Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:29 pm

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've called a few times and nobody has been able to waive my fee. I've spoken with a supervisor and was told that this is not possible if it is not offered by the computer.

I haven't had any spend during the past year, which very likely explains this scenario. Has anyone with no/minimal spending had their annual fee waived?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:20 am

i got my card "upgraded", but still fee there? is there someone who upgraded to cash card with miles converted to cash and also got fee reversed?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
data points

had 3 cards from last year's gig. Personal for self, wife, and business for self.

Called to 'upgrade' the biz to the no fee no nothing spark. Did it to 'look good' to C1

Canceled my personal before fee came.

Mulled over wife's C1 personal on which I am the auth user... Got charged the $59 fee and paid it. Then called in and asked if there was ANYTHING they could do. CSR said usually no but there WAS a one time offer to extend for one year a no annual fee gig! So I said Yes and she applied it, so now there will be a $59 statement credit on the already paid acct.

Cool!

it lives another day and still earns the double C1 miles. We do use it for little things like a parking garage fee or so.

MM
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
Having two recent pulls, that chance of being approved for the double bonus were slim. Had 50k on one card and could not resist the chance for 100K.
Instantly denied.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I just called and got the $59 "one time" waiver.
My 2011 spend on the card was just over $10,000 with an additional $4600 in the first 3 months of 2012. Even if the fee isn't waived in the future, this card is probably worth holding on to. I have another CapOne Plat Visa that rebates 5% on gas, groceries and drug stores, but converting to cash only gets 50%. When I transfer those points to the venture card, they retain full value when applied to travel.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:51 am

Got my fee for yr 2 waived yesterday after it had posted and it is now credited back. I spent about $4500 in the past year but pointed out I also have checking and CD with Cap1. Maybe they have relaxed their guidelines for waivers, as last week when the agent checked to see if I qualified for a waiver, the answer was no, but I did not at that time point out my checking and CD relationships.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:44 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I saw the other thread (Expired - Capital One Venture 100K points), and I basically thought there would be no chance to get the 2nd year fee waived. So, I called (for both my wife's and mine) to close our accounts, they offered both of us the "one time" annual fee waive. So, we took it.

Note that I spent only 3-4K on my card in the past 12 months but I did open a savings account with them after I got the card a year ago. My wife spent the 1K to get her 100K points, and no more spend after and no bank accounts either.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:48 pm

Called in and cancelled my card (did not ask for a fee waiver
nor was offered one - total spend about 3k).

Asked for a fee waiver for my other joint card and was told
no (total spend about 5K so far). Debating whether to wait
for the fees to post and call again or just move to cash card.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:48 pm

Called for waiver today. Was told no. Said I read on the internet others have got them. 3 minute hold. Told no problem. So not all the reps know it can be done.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: US CP, Marriott Life Platinum, AVIS 1st
Got my Venture last May and 110k miles to match. Reading the thread it appears that people are cancelling and then reapplying for the same card? Has someone actually cancelled, reapplied and then gotten the matching 100k miles a second time around.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Called and canceled my card last week. Could not justify even the $59 in the context of other fee and no-fee cards that I have.

Did not ask for and was not offered a fee waiver.

On the other, I was very impressed with how rapidly their Customer Service resolved an erroneous billing that was part of a charge made while in Germany.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:25 pm

I converted my Biz Spark miles card into Spark cash (2% CB) last November. The fee hit about 2 weeks ago. I was gonna keep the card regardless, I've been recently putting lots of spend on it ($25k+ in the last couple months), but then I saw this thread and decided to call today. At first the rep. automatically said no, but I asked her to double check. Five minutes later she came back and told me, since I've been doing so good with my payments they're gonna go ahead and waive it. The adjustment posted this evening. Thanks guys! ^
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
After calling in before the fee posted and shortly after it hit, I was finally able to get the fee waived on my third attempt. I have averaged somewhere between $1k and $2k per month on the card since signing up.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:15 am

C1: What a load of ....!

I spoke to at least 2 reps on different dates when I converted nearly 3 weeks ago. I specifically asked about my 119k miles and what will happen to them if I cash them out. I was told at least twice in various forms by both reps that if I cashed out the 119k, I could get it sent to me as a check for $1190. They were both wrong. There was even a third time I called last week and asked this same question, and why it was taking so long to show 1/1 conversion on the rewards site. That rep also assured me that I could get a check mailed for $1190.

So I call today and ask why this "smooth conversion" is taking so long to indicate 1/1 cash. This rep today tells me they were all wrong???? Come on, I've worked in CS before and I'm very aware of people making mistakes. So, I always call at least 2 people, sometimes up to 4 people and ask the same open-end questions in various ways to hear the same answers. ALL the calls said the same end result: "Your 119k miles will be worth $1,190 and you can get a check or apply it as a credit to your account".

Me: "So this will DEFINATELY be a one to one conversion on my 119k miles from miles to cash?"

Reps "Yes, it will equal $1190".

How can at least 2 reps say the same BS multiple times?
So basically I have to apply it as a credit to travel to get 1/1 per the rep today.

Is this because I have the business card version instead of the personal?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by scwam
C1: What a load of ....!

How can at least 2 reps say the same BS multiple times?
So basically I have to apply it as a credit to travel to get 1/1 per the rep today.

Is this because I have the business card version instead of the personal?
As I recall the T&C, the only 1 for 1 conversion was to travel, otherwise, 2 miles gets you $1. Others views?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.