Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by rbrad
berombeu
Is this standard practice for Cap1? There is no downgrade option unless you receive an offer, even if you call and ask?

Ex: signing up for the Venture, and then downgrading/product changing to the Venture One after 12 months (I have the Venture X and will keep it). Would I lose any points if I kept the Venture X?
In general, that's how Cap1 works when downgrade. You can call and ask, but be prepared when the reps said there isn't an option.

The miles stay with the card when you able to downgrade.
rbrad likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... (I have the Venture X and will keep it). Would I lose any points if I kept the Venture X?
Originally Posted by berombeu
The miles stay with the card when you able to downgrade.
I think rbrad is asking if holding Venture X would prevent Venture miles from expiring if they closed Venture (if there is no downgrade option).
rbrad likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think rbrad is asking if holding Venture X would prevent Venture miles from expiring if they closed Venture (if there is no downgrade option).
Thank you both. Yes, I am wondering about the above. Any insight berombeu or others?

Last edited by rbrad; Jul 13, 2023 at 4:45 pm Reason: Editing Name
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:50 pm

Thank you both. Yes, I am wondering about the above. Any insight berombeu or others?
You will have to transfer points to your VX card which is easy anyway, or else, they will cash out when you request to close.
rbrad likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: TK Elite, JGC Sapphire, ITA Premium, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I just talked to Cap One rep. I want to update a significant information for y'all.

Originally, I was planning to cancel the card as I heard from all the DPs saying that Cap One doesn't do prorated refund and you have to cancel within 30 days to get your AF back.

This morning I am here with the great news! Now Capital One will prorate annual fee if you perform a product change. In my case, I double checked with the rep that upgrading my Venture X to Venture One will result in prorating my $ 395 AF that hits on November 20th. Per her source, this prorate thing on product change was recently implemented by Capital One so that's why previously when people ask to get annual fee back, they can only cancel to get AF refunded within 39 days after annual fee hits.

Timeline
Nov 16th, used up my second year $300 Cap One Travel Credits
Nov 20th, $395 AF hit
Dec 19th, 10,000 Anniversary Venture Miles posted
Dec 19th, Called to cancel, but did product change to VentureOne instead and was promised on prorated refund (very likely I am probobly still got charged for $395/12 = $33 for a month worth of AF)
cnn and mrkenneth like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by bc1280
I just talked to Cap One rep. I want to update a significant information for y'all.

Originally, I was planning to cancel the card as I heard from all the DPs saying that Cap One doesn't do prorated refund and you have to cancel within 30 days to get your AF back.

This morning I am here with the great news! Now Capital One will prorate annual fee if you perform a product change. In my case, I double checked with the rep that upgrading my Venture X to Venture One will result in prorating my $ 395 AF that hits on November 20th. Per her source, this prorate thing on product change was recently implemented by Capital One so that's why previously when people ask to get annual fee back, they can only cancel to get AF refunded within 39 days after annual fee hits.

Timeline
Nov 20th, $395 AF hit
Dec 19th, Called to cancel, but did product change to VentureOne instead and was promised on prorated refund (very likely I am probobly still got charged for $395/12 = $33 for a month worth of AF)
How did this turn out? Did your refund post?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:06 am

Programs: TK Elite, JGC Sapphire, ITA Premium, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Yeah, full $395 refunded a day after!
ffI, mrkenneth, SpaethCo and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:00 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
So it may be worth to wait for 10k anniversary miles and then downgrade.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:45 pm

Timeline
Nov 20th, $395 AF hit
Is there updated language that reflects the prorate? Appreciate the DP, just want to be sure I'm not SOL if I decide to wait it out for my anniversary fee and then find out I don't get refunded the AF.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:15 am

Thank you for testing and sharing it! Did Capital One say if the refund would still be prorated if you "upgrade" after 30/39 days?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:56 pm

Seeing a lot of mixed info as well on the annual fee. I know if you downgrade the card, you're not going to get the annual fee back or reduced.

What if you outright cancel? So the annual fee hits the card, and then I cancel within 30 days. I'm seeing a lot of information saying that even if you cancel within 30 days of the fee, it will not be refunded as soon as they charge it to the account.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by tearfromred
I'm seeing a lot of information saying that even if you cancel within 30 days of the fee, it will not be refunded as soon as they charge it to the account.
I have moved your question into the thread which discusses this issue. Please scroll back to review recent posts.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:52 pm

Talked to rep and cancelling the card is 39 days to get annual fee waived after the fee posts on the account. Checked for my Venture X
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is it easy to downgrade to the Venture One? To upgrade to the X, I believe one must get a targeted offer. Does it work that way for downgrades as well?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is it easy to downgrade to the Venture One? To upgrade to the X, I believe one must get a targeted offer. Does it work that way for downgrades as well?
Unsure about the easiness part, but yes you have to be targeted for downgrades as well. SO had to cancel her Venture because she wasn’t targeted for downgrading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.