Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Two stopovers, two transits or one openjaw

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

Right, i know this had been discussed.
I want hkg-ongo-octs-kix//ngo-hkg... But
I just got cut off by AM after a 30 minute discussion. Anyone had a precedent case of 2 stopovers and an open jaw en-route? I think its pretty clear in the TnC, but still got rejected and cut off by the agent!!! (she insisted that because of 2 stopovers i had, i cant take another openjaw.)
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:21 am

I got below one for my trip on summer 2013.

HKG-oFUK-CTS//MMB-o(HND/NRT)-HKG
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by kaka
I just got cut off by AM after a 30 minute discussion. Anyone had a precedent case of 2 stopovers and an open jaw en-route? I think its pretty clear in the TnC, but still got rejected and cut off by the agent!!! (she insisted that because of 2 stopovers i had, i cant take another openjaw.)
I'm newbie to CX too.

Is the rule a "2 stopovers + 2 transits" or "2 stopovers or 2 transits" (i.e. if you used 2 stopovers, you cannot transit in a 3rd or 4th location) in a return ticket?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
I'm newbie to CX too.

Is the rule a "2 stopovers + 2 transits" or "2 stopovers or 2 transits" (i.e. if you used 2 stopovers, you cannot transit in a 3rd or 4th location) in a return ticket?
updates: the original call i made was at 11pm. I called at 9pm another day and agent confirmed 2 transit and 1 openjaw is ok. I dont know if calling earlier (at another shift maybe) helped, or it was just an agent making her own rules when i first called.

2 stopovers and 1 transit is defo ok. I've never tried 2 stopover and 2 transits tho. (with the limitations of CX+1 airline it's not so easy... Maybe HKG-oTPE-xHND-oCTS-xHND-HKG or HKG-xHND-oCTS-oMMB-xHND-HKG

PS. I've just found out the agent who denied me 2 stopovers and an open jaw is downright wrong - the rule i need to challenge is 2 stopovers and 2 transit! (in the english T&C, it says what i stated on the topic. so i'd take it the transits and openjaw is connected by an "or" clause.
However, how would it suggest if i want to do a HKG-xHND-CTS//HKD-xHND-HKG!?! and in chinese they are all connected with an "and"! have anyone tried to challenge that!?

Last edited by kaka; Nov 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: QF WP (OW Emerald)
just ask the agent to input the itinerary into the system and the system should say how many miles it requires.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by kaka
kaka, were you actually able to ticket this?

two stopovers in addition to the destination plus the open jaw on the return? Was this a matter of CX to/from NGO, then JL to CTS and KIX

All for 30k miles? thanks

for some reason, I recall an old CX thread where the turnaround point was considered the second stopover, so I guess that was just bad info.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
I'm newbie to CX too.

English T&C have "or" but Chinese T&C have "and." Our experiences have been that the Chinese version is correct, and you can have 2 stopovers + 2 transits + 1 open-jaw.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:49 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yesterday I tried ticketing this as a 120,000AM J return Asia Miles award:

HKG-xMXP-oMAD-oMXP-HKG

At first, Beijing centre told me they can't do xMXP, because MXP-MAD-MXP is done on Iberia and they cited the following:

http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/site/terms

"2. The member or the Nominee may make two stopovers, two transfers or one open-jaw at either the origin, en route or turnaround point on all airline partners except Air China and Iberia where no stopovers or open-jaws are permitted."

I had Tsuen Wan centre repeat the query. If need be, I will convert to OW award tho that makes my routing even harder to organise. To my surprise, I got straight through at about 11:45am.

Tsuen Wan said the rule posed no problem and proceeded to ticket. Beijing centre called me back after to say after reconsideration they don't think it's a problem either but they already see Tsuen Wan's centre's booking.

Tsuen Wan released e-tickets to me this morning. So I guess the rule is truly not applicable to me. I don't fault Beijing for acting in accordance with rules, tho of course I appreciate Tsuen Wan can break it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
English T&C have "or" but Chinese T&C have "and." Our experiences have been that the Chinese version is correct, and you can have 2 stopovers + 2 transits + 1 open-jaw.
I have been able to ticketed the following award tickets before... so you should have 2 stopovers and 2 transits and 1 open jaw in one itinerary:
1. PVG-oHKG-xTPE-KIX//NGO-xTPE-oHKG-PVG; (30,000 miles in Y)
2. SIN-xBKK-oHKG-TPE//KHH-oHKG-xBKK-SIN (30,000 miles in Y)
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:39 am

I just asked Tsuen Wan Centre to check legality of LAX-LIM//EZE-oSCL-oLIM-LAX (all on LA)
Beijing Centre asserted no, 3 stopover
Tsuen Wan said OK and ready to ticket (I searched all the dates on ba.com, 60,000AM and $1,312 YQ).

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 8, 2013 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:10 am

I got below itinerary
TPE-oHKG-PUS//ICN-oHKG-TPE

The first customer representative quoted me 2 one way tickets total 40,000 miles. Then I sent email ask again and the other person quoted me 30,000 miles.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Pok Kai Jai
I got below itinerary
TPE-oHKG-PUS//ICN-oHKG-TPE

The first customer representative quoted me 2 one way tickets total 40,000 miles. Then I sent email ask again and the other person quoted me 30,000 miles.
https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/rede...ghtawardfinder

30,000 appears right

Ticket/Upgrade : Round-trip Ticket
Class : Economy
From To Airline
Taipei/Taoyuan Hong Kong Cathay Pacific Airways #
Hong Kong Busan Dragonair #
Incheon Hong Kong Cathay Pacific Airways #
Hong Kong Taipei/Taoyuan Cathay Pacific Airways #

Asia Miles Required 30,000
# You may not be able to redeem Asia Miles on some codeshare flights. To confirm eligibility, please call Asia Miles Service Hotline.

New Calculation
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: CXSL
Hello, recently I am looking at how should I use the 60,000 miles

I have think of the following routing

ICN-oHKG-LHR//MXP-oHKG-ICN

I called the agent and was told that there are 3 stopovers.
They consider the open jaw between LHR//MXP as stopovers, as I arrive in London 25 June, leaving MXP 28 June (>24 hrs). I argue that this is a open jaw, not stopover. But the agent said, if your open jaw is >24hr it would be considered as stopovers. Is that true?

Alternatively, I asked about -
ICN-oHKG-BKK-oHKG-ICN

The agent insists 3 stopovers, I argue BKK is a destination, not stopovers, but was not successful...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
From what I know, having done around many of these:

- two stopovers
- one openjaw
- within the rules.

ICN-oHKG-BKK-oHKG-ICN
- three stopovers
- violates the rules
- "destination" is not a category - a city is either the origin, a stopover, a transfer, or an open jaw.

so, with your example above, ICN-oHKG-LHR//MXP-oHKG-ICN is allowed but ICN-oHKG-LHR-oHKG-ICN is not allowed.

hope this makes sense.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I second the bkk one is out of rules whilst lhr//mxp shud b ok...

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
From what I know, having done around many of these:

- two stopovers
- one openjaw
- within the rules.

ICN-oHKG-BKK-oHKG-ICN
- three stopovers
- violates the rules
- "destination" is not a category - a city is either the origin, a stopover, a transfer, or an open jaw.

so, with your example above, ICN-oHKG-LHR//MXP-oHKG-ICN is allowed but ICN-oHKG-LHR-oHKG-ICN is not allowed.

hope this makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.