Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:40 pm

Wow. It doesn't sound like many people get the $59 credited. good job.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:38 pm

Would not credit back or reduce fee. But did give me 250 miles. Not a big prize, I know, but just sharing the info.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Jetsfan
Would not credit back or reduce fee. But did give me 250 miles. Not a big prize, I know, but just sharing the info.
Would not offer us anything to keep the card. We wanted to convert to a no fee card, but said since the fee had appeared on the statement couldnt be waived. If we had called before the fee appeared they could have waived. Doesnt make a lot of sense or customer service, since the fee is really the trigger that a year is up. Would have liked a no fee no forex card but did not want to go through a new application.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jetsfan
Not withstanding the T&C, I have purchased TJ gift cards and received 7X for that purchase. Just make sure the total is over $60. I suggest also buying a product with the gift card purchase. Hope this is clearer. Good luck!
Does Trader Joe's sell gift cards to other places or just gift cards to their stores?
Old May 13, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Update to my previous unsuccessful attempt to have fee waived via online chat:

I was going to cancel this card but decided to hang on to it because I have a high CL and they always send those BT offers at 0% for 12 months. The annual fee had already posted. I had to call them because I entered my bank account incorrectly to pay this account. I asked the telephone rep if there were any promotions for the annual fee. Sure enough, she said there was and I already have the credit posted to my account.

We will be trying again next month for a fee waiver for my husband's card.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:21 pm

My annual fee is due to hit within the month and since I now have the Fidelity Amex (2% cashback on all purchases) I don't really care whether I keep this card or not.

I called in and they said there was no annual fee waived for the Venture card but that I could switch to the Venture One or 1.5% cashback. I switched to the cashback since it's technically a better deal.

Nothing new and everything happened as expected based on previous posts, but I thought I would share in case anyone was wondering if anything has changed recently.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:42 am

Forget asking Capital One for retention bonus

Obviously I don't post much, but I have been reading threads religiously for quite awhile now. I noticed a few people asking about Cap. One and retention bonuses or annual fee waived. I just wanted to post my experience..I have been with them for over 5 years-pay balance in full every month- spend (not manufactured) over 50K annually
I was told I could downgrade from Visa Signature to Venture
They would not offer a retention bonus
Not waive the annual fee
Kept touting their NFTF and how Amex and other banks charge them(which we all know is not true as things are changing) and said their annual fee is worth that alone-I politely countered with what if I don't travel internationally then that is of no use to me (of course I do travel over seas)
They did say if I downgraded my points would go with me (I know this is something many people have asked)
I will keep them one more year as I have an upcoming trip to use the points on, but I will no longer use their card
I will say I have been happy with their customer service over the last 5 years much better than Chase
I have seen lots of people write about getting the fee waived or a retention bonus, but most have the same story as mine where they are just offered a downgrade.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:44 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Meh.... I know there are a number of threads here on FT where people post their retention bonuses... but my personal take is that I am presented with the annual fee when I apply for a card, and if I end up using that card and benefit from its rewards program, I should just suck it up and pay the fee every year.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:52 am

^ yep, that is how I felt with Cap. One for the last 5 years. I have only had the fee for one year as I had a NF card for the first 4. I am still out on top, but now that I have all the points needed for my 3 tickets I figured I might as well ask. Once I use the points I will downgrade and keep them at NF purely for credit rating.
But with as much as I spend I am better off using what I have learned from everyone here. Through this forum I have now got my whole trip taken care of in the high season for a month in Thailand!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
I had intended several months ago to downgrade to the no-fee card right before my annual fee posted. I timed the call incorrectly and missed the cut off by a day or two. They absolutely would not budge on waiving the fee and transferring my account to the no-fee card, so I cancelled.

A few days ago, they sent me an offer to sign up for the no-fee (earn 1.25 points per $ spent) card with a 10,000 point bonus for spending $1,000 in 3 (?) months. I'm considering taking them up on their offer, but I need my memory jogged on the gotchas of this program.

Isn't the big gotcha on this card that you cannot use your points for partial redemptions of travel unless the travel involves airfare? In other words, if I have 11,250 points and a $125 hotel charge on my credit card statement, I wouldn't be able to redeem my points. I would either have to earn another 1,250 points or wait for my next travel expense that was $112.50 or less.

I guess the other question is whether this offer is likely to be sweetened with more bonus points if I hold out for a longer period of time.

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Jul 5, 2013 at 11:00 am
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Isn't the big gotcha on this card that you cannot use your points for partial redemptions of travel unless the travel involves airfare? In other words, if I have 11,250 points and a $125 hotel charge on my credit card statement, I wouldn't be able to redeem my points. I would either have to earn another 1,250 points or wait for my next travel expense that was $112.50 or less.

I guess the other question is whether this offer is likely to be sweetened with more bonus points if I hold out for a longer period of time.
I donno that it's a gotcha, but yes only some ROC's can be split (airline, some public transit, etc)
rememer in hotels you can ask for charges inany amount, charge $100 at checkin and the balance at checkout, then you have a $100 ROC
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:52 am

My experience with calling to cancel. I called a few days before the fee had posted and unlike others on here was told I had to wait till the fee posted before they could analyze whether a waiver was possible. So I just called back now that the fee has posted. The agent examined my account and said they would refund half the annual fee. I spent probably $45k on this card over the last 12 months and have had the card for 2 years. I declined the partial credit and had the agent cancel my card. They also offered to downgrade the card.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:42 pm

My husband called, fully intending to cancel his Venture card. This was just shy of 60 days after the AF had been billed and he'd already paid it. Strangely, they told him he could not get a refund of the AF by closing the account. However, they offered a $59 statement credit for keeping the account open, and it posted a few days later. This was the opposite of what I expected to hear! He got the card 3 years ago with the $100k offer, paid AF 2nd year, got it waived the 3rd year and now the the 4th year. He probably spends about $5000 per year on it, if that.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
No luck for me getting an offer to waive the AF on my Venture. The rep said that the fee waiver offers come and go, and it just depends on what promotions are available when you call -- beyond that, they don't have any leeway to grant credits/etc. If I cancelled/downgraded my card, though, that would provide a credit for the annual fee.

So, I'm planning to downgrade to a no annual fee card; what's the best CapOne version right now? Is it Quicksilver?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:31 pm

Called capital one today and they said they will waive the AF for this year since it's my first year. Had alot of spend on the card mainly for MS but also day to day stuff. They also told me that starting this week they will start allowing users to erase partial payment for travel instead of the full amount. Great news! They said they had a lot of complaints about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.