Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:14 pm

Capital one venture

Approaching a year since I got the cap one venture card and I plan on canceling before annual fee hits. I have about 137k points I need to use first. What is the best way to use all the points at full value. I thought I could purchase a 4 seasons gift card but this would not be classified as travel since a third party processes the cards. Any options out there. If I book some flights I know I will come up short of the 137k and don't want to get less than 2 cents value per point. Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Leotis
...don't want to get less than 2 cents value per point. Thanks!
Unless something has changed Venture points have a fixed value of $0.01 each. Have you looked at the online rewards catalog?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:46 pm

Sorry. I meant one cent value. The on line catalogue gets you quite a bit less than 1 cent...
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:10 am

This is not retention related, but I intend to keep the card when it comes up for renewal (though I will ask for reduced fee). Worth $59 to me. I earn 7X at Trader Joe's until the end of the month with their current promo (2x regular spend plus 5x bonus points). The promo works on gift cards, and I am stocking up for the rest of the year. There are other promotions that are useful if you register for them on their website. And these points are very useful for travel expenses (airport parking, cabs) other than flights and lodging (I use UR and MR for those).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Leotis
Approaching a year since I got the cap one venture card and I plan on canceling before annual fee hits. I have about 137k points I need to use first. What is the best way to use all the points at full value. I thought I could purchase a 4 seasons gift card but this would not be classified as travel since a third party processes the cards. Any options out there. If I book some flights I know I will come up short of the 137k and don't want to get less than 2 cents value per point. Thanks!
Airline or hotel gift cards? I purchased Hyatt gift cards and was reimbursed at 2X. Refundable airline ticket in case your plans change? Good luck!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:08 am

Just got dinged with the annual fee. They will not refund it even if I switch to a no-fee card since I got a waiver last year. Boo, CapitalOne. Every other major issuer is great about refunding the fee if you call right after you get hit with it.

At this point I'm not going to take any chances and I will just convert to a free card and eat the $59. Not worth keeping for another year since the Fidelity Amex 2% Cash Back is better than the Venture in every way (except FX fees).

CapitalOne is a pretty awful issuer to deal with in general. They seem to have a flat-out no credit limit increase policy even with their highest-FICO customers, which makes no sense whatsoever. Good riddance.

Yes. I am bitter.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
my wife still had her card and last year got the fee waived. It is up for renewal now so she cancelled it. She did so by mail but C1 did not make that easy! She had to write in twice and send a copy of her DL and other id to get it done. Now no more C1. It was fun for that while though and all points went to good uses.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
This card is going to get axed from my wallet now. Back in February, the phone reps had told me my fee would not hit until March 31st. Well it hit March 15th, 2013. Online rep clarified that it will hit again on March 31st, 2014 so technically the phone rep was only off by 1+ year.

Online rep offered nothing to waive the fee, only to downgrade to the Venture One card at 1.25 mi/dollar earning. Spent $6300 last year, probaby $10K the year before with lots of international purchases in 2011. Fee was not waived in 2012.

I am planning to load up on the Trader Joe's gift cards and buy just enough Metro Cards to cash out all the points and close this card on April 1st to get my fee back.

The Capital One bank down the street from me loves me. They pitch me CC's all the time. I will just roll the dice and try again with them in the future. Meh to Capital One CC department.

Now I think I will give the world of Chase a try next as I need a decent Visa, especially a business Visa, in my wallet.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:23 pm

Hi Sent: I just checked the perk central website today to look at the Trader Joe's 7x bonus points offer. I'm pretty sure it specifically states in the offer details that you don't earn miles on gift card purchases. Did I miss something somewhere? I'm a newbie here and I'm not familiar with all the rules so maybe I missed an offer somewhere? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Chirpchirp
Hi Sent: I just checked the perk central website today to look at the Trader Joe's 7x bonus points offer. I'm pretty sure it specifically states in the offer details that you don't earn miles on gift card purchases. Did I miss something somewhere? I'm a newbie here and I'm not familiar with all the rules so maybe I missed an offer somewhere? Thanks for your help.
Make a $60 purchase of anything. Gets the 7X. Posts in 1-3 days too.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:50 pm

Thank You Jetsfan. I did see about the 7x points for purchases, but I was wondering specifically about 'Sent' buying gift cards as a purchase.

I think it states that gift cards don't count towards rewards?

I thought maybe I missed somewhere that you could buy gift cards and have them count towards points. I hope so - that would be great.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Chirpchirp
Thank You Jetsfan. I did see about the 7x points for purchases, but I was wondering specifically about 'Sent' buying gift cards as a purchase.

I think it states that gift cards don't count towards rewards?

I thought maybe I missed somewhere that you could buy gift cards and have them count towards points. I hope so - that would be great.
Not withstanding the T&C, I have purchased TJ gift cards and received 7X for that purchase. Just make sure the total is over $60. I suggest also buying a product with the gift card purchase. Hope this is clearer. Good luck!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:53 am

Question Capital One Venture: I'd like to close account

Hi. My annual (first year) $59 fee is due.

I don't use the card much. I've put most of my spending on the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

I have a couple of questions about closing my Capital One Venture card.

1) Will I lose the miles that I have in my account when I close the account?

2) If I will lose those miles that I have accumulated, is there anyplace to transfer them to so I can use them later? Or a strategy that will allow me to use the miles after the account is closed?

3) Do people churn this card? Time frame?

Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Hi. My annual (first year) $59 fee is due.

I don't use the card much. I've put most of my spending on the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

I have a couple of questions about closing my Capital One Venture card.

1) Will I lose the miles that I have in my account when I close the account?

2) If I will lose those miles that I have accumulated, is there anyplace to transfer them to so I can use them later? Or a strategy that will allow me to use the miles after the account is closed?

3) Do people churn this card? Time frame?

Thanks.
1) Yes
2) No place to transfer them to. You could convert to the no-annual fee version to keep your points intact.
3) Doubtful. Even if possible, low sign-up bonus and 3 credit inquiries (one for each bureau) are strong deterrents.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:37 pm

No retention offer made. Credited the $59 that appeared today after cancelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.