Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:04 am

My $95 AF for C1 Venture is due to hit in a few weeks. I opened a VentureOne last month and stopped spending on the Venture. Is there any reason or loss in value (other than minor credit impact) to transfer my Venture Miles to the VentureOne and close the standard Venture before the AF posts?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by c5ruzr
My $95 AF for C1 Venture is due to hit in a few weeks. I opened a VentureOne last month and stopped spending on the Venture. Is there any reason or loss in value (other than minor credit impact) to transfer my Venture Miles to the VentureOne and close the standard Venture before the AF posts?
Product changing to the VentureOne wasn't an option?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I think I read somewhere that C1 does not refund annual fees or that the card has to be closed 60 days before the fee hits. True?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL, WN, B6, Marriot, IHG
Historically with Capital One, if you upgraded your card to a card with a higher MF, they didn't waive the fee that was already assessed. Which is totally what I was expecting. Got a letter in the mail that says "If you were charged an Annual Membership Fee with your current card within the last year, the last Annual Membership Fee before this upgrade will be refunded and you will be charged a new Annual Membership Fee" which is great because mine was recently assessed (I chose to upgrade knowing this, because Capital One took away the ability to upgrade to the Savor products a few months after introduction, and added a MF to the Savor a year or so later, I wanted to get while the getting is good); I'm not sure if this is specific to my account, but there's a number on the letter, 1-866-953-7907 8am-11pm est. to call for questions and they may be able to answer questions about your account as well. Can anyone attest to this actually happening?

Last edited by Boogywoogy; Mar 7, 2022 at 5:13 pm
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Capital One Venture, annual fee posted a few days ago, called to get it waived, they agreed with little hassle, second waiver in three years
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Capital One Venture, annual fee posted a few days ago, called to get it waived, they agreed with little hassle, second waiver in three years
How much do you use it?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How much do you use it?
About $8,000 in spending in 2021
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think I read somewhere that C1 does not refund annual fees or that the card has to be closed 60 days before the fee hits. True?
Capital One does refund fees when the account is closed within in 30 (?) days. What differs from other banks is that if you choose to downgrade the card (say Venture to Venture One), you’ll have to do it before the fee hits. Once the fee shows up, to get a refund you can only close the account or get them to waive the fee.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
I’ve had my Venture card for a decade and have been able to get the $59 AF waived every year except last year. When I got the Cap1 X when it came out in November, I was pondering whether to keep, cancel or downgrade the Venture card when renewal came up. $59 AF posted a few weeks ago. When I called and asked about a fee waiver, CSR checked her screen and was able to offer me one. Credit posted 2 days later. I hadn’t used the card much in the last year (but did take advantage of $100 credit for GE renewal for my daughter). At least, I can revisit this next year after seeing whether I’ll keep the Cap 1 X card or not.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
In the AF waiver / retention bonus department....

AF hit in early April, called in and requested a waiver and was advised there was none available in my account. Which to me indicates that, at times, there are some available.

Probably 30K+ spend in the last year, so I guess I am not *that* good of a customer for C1. Lol.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:01 pm

Most years, I have been able to get my annual fee refunded without too much of a hassle. Last year, it was a hard no, even after talking to a supervisor. After seeing some posts about refunds this year, I called and, after being put on hold a few times, was finally told there was not an offer on my account. I finally asked what the criteria was to obtain a waiver, since some years I get one, but not consistently. I also asked if she realized I had a deposit relationship in addition to the credit card, after which she asked to put me on hold once again. After a long hold, she told me after "looking deeper" into my account she found the fee waiver offer! I'm not sure what they are looking at, but perhaps there are different places in their system where the fee waiver offer might be located.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Decided to cancel my Venture card after 7 years. I liked the 2% bonus, but already have Chase Sapphire Reserve so don't need any of the travel benefits. And using the 2% as cash meant I had to always be putting some travel spend on the Venture card (2% back) vs the CSR (4.5% back). So I got the Wells Fargo 2% card with no AF to team with my CSR.

When I called, I said I would keep it if they gave a credit for the $59 annual fee somehow, but they said they don't do that. Proceeded to politely cancel my card. Last year spend on that card was over $70,000. Kind of surprised they made no attempt at all to retain me. But then, I was not going to spend on that card anymore so no real loss I guess.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:38 am

Anyone with experience on retentions for the Venture X card? It came out about a year ago so annual fees should be posting now for early adopters.
dineaux likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
Anyone with experience on retentions for the Venture X card? It came out about a year ago so annual fees should be posting now for early adopters.
I'll give my experience then: I called and there was no offer to waive the fee. It wasn't clear if they never waive it for this card or that a waiver just wasn't available for me (I'm guessing the former but I don't know).

Agent moved pretty quickly with the closure after that (I still wanted to keep the card) so be mindful of that if you're in the same boat.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by danpeake
.... no offer to waive the fee.
Many issuers do not have the concept of a fee waiver, but offer performance based retention offers of money or points which may offset the fee. Did you ask if they had any other type of retention offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.