Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpaethCo
This needs additional details for business cards, but for personal cards it's important to point out that all Venture cards retain the full availability to transfer miles to partners.

Capital One product change link: https://verified.capitalone.com/auth...ProductUpgrade

Important Note: Capital One refers to every product change as an "upgrade" even if you are technically changing to a lower tier card. Only a handful of other products tend to be available (ie, Savor cards rarely show up as an "upgrade" option), and the cards you are presented by the upgrade link may vary over time. For the Venture and Venture X, the no annual fee VentureOne is often presented as a product change option and can be a valuable option to preserve a points balance.

The no annual fee VentureOne card only earns 1.25x points for purchases, but it retains all of the rest of the Venture card transfer powers.

For example, the no annual fee combo of SavorOne and VentureOne would earn 3x points on Dining/Grocery/Entertainment (SavorOne) and 1.25x points on everything else (VentureOne). With that combination you retain the 1:1 transfer ability with all of Capital One's transfer partners.
Print Wikipost

Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Called and have it waived but was told this is a one time offer only. The account will have to be changed to another card that has no annual fee next year or be closed.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Called and have it waived but was told this is a one time offer only. The account will have to be changed to another card that has no annual fee next year or be closed.
What's so great about this card? I've had nothing but a headache from Capital One and am searching for a reason not to use the miles and cancel.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:55 am

I received an annual fee waiver today on my Capital One Venture Visa for the second year in a row now. I was able to get it this time around via secure chat (always love it when I don't have to call in!). It was an easy and painless process (took a total of 5-10 mins). I do put some charges on it ($1) every month. Not sure if this helped. But I will keep it around as long as there is no annual fee!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:01 pm

Called to cancel Venture after fee posted and fee was credited immediately. This is the second year I have received the credit.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:26 pm

Fee waived

Used Secure Chat to request fee waiver. They offered to waive the fee for this year or to downgrade to Venture One. I took the fee waiver.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:27 pm

fee waived again this yr.
chatted and they said 'no offer available to waive fee', but did offer to downgrade the card. i said let me think abt it... gave it a few hrs, called the # on back of card, they said no offer available to waive but let me chat with supervisor...... came back and said you are waived.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:12 pm

PC the card to a QS then apply for another venture and get the $400 CB.
Once you get the $400 CB, PC to QS, merge new Qs to the old QS, apply again for a venture to get the $400.
wash, rinse, repeat.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:49 am

Requested fee waiver via chat and denied. Card opened last March. I closed it.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mmax1
Requested fee waiver via chat and denied. Card opened last March. I closed it.
Open another one, freeze experian b4 you do.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Approved again for refund of fee - this is 4th or 5th time. Each time, I have waited for the fee to post to the account and the bill to process. I've called and said that "I would like to request that the fee be waived".

I don't think this is up to the rep as it's been a pretty quick response from the rep that they "have that option available", and I always get the disclaimer that it is a one-time credit for the $59 annual fee and that the fee will be rebilled next year. I always thank the rep and tell them that I appreciate them doing this (even though I don't think it's in their discretion to decide). Annual spend is $30-40k, always paid in full.

As far as this card, I find this card (with no fee) to be very useful. It's 2% back and I never have an issue using the points to refund prior travel (and sometimes for gift cards). But more importantly, I find their customer service to be absolutely wonderful - reminiscent of what American Express was like 10 years ago. English speaking, US based representatives who understand my questions/requests on the very first try. Yes, I know much is scripted (in a past job I would review call center scripts occasionally). I maybe call Cap One once a year for some thing or another, and they have always taken care of whatever it was on the first call.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Annual fee posted online but not yet billed. Called, talked to an agent in Tampa and asked if "I was a good enough customer to waive the annual fee"? It took about 10 seconds and she waived the fee, and read the script about a one-time waiver. Been waived at every renewal since I got the card in 2011.
I, too am pleased with the service, the ease of setting up international travel notifications, using points to pay for travel (often the same item multiple times) and the 2% cashback.
Just looked back in the thread and see that I posted almost the same message last year about this time.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
First time I wasn't offered the fee waiver or credit and have used the card a lot over the years. Will be moving all spending I did on this card over to Arrival and closing Cap One. With so many cc options for cards earning 2% to 5% I simply have little need for a 2% travel rewards earning card which has this high of a fee (not as high as some cards, but higher than I deem worthy to be paid to keep the card). My FICO score is always 817 - 830.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:46 pm

I've loved my V1 for years, never even thought about getting the fee waived because I still come out way ahead, put $27k on there last year, which is 54k miles.

Rethinking my credit card strategy this year, probably going to get the Citi Cash 2%, maybe the DiscoverIT/Chase Freedom combo for rotating categories, and thew new Costco Citi Card (maybe).

Anyways long story short, I'd rather keep my V1 if I was't paying the annual fee, but just tried via chat and the only offer I was able to get was an "upgrade" to the 1.25, no bonus or retention offer. My fee came out in November.

Question is do I want until November and try it get it waived, or just assume it will not be waived and kickstart my Citi Cash Card now. Don't want another card if I don't have to.

Little irritated that I've been a customer since 2011, have slowly increased my limit and spending on the card, and they won't work with me.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by celticmoose
I've loved my V1 for years, never even thought about getting the fee waived because I still come out way ahead, put $27k on there last year, which is 54k miles.
"Miles" is a marketing term. What you got was $540 cash back that you can apply ONLY to travel expenses. If you spent $27k using Citi DC, you'd have $540 cash--right to your bank account. I just don't understand the appeal of these "miles" cards (Jennifer Garner aside). Why would anyone pay an annual fee for the privilege of having your cash back redemption options limited to travel?

Sorry for the rant, but I really am asking. What's the appeal (signup bonus aside) to those that like this card?
Old May 6, 2016, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Sorry for the rant, but I really am asking. What's the appeal (signup bonus aside) to those that like this card?
When Venture came out there weren't many options for 2% cashback. If you're a very high spender the annual fee can wash out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.