Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles phones always busy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: CX MPC
One hour to make a redemption booking

Originally Posted by percysmith
[SIZE=1] Manila crew's pathetic...took me 11 minutes after connection to get a date changed...while I was roaming in Seoul...
It took me one hour (actually about 70 minutes) on the phone with the Manila crew last night to make a redemption booking. Is that a record?

And no--that wasn't the time taken to get through (they seem to answer the phone almost instantaneously), it was the time spent dealing with the agent. Admittedly it was a moderately complicated booking (two carriers, ultimately issued you as two separate tickets), but no way should it have taken that long. The (very friendly) agent actually admitted he had to go off and ask his colleagues for help several times.

When you factor in how much longer it takes them to deal with each inquiry, I wonder if Cathay is actually saving any money?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:42 pm

Some of the agents in Manila are good, some are terrible. If you have someone incapable just hang up and try again and hope you get a capable one. As you mentioned, there's no wait these days for English.

BTW, wages in Manila are really negligible, so 70 mins for a Manila employee still costs less than probably 15 for a HK employee.

Originally Posted by dgittings
It took me one hour (actually about 70 minutes) on the phone with the Manila crew last night to make a redemption booking. Is that a record?

And no--that wasn't the time taken to get through (they seem to answer the phone almost instantaneously), it was the time spent dealing with the agent. Admittedly it was a moderately complicated booking (two carriers, ultimately issued you as two separate tickets), but no way should it have taken that long. The (very friendly) agent actually admitted he had to go off and ask his colleagues for help several times.

When you factor in how much longer it takes them to deal with each inquiry, I wonder if Cathay is actually saving any money?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Manila crew's pathetic...took me 11 minutes after connection to get a date changed...while I was roaming in Seoul...

Correction, 16 minutes:

*131* PhoneHome (HK Local Time)

21/10/12 07:28 27475500 S.Korea 00:16:01 183.60

Total : 183.60

***faint***
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:45 pm

Burnt about 240 miles yesterday. Rotating 3 locations between my birthday, +1's birthday and 1 Jul.

8:30AM to Beijing line: Fix a previous redemption - OK, straight connect through.
9:10AM: Add a waitlist to new redemption 1 - I got connected to one of those callback agents and didn't realise it. She listened to my request then said "I have to have another agent call you back". Dammit!
11AM: I gave up waiting and called Manila Centre to do the waitlist.
8PM: Make a new second redemption involving partner airline - OK, straight connect through.

10:45AM today: Beijing centre (+86-10-17908000) called back on new redemption 1. Thought I was trying to upgrade instead of waitlist.

Beijing centre staffing seems be less than before - can't call through to real agent during office hours.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:47 am

Called Beijing centre with this (to me) convulated redemption request:

LAX-LIM//EZE-oSCL-oLIM-LAX (all on LA)

12PM: Got through to Beijing Centre pretty easily, but the operator asserted I can't do it - she considers it three stopover
1PM: Got through to Tsuen Wan Centre human voicemail. Gave them the proposed itinerary (I've looked up all the flights on ba.com) and asked them to call me back.
6:20PM: Tsuen Wan hasn't called me back but I got through to Tsuen Wan Centre agent. Managed to confirm legality of routing and also confirmed me on all segments. 60,000AM and $1,312 tax.

80 minutes wait but well worth it.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 8, 2013 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by Noodlesz
Some of the agents in Manila are good, some are terrible. If you have someone incapable just hang up and try again and hope you get a capable one. As you mentioned, there's no wait these days for English.
if anyone is calling the manila crew, based on my experience... JAY (who is apparently a supervisor) or TRYILL are not too bad...

the rest... ugh.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: Thai
This is really discouraging to read. Other airlines like EVA have recently updated their websites to allow award redemption. And before that, I used to just call the local (Los Angeles) EVA reservation number to get a mileage upgrade. Never a Problem. Sounds like CX could learn a thing or two from it's Taiwan neighbors.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
The agents do seem to be more competent than AV agents to be fair.
(That being said I would rather wait longer to speak to the Cantonese line and have the proper service which is to be expected on a carrier like CX)
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron38
This is really discouraging to read. Other airlines like EVA have recently updated their websites to allow award redemption. And before that, I used to just call the local (Los Angeles) EVA reservation number to get a mileage upgrade. Never a Problem. Sounds like CX could learn a thing or two from it's Taiwan neighbors.
You can do straight CX/KA award redemptions online. You just can't do the following without an agent:

- redeem upgrades
- redeem partner airline awards
- alter awards

To be fair, the other major program I use (VFC) doesn't seem to allow these three items to be performed online either.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Cameron38
The LAX number just redirects you to TPE based agents.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
called this morning through AM because a friend of mine has some expiring miles which he gave me for Christmas. Got through the line immediately and the agent (from Manila) handled it quite efficiently.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:16 pm

Happy new year

Small quirk to note:
I called at about 11:40 to 2747 5500 English (Manila) (my status GR). Hit the voicemail.
Same for Cantonese of course.

I then called 2747 3838 English, also Manila, and got straight through.
No dice for 2747 3838 Cantonese.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:52 am

Apple Daily piece on Asia Miles 26 Mar

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/financ...40326/18669250

[Staff Reporters] Cathay Pacific (293)'s "Asia Miles," Chief Executive Officer Stephen Wong said that at present the number of members has nearly 6 million people, about 1.3 people from Hong Kong, and then estimate the overall number of recorded double-digit growth. This year, the company increased focus on dining, shopping and other partners, and adding new airline partners to increase the range of tickets that can be redeemed.

In response to criticisms of its ticket redemption hotline, Wong said there are currently three outsourced call centres in Hong Kong, Philippines and Beijing manned by 600 operators but still insufficient to meet demand. Asia Miles has been development its online self-redemption facility, adding the ability to redeem BA and QF in addition to parent company CX and KA, and will continue to increase in the future.

Last year, the overall number of redemption tickets rose by 12 percent, but still the most popular tickets remain as Singapore, Taiwan and Bangkok. Wong says Asia Miles will increase dining and spending promtions, including a new partnership with Xiao Nan Guo (3666), where spending a minimum of $500 will earn at least 600 miles.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:18 am
Suspended

600 hired operators? or 600 operators at any given minute??
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/financ...40326/18669250

[Staff Reporters] Cathay Pacific (293)'s "Asia Miles," Chief Executive Officer Stephen Wong said that at present the number of members has nearly 6 million people, about 1.3 people from Hong Kong, and then estimate the overall number of recorded double-digit growth. This year, the company increased focus on dining, shopping and other partners, and adding new airline partners to increase the range of tickets that can be redeemed.

In response to criticisms of its ticket redemption hotline, Wong said there are currently three outsourced call centres in Hong Kong, Philippines and Beijing manned by 600 operators but still insufficient to meet demand. Asia Miles has been development its online self-redemption facility, adding the ability to redeem BA and QF in addition to parent company CX and KA, and will continue to increase in the future.

Last year, the overall number of redemption tickets rose by 12 percent, but still the most popular tickets remain as Singapore, Taiwan and Bangkok. Wong says Asia Miles will increase dining and spending promtions, including a new partnership with Xiao Nan Guo (3666), where spending a minimum of $500 will earn at least 600 miles.
for their Japanese partner of JL (which is one of HK's biggest travel destination), it still doesnt work to book online. nor if you have a simple open jaw. which these are like 90% of all my award bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.