Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
This thread is overly alarmist re PP taking over.
Ha yea, I'm am admittedly a guilty party here.

My initial logic before PP took over was: this will be fine...it comes down to how much CX is paying, not who is running things. And presumably some (brief) period of transition would be needed.

But hearing the deluge of criticism was admittedly unnerving. Because it didn't seem like a one-off...it seemed like everyone was encountering it. Then I ran into a former colleague, who is also DM and some of our small talk gravitates towards CX. He doesn't use FT, but said something to the extent of, "CX has ruined the Pier, I don't know what's going on", and proceeded to describe exactly what the rants in this thread were about. Normally, when folks come here making a sweeping generalization due to one or two anecdotes ("my meal was cold yesterday, CX food has really gone downhill in the last month!"), I ignore it. But a lot of the posters here are DMs, almost all are very frequent fliers, and most are quite familiar with CX. And every anecdote seemed to be very similar.

Anyway, as quick as it got bad, at least the last few posts are encouraging. I'll be there shortly myself, but one or two anecdotes don't paint a picture. Hopefully the original logic is right and PP/CX get the kinks straightened out.....and a lot of this is just going to come down to how much CX is paying. Because the Pier is really a lovely lounge, and I second the poster somewhere else who said he likes the atmosphere over the SQ Private Room you get when you fly F. I really don't like the vibe in the Private Room at SIN, I far prefer the feel at Pier F. There aren't too many people in F so its overcrowded, but at the same time there is something "natural" about having some other folks around.
Old May 8, 2016, 2:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
I have quiet a lot to say about my long visit yesterday to The Pier/Wing and I will be writing a longish post here....but first let met get some post flight rest,14 hours in Y is no fun,even on 787.
Off topic but I would assume Y on 787 is worse due to the seat width....
Old May 8, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
Off topic but I would assume Y on 787 is worse due to the seat width....
I am pretty big,both horizontally and vertically but I find 787 (at least the LAN and RJ ones) very decent,seat block helps ofcourse,but even with a neighbor it's fine.What I am not fine with is 777.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:16 am

A long post,so please bear with me:

So,I was at the Pier and ordered a mushroom salad and the burger,both came at the same time,but rather quickly (10 minutes). Service was extemely friendly and I even got the tablecloth (or whatever it is meant to be called in english) placed on my lap (and that definately never happened under Pen).

There was a PP supervisor taking orders and basically just working as part of the team,he was also there last week,so remembered me and we chatted for a bit. I told him that service this week was million times better than it was last week and genuinely appreciated my comments. Told him that I really miss that cheeze bread or whatever it is called that used to be part of the cheeze plate and showed him a picture of that and he asked me if I can forward it to him.He was also carrying a few comment cards,simmilar to the ones that crew carry on board,so I filled one in and I would encourage everyone to spend 5 minutes and fill one in. Generally I got the impression that they are happy to listen and make small changes.

Other staff also told me that there will be a menu changer at The Pier on the 12th.

The bar was manned by a Filipino female who used to work at The Bridge and she was really knowledgeable about the beverages and cocktails. Not quite Simon level,but certainly no complains.

I had a few phone calls to make and I prefer to do it in the corridor,as not to disturb the ambiance of the bar area and while waiting for the call,I witnessed an very demanding an unreasonable AA DYKWIA annoying the lounge staff. He had a very minor problem,apparently his massage appointment was delayed by 15 minutes or so,but he made it as if he has purchased Full fare F ticket,but was put in Y without compensation. The lounge staff (CX uniform) were extremely polite and professional and listened to him for at least 20 minutes, despite him being very unreasonable. So I approached them and thanked them for that and offered to leave my contact details and a comment card stating my version of the story. They really appreciated that and we had a pleasant chat to them...one of them turned out to be the lounge manager. We talked a bit about the handover and they said they were aware of the issues and they are working on it.

I asked where is Simon and was told that he was at The Wing,so I made a swift move there (who cares if their flight leaves from Gate 63,next to The Pier,40,522,or 203,if Simon is at The Wing?,you just go to The Wing).

The staff at The Wing were equally pleasant and the bar was staffed by Simon and ...by the CEO and founder of Plaza Premium and I did not realize it untill I started talking to him. He was very pleasant and apologised for my experience last week and was very glad to know that this week it was much better. From what I understood the team only had about 5 hours to fammiliarize themselves with the facility,as Pen did not let them enter before that. There are also plans to enhance (direct meaning,not FT meaning) the alcohol selection.

I will not be visiting the CX lounges in HKG for a month,but I will be looking forward for any reports on the new menu (after 12th of may) and especially the cheeze plate and salmon state.

Overall,both PP and CX are aware of the issues and are actively working on adressing them and I think the presence of PP's CEO behind the bar really says it all about how strongly they want to make things right.

