Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA G; TK E; HH D
I can confirm that the annual fee can be reversed after it was posted to the account. Really easy - no lengthy discussions. Took about a minute.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT
I just have finished conversation with CSR. $59 has been waived. It took only 3 min. I used the card only for minimum last year. I think today is my lucky day!

I wish best of luck to everyone!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:50 pm

I called today to cancel my card after $59 posted a few days ago. I was told they could not reverse the fee so I just cancelled it!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 6:13 am

Smile

Just got off the phone with Cap One. They waived my $59 fee so I didn't have to downgrade (or is that upgrade!).
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:45 am

I got a bit scared at the experience of some getting an irreversible fee. Just call and downgrade before the fee hit. They offered me the 1.25 mile no annual fee venture card, and I took it. Unless you actually use the card, I see no reason to not just preempt. I wanted to keep the account open because it has a pretty sizable line and have been open since 2007.

They made me agree to no promos from Capital one for six months, but this would not preclude me from March 2013!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:13 pm
blh

I first called after the fee had posted on the personal card and was told they could not waive the fee or change the card to one of the "no fee" cards. Only way to get rid of the fee would be to cancel the card. When asked if I had another card, I told them about my business card which had not had the fee posted but would soon. They said there was an offer for that card and they could give me a "no-fee" card. I said I would let them know later. Called back a few days later and was told there was an offer on the personal card - but not on the business card - which was what I wanted in the first place. So they waived the fee on the personal card, and I cancelled the business card. So, I would say to call back if you don't get the answer you want.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Called today and had the $59 fee on my "Spark" Venture Biz card waived. ^
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by blh
I first called after the fee had posted on the personal card and was told they could not waive the fee or change the card to one of the "no fee" cards. Only way to get rid of the fee would be to cancel the card. When asked if I had another card, I told them about my business card which had not had the fee posted but would soon. They said there was an offer for that card and they could give me a "no-fee" card. I said I would let them know later. Called back a few days later and was told there was an offer on the personal card - but not on the business card - which was what I wanted in the first place. So they waived the fee on the personal card, and I cancelled the business card. So, I would say to call back if you don't get the answer you want.
Doh, I wish i had tried this.... i would rather have canceled my biz card and keep the personal, but they already waived the fee on my biz tonight after they previously told me they couldn't waive the fee on the personal.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Doh, I wish i had tried this.... i would rather have canceled my biz card and keep the personal, but they already waived the fee on my biz tonight after they previously told me they couldn't waive the fee on the personal.
They seem to have some system, although unknown? Called to see about waiving my fee on Venure card told no(changed to Venture One and said credit for fee would be in one billing cycle). Wife called on hers and they said special offer on her's so they could wave it.
Sparks business card, I called today they said I had special offer and could waive fee. Wife called and no offer so she cancelled? Seems like they'll let you keep one, but they decide which one.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
They seem to have some system, although unknown? Called to see about waiving my fee on Venure card told no(changed to Venture One). Wife called on hers and they said special offer on her's so they could wave it.
Sparks business card, I called today they said I had special offer and could waive fee. Wife called and no offer so she cancelled? Seems like they'll let you keep one, but they decide which one.
Well I have good news to report that I called back last night and they DID waive the fee on my personal venture now. Lucky because my 30 days after fee hit was almost up. Maybe they changed their mind internally and started to allow waiving if asked or I just got someone having a nice day. She did mention that next year I would definitely have to pay it if I want ot keep the card. Fine with me considering that I have 53k miles to use for a trip starting tomorrow and want to deplete that balance before I think about closing the account. If I do, definitely going to keep the Sapphire with no forex fee and double points on travel/restaurant, which is all you do on a trip! Plus points can be worth more than 2cents when used right.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
The AF on biz card posted a few days ago. I called to see about a waiver and the rep said that they could not waive it since there was no offer. After inquiring about converting to a no-fee card, she said they could convert i but gave me a lame excuse about why I would still owe the $59. I know I should have called back and spoken to different agent, but decided to cancel it.

I had decided to keep the personal venture as I am in the process of booking a nice trip for my wife and I will be using the points accumulated from last year's promotion. So, I'm willing to pay the $59 for this year.

But, since my 30-day grace period is up in a few days, I decided to give it a shot. I spoke with a very nice agent who waived it for me. So, we ended up 1 for 3 on the waivers.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:30 pm

It doesn't matter how much you threaten to close, they have set options

I don't want to disrespect any of you but it truly doesn't matter if you threaten to close. It may have worked once in the past but even if you threaten there is already set options that are system generated. So regardless of how wonderful you've been as a customer, they are not giving you waivers because you threaten them. They give you a waiver because they have the waiver. Only about 20% of the accounts have those type of offers, and they are system generated. Again, people get it through your head... "they are system generated"! So if you want to know if you have it on your account just ask but even if you threaten to close the account it will not make them give it to you. If they do not have it on your account they cannot give to you majically. A lot has changed and now agents do not need to retain you as a customer. They just do what you ask and they can care less if you close your account. If they have it they will give it to you and if they don't have it, they will be more than happy to close your account if you want it closed. Feel free to ramble about how you got your waiver because you threatned, they only gave it to you because they had it to begin with.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:35 pm
inY

Originally Posted by gmangg
I got a bit scared at the experience of some getting an irreversible fee. Just call and downgrade before the fee hit. They offered me the 1.25 mile no annual fee venture card, and I took it. Unless you actually use the card, I see no reason to not just preempt. I wanted to keep the account open because it has a pretty sizable line and have been open since 2007.

They made me agree to no promos from Capital one for six months, but this would not preclude me from March 2013!
Why not switch to the 1.5% cash back on everything no annual fee card?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:09 pm

outrageous

Annual fees posted at the end of March on my personal + business Venture cards. A few days later (April 3) I called about the personal card and was offered a waiver; I called back about the business card and was told that they couldn't waive the fee for the Venture but they could switch me to a no-fee card, and I accepted that.

I called again today after noticing that the fee for the Venture card was still showing on my account, and was told that they weren't going to reverse it! I.e. that switching to a no-fee card on April 3 would't get me out of the annual fee for the Venture card that posted in my statement on March 28. Can that be correct? If so, outrageous.

Does that track with what anyone else is experiencing -- has anyone who switched to a no-fee card seen their fee come off?

Update: I did call back and confirm that if I cancel instead of downgrading, the fee will come off, so I went ahead and did that. But folks may need to be aware, if you definitely want to keep the account, downgrading after the fee posts may not get you out of the fee.

Last edited by palefire; Apr 17, 2012 at 6:42 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:44 pm

This is what i expect as well - downgrading may not reverse the fee after it posts.

I called today after the fee posted and they could
not reverse the fee. I am going to use up my last points
and try one more time. If no go, I will just cancel and move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.