Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Horchata
Posting to provide a data point: Be v. careful with the Capital One card, if you plan on churning/not keeping past the 1st year. I was hit with the AF on the Spark Business card last month and called to attempt a waiver. Denied, no problem, but offered to downgrade to a no AF Spark card with the original $95 fee reversed. Turns out, they never reversed the fee and then charged me a late fee and interest on top, even though I had agreed to a downgraded product! 1st call, spoke to 2 people and was told by a supervisor that my T&C state that I owe the fee regardless. Made no sense - if I knew I'd be charged regardless I would have just kept the old card for at least another few months.

HUCA - was able to get everything taken off...crossing my fingers that this is actually the case haha...Guess I'll find out on my next statement!
I get tired of seeing customer services experiences like this. Bank reps need to smarten up.
Horchata likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:54 am
ra7

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I get tired of seeing customer services experiences like this. Bank reps need to smarten up.

I also ran into the same issue. Downgraded the venture card to quick silver. Was told that annual fees will be reversed and it never did. When I called customer service they told me that once the annual fees is assessed they cannot reverse the change even I do a product change because of their terms and conditions. So be careful with Capitalone.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Haven't paid an AF on the Venture card since I got it with the match your miles bonus.
%59 fee hit yesterday, I called and was told that corporate had decided no more AF waivers. I asked to escalate and got the same message.
I have until April 15 to cancel the card and reverse the fee.
Asked about converting to the 1.25 venture card and was told that was possible but that the fee wouldn't reverse since I was converting.
I guess I'm going to finally cancel completely. Too many other cards out there with better than 1% bonuses.
And I've been using them -- my spend on the Venture was only $10,500 last year, down a third from prior years.
Will try again in a few weeks. Otherwise decide if the $59 fee is worth the extra $105 in rebates.

Last edited by mot29; Mar 20, 2019 at 9:32 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Also had the same experience that fee could not be waived. Cust svc rep could ni t explain upgrade or downgrade options. Cancelled the card
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:35 pm

$95 AF just posted for my one year old Venture card. CSR credited me $95 to keep it open. ~$3,500 in spend last 12 months.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:34 pm

Just called in and was able to get my $59 annual fee waived with no hassle - it showed up for the rep right away. Have not paid the fee since opening the card in 2012. I do have Capital One 360 Savings & Checking balances, which may contribute to their willingness to waive the fee.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: sad kettle
Nice. I too had those accounts (though small balances) AND their brokerage but still they played hardball w/ me and would not waive. Glad they allowed you waivers so many times!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:11 am

was able to get the $95 fee waived on my venture one card by calling CSR - wasn't a hassle for me. About $7k spend in the past 12 months
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Intel
was able to get the $95 fee waived on my venture one card by calling CSR - wasn't a hassle for me. About $7k spend in the past 12 months
Your Venture One has an annual fee? Strange. Might as well get yourself a Venture card.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:08 am

Called CSR regarding the $95 AMF on the Venture card that hit almost 2 months ago. CSR checked and said a waiver is available - didn't need to pretend to cancel or downgrade. First AMF on the account, about $15K spend (mostly Hotels.com) since opening.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:34 pm

I have a Venture and Spark for Business, opened last November. Planning on keeping one. Which is a good option to keep?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by VinsTravel
I have a Venture and Spark for Business, opened last November. Planning on keeping one. Which is a good option to keep?
I'd keep the Venture. Were you able to make the 50k spend for the 200k bonus miles? If so, you should definitely drop the Spark. They just offered the promo again, and maybe will continue to do so in the future. If so, you could churn another 200k.
VinsTravel likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:58 am

I called the day that my annual fee posted two times. One time I got an offshore rep and in the morning I used the "backdoor" number that I found on google. I spent around 8k-10k on this card last year. They said I only have options to downgrade even when I mentioned the Citi Double Cash essentially provides the same benefit and I was thinking of cancelling. Any idea when fee waiver might potentially show up in account or how to ask for it?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Fee waived on first call!

I called the number on back of the card. Spoke to a very upbeat and helpful gentleman who immediately understood why I had called. He waived the fee after looking at the account. It took just five minutes. Very pleased with their agent, their app, no foreign transaction fee and ease of use of miles. Spent $10-12K last year and will continue to use it to diversify from Chase and Amex points
GTITAN and akr1970akr like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:48 am

I plan to downgrade it to QS. So if I do it around 11 months right before the AF hits is there a danger of claw back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.