of Friday afternoon
Old May 17, 2016, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by clazza
I also had the burger last Friday and it was pretty poor compared to before. However, they did ask me how I would like it - medium rare - and it came out that way.

I was expecting a new menu last Friday...somebody here posted a note saying it would change then? Anyway, no changes as of Friday afternoon
I thought they were going to release something by the 12th...but the menu yesterday was still the same. Anyway seems like CX wants to cut the costs further....

Name:  27067026165_b1211a99ee_c.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  138.8 KB
Old May 17, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by clazza

It was me and this is what the PP supervisor told me,seems it has not gone as well/fast as planned.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:42 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Definitely a few steps down....

Attachment 10651

I'm actually curious as to how much of this clusterf*ck could be attributed to the transition, being new to the kitchen and all, and how much is because of the cost reduction on the part of CX.
As CX's flagship lounge, this looks indeed poor for a First Class lounge offering.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by Mafai

Had a burger on Monday. I liked the patty better now than before!

Seafood rice soup not quite as nice though.

Oh well.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
At The Wing F now. It seems they no longer actively offer smoked salmon during breakfast hours, at least today on May 19th. At the buffet, the smoked salmon is replaced by salami......like those you can just pick up from supermarket for $2.99 for 500g type.

I asked the waitress about it and she then said if I wanted she can bring some to my table. And a few minutes later she did. I just struggle to understand why they did this. Ah wait...they must be matching the CX new style of premium service, everything on request! Like ear plugs, cheese board on supper service, etc. lol

Last edited by HKGglobaltrotter; May 18, 2016 at 5:57 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
At The Wing F now. It seems they no longer actively offer smoked salmon during breakfast hours, at least today on May 19th. At the buffet, the smoked salmon is replaced by salami......like those you can just picked up from supermarket for $2.99 for 500g type.

I asked the waitress about it and she then said if I wanted she can bring some to my table. And a few minutes later she did. I just struggle to understand why they did this. Ah wait...they must be matching the CX new style of premium service, everything on request! Like ear plugs, cheese board on supper service, etc. lol
No,no,no don't they dare to remove the salmon from the buffet,now I am upset....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.