Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
When Venture came out there weren't many options for 2% cashback. If you're a very high spender the annual fee can wash out.
It's true, I did tons of research when I got mine in 2011, there wasn't anything else like it really on the market, unless you wanted specific rewards, like Airline specific or hotel specific. The credit card companies weren't doing a whole lot back then because of the recession.

V1 allows you to book a flight however you want, so you can find the cheapest deal and then "erase" it off your statement. It was and still is flexible in that way.

Now I want to get more than 2% back on my purchases, which is why I probably am going to go with a combination of Discover it, Chase Freedom, and Citi Cash. Might get the Sapphire Preferred to get the bonus and use it for statement credit at 1:1, which isn't great but hey a free $550 (if I can product change before AF, if not $550 - AF) is free money.

Will product change V1 to QuickSilver to keep other benefits of the Capital One card system.

PS - And most of my V1 rewards cash out is just used to buy gift cards to stores I normally shop at. Not as convenient as 2% cashback all the time, but it works.

Last edited by celticmoose; May 6, 2016 at 10:34 am
Old May 6, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by celticmoose
PS - And most of my V1 rewards cash out is just used to buy gift cards to stores I normally shop at. Not as convenient as 2% cashback all the time, but it works.
Not only is it not as convenient as 2%, it's not even close to 2%, right? I thought you only get 1/2 cent per "mile" for gift cards, so you're only getting 1% on your spend by cashing out that way.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:56 pm

No, it's 1:1 on gift cards. 20k miles is a $200 gift card.

If you want a statement credit, that's where it cuts if half.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by celticmoose
No, it's 1:1 on gift cards. 20k miles is a $200 gift card.

If you want a statement credit, that's where it cuts if half.
Ah, thanks for the correction. Arrival+ is a similar card and its gift card redemption is .5/1. Venture is not well documented and apparently I just assumed it was the same.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Downgrade Capital One Venture Card but still keep miles?

I currently have the Capital One Venture Card, but don't use it as often as I use my United MileagePlus Explorer card (so that I can get the PQD waiver from the card). I have quite a few Capital One miles, so I don't want to just close the account. Is there another Capital One account that I can open that has no annual fee that I could transfer the miles to in order to avoid having to keep paying the annual fee over and over without really using the card? I am getting close to reaching the PQD waiver requirement from the MileagePlus card, so after that, I plan to start using the Capital One card to pay for my travel expenses, which will then allow me to start using the miles from that account, but is there another (better) way to go about doing what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for the help,
Matt
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
, but is there another (better) way to go about doing what I'm trying to do?
Have you called Cap One and asked what if any options they may have for you?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
Have you called Cap One and asked what if any options they may have for you?
I haven't...I thought about it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. And I figured I'd see if anyone here had any other tricks/tips that they'd be able to help me out with!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Ugly breakups with Barclays/Citi/Chase/USB
Haven't seen a successful DP since April on Venture AF waiver. I tried this morning via chat, no offer. Don't particularly want to keep HUCAing as my account activity is pretty damning.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:34 pm

I was lucky to have AF waived today
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:39 pm

Finally got around to doing their online chat about a week ago to contact Capital One...the agent I "spoke" with had no problem with my request at all, and downgraded me from the Venture card to the VentureOne card. So, I was able to keep my miles, and the new card has no annual fee. Perfect! ^
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Agent put me on long hold to check with back office about my request for AF waiver($59). Finally got it after 10 minutes hold and was told this is a one time courtesy and fee will not be waived for 2017. Will see this again in 2017 :-)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Finally got around to doing their online chat about a week ago to contact Capital One...the agent I "spoke" with had no problem with my request at all, and downgraded me from the Venture card to the VentureOne card. So, I was able to keep my miles, and the new card has no annual fee. Perfect! ^
+1

Given the changes over the last five years, I'll be doing the same with my Venture and Spark cards, to VentureOne and Spark Select respectively. I really enjoyed the bonuses that were offered originally, but hardly every find myself using either card now.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:02 pm

Any one get anything good on retention for Spark 2% cash? Thank you
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:50 pm

For the last 3 years, my call for Venture AF has taken at most 5 minutes each time, each time with the fee happily refunded.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:39 pm

Wife requested waiver of fee and was rejected.
The use had been primarily for a large charitable donation (where their noHassles giving site gets the full amount to the charity and you can also earn miles, as well as keeping your money for a little longer.)

Probably the best strategy is for only one of us to have a Venture card and if desired donations are higher than the credit limit, to pay it off and then use again, or to make donations earlier in the year.

Does anyone know how easy churning is for these cards, since in that case it might pay to cancel with a view to applying later for the promotional bonus?

A refund was possible only within 30 days of fee being charged. Product exchanges were possible to Quicksilver or VentureOne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.