PS:The CEO also told me that many people at The Pier asked where is Simon,so apparently he is famous within the wider CX flyers community,not just us,the FTers . I did introduce and showed Simon to the Flyertalk and some of the threads on here,he looked intrested in exploring the forum
Old May 8, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Smile

A

I will not be visiting the CX lounges in HKG for a month,but I will be looking forward for any reports on the new menu (after 12th of may) and especially the cheeze plate and salmon state.
Thanks for your detailed report. I also agreed with you that experience at the lounge this week was significantly better than previous week's visits. Good to know that they are looking into enhancing the alcohol selection. I will be flying out on 13th May; will keep you and others posted on how the new menu evolves...hopefully for the better!
Old May 8, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
rami, an incredible and thorough update.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan

Overall,both PP and CX are aware of the issues and are actively working on adressing them and I think the presence of PP's CEO behind the bar really says it all about how strongly they want to make things right.
Very enthused to hear this. Will be there again in a couple of days - I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements.

The terrible transition wasn't hyperbole - it was a remarkably different lounge experience.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:51 am

Happy to hear there has been a marked turnaround in the disastrous service that the Pier had a week or two back. The service was bad to the point it was almost comical, as if the Pen was intentionally sabotaging PP. Not a great impression for CX considering I also had a comically bad F flight back in February with repeated forgotten orders and a comically clumsy crew (though CX did redeem itself with very good service on my next 4 flights in F.)
Old May 8, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
Happy to hear there has been a marked turnaround in the disastrous service that the Pier had a week or two back. The service was bad to the point it was almost comical, as if the Pen was intentionally sabotaging PP. Not a great impression for CX considering I also had a comically bad F flight back in February with repeated forgotten orders and a comically clumsy crew (though CX did redeem itself with very good service on my next 4 flights in F.)
To be fair,in my view the Pen folks did their absolute best right until 8:59pm on 30th of april when The Wing closed. I miss those people.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
To be fair,in my view the Pen folks did their absolute best right until 8:59pm on 30th of april when The Wing closed. I miss those people.
That's not what I heard ... I was in TP FCL last week and CX lady at desk saying that Pen went out of their way to trip up Plaza P ... refusing them access to kitchens until the day of the handover so they couldn't do any proper preparation.

Anyway, teething problems inevitable - although they have been severe. From The Bridge example, and new outports (eg taipei), Plaza P appear able to do a good job.

Fingers crossed CX/PP don't ruin what is a great lounge
Old May 8, 2016, 7:38 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by insideman
That's not what I heard ... I was in TP FCL last week and CX lady at desk saying that Pen went out of their way to trip up Plaza P ... refusing them access to kitchens until the day of the handover so they couldn't do any proper preparation.
If this is true, it's very short sighted. A lot of movers and shakers go through these lounges, and they should know that these stories are going to get out. If I was looking to award a catering contract, it would make me think twice about Peninsula if they are going to be spiteful. And if PP fixed it all within a week, looks even better on PP.

Having said that, it could be a rumour being spread by PP to make up for their initial shortcomings.
Old May 8, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
If this is true, it's very short sighted. A lot of movers and shakers go through these lounges, and they should know that these stories are going to get out. If I was looking to award a catering contract, it would make me think twice about Peninsula if they are going to be spiteful. And if PP fixed it all within a week, looks even better on PP.

Having said that, it could be a rumour being spread by PP to make up for their initial shortcomings.
Whatever the 'excuses' are for the unnecessary foul ups taking place under CX's very nose, the ultimate - read ultimate - responsibility lies with CX corporate VP in charge of ground services. His office is in central Hong Kong - 24 minutes by Airport Express. If he isn't aware or has turned a blind eye and has done nothing to fix it then he's worthless; and if I were the CX CEO I'd fire his sorry behind out the door. This is CX's Flagship (with a capital F) lounge at their main hub, minutes away from their headquarters. And they permitted this shambolic transition. CX pays PP for the contract. I assume that contract could be terminated in a heartbeat if they don't live up to the supposed high standards CX has - but how high is questionable. This entire episode reflects extremely poorly on the management of PP and CX. Leadership went AWOC - Absent Without Caring. A bunch of sad sacks running a circus.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:37 pm

Seriously, are we still not done with the hysteria and hyperbole?
Old May 8, 2016, 11:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stargold
Seriously, are we still not done with the hysteria and hyperbole?
+1

Since the office is only 24 minutes away, I guess a picket line is being organised.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by loopflyer
Whatever the 'excuses' are for the unnecessary foul ups taking place under CX's very nose, the ultimate - read ultimate - responsibility lies with CX corporate VP in charge of ground services. His office is in central Hong Kong - 24 minutes by Airport Express. If he isn't aware or has turned a blind eye and has done nothing to fix it then he's worthless; and if I were the CX CEO I'd fire his sorry behind out the door. This is CX's Flagship (with a capital F) lounge at their main hub, minutes away from their headquarters. And they permitted this shambolic transition. CX pays PP for the contract. I assume that contract could be terminated in a heartbeat if they don't live up to the supposed high standards CX has - but how high is questionable. This entire episode reflects extremely poorly on the management of PP and CX. Leadership went AWOC - Absent Without Caring. A bunch of sad sacks running a circus.
Actually, their office is at the airport - CX City, not downtown.

Feedback from other posters seems to say that the issues are being fixed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.