Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Another year, another credit of the $59 AF on the CapOne Venture card. I've had this card since it was created, spend about $10-12,000 a year on it and never paid a fee.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mot29
Another year, another credit of the $59 AF on the CapOne Venture card. I've had this card since it was created, spend about $10-12,000 a year on it and never paid a fee.
How do you pull that off? I've tried on different capitalone cards.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:24 am

Just call and ask. I've actually got 4 CapOne cards -- the Venture, the free Venture with the 1.25% cash back, a Sony card that came over from whichever company originally issued Sony credit cards, and Visa Platinum that seems to earn 2 miles per dollar but that I don't use and never get charged a fee for.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by celticmoose
No, it's 1:1 on gift cards. 20k miles is a $200 gift card.

If you want a statement credit, that's where it cuts if half.
I'm not sure about the 1:1 on gift cards, but it may be only on certain ones.

I had the Venture Miles card (since closed), but the "miles" rolled over to my Rewards Visa card (1.25 "miles").

When you go to redeem for cash, it's half, as you said.
If you go to redeem against charges on the card, it appears to be 1% (ie, 60,000 "miles" = $600).

If you redeem for CERTAIN gift cards (only those with a $200 or more option), it's 20,000 "miles" for $200.
but it's like 7,500 for a $25 card and so on. I think it's over 15,000 "miles" for the $100 gift cards.

And not all the gift cards offer the $200 option.

But again, it may be different if you still have the Venture card.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:58 pm

Have had a Cap One Venture card for years and always satisfied until now. Charge over 50,000 a year and pay in full monthly. Use the rewards for gift cards and sometimes the eraser for travel. Have been trying for over a week to get a travel charge changed from other services to travel so I can use the eraser. The charge is obvious in that it has both the word Sea and Resort in it. Cap One continues to research it like its the hardest decision they can make. Why do CC companies advertise and give tons of miles for new accounts and then treat good existing customers like crap when an easy question is before them.......Guess its time to let it gather some dust.....Like they would even notice or care.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
So I saw they raised the annual fee on the venture to $95 from $59. Is this for new accounts only or will mine now move up in price?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:12 am

I called capital one. Only had an annual fee on my 2% spark business. they were able to switch it to the same card with no annual fee but could not refund the annual fee i was just charged.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
I have had a Venture since 2010 and have been satisfied, with big charges always paid on time with no problems. However, I did not see a reason to pay an annual fee for 2% back on travel since I can get other cards that give 2% cash with no annual fee. So I called today since my annual fee would be charged tomorrow. They only offered to downgrade me to a worse card with no annual fee. I turned that down, and they said OK, we'll close your card. No attempt at retention and no offer to cancel the annual fee. It took about 2 minutes and that's it. Oh well, their loss.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Have you been able to have the fee credited after it posts?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
Have you been able to have the fee credited after it posts?
Always credited after it posts.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Always credited after it posts.
Just goes to show HUCA, A nice lady was more than happy to credit the fee this evening.

I called two days ago and got a "No we can't do this after it posts". from two guys.

I didn't recall calling prior to the posting last year and got the credit.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:15 am

Another year, another annual fee credit for the Cap One Venture card when I called after it appeared on my March statement. I wondered that maybe it wouldn't come through this year now that they have raised the annual fee. But the AF is still billed at $59 and a quick call got it credited again. My annual spend on this card is about $15,000.
I've never paid an AF on this card and got it with the match your miles promo years ago.
Very satisfied with their fraud protection warnings.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Another year, another annual fee credit for the Cap One Venture card when I called after it appeared on my March statement. I wondered that maybe it wouldn't come through this year now that they have raised the annual fee. But the AF is still billed at $59 and a quick call got it credited again. My annual spend on this card is about $15,000.
I've never paid an AF on this card and got it with the match your miles promo years ago.
Very satisfied with their fraud protection warnings.
Same here... another year and another AF waiver (both Venture cards). AF showed up on both cards this month. I've also had one of them since the miles match promo.

I noticed that if I call a day or 2 after statement closes, they won't give me the waiver. But, when I call back about a week later, they always give me the waiver.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: sad kettle
Posting to provide a data point: Be v. careful with the Capital One card, if you plan on churning/not keeping past the 1st year. I was hit with the AF on the Spark Business card last month and called to attempt a waiver. Denied, no problem, but offered to downgrade to a no AF Spark card with the original $95 fee reversed. Turns out, they never reversed the fee and then charged me a late fee and interest on top, even though I had agreed to a downgraded product! 1st call, spoke to 2 people and was told by a supervisor that my T&C state that I owe the fee regardless. Made no sense - if I knew I'd be charged regardless I would have just kept the old card for at least another few months.

HUCA - was able to get everything taken off...crossing my fingers that this is actually the case haha...Guess I'll find out on my next statement!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
With the new airline partner miles transfer program, things are looking good for Venture in 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.