Security at YYZ (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security at YYZ (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC 25K
YYZ T1 USA Departures security screening today.
All normal, (slow)… but my bag got routed for secondary screen.

i was puzzled… but the “offending” article was a bit of a surprise:
”Do you have an iPad stand in here?”
Yup.

Bag dug through to find it… confirm… and off I went. 🤷‍♂️
Old Oct 30, 2023, 5:28 pm

Hello, my parents who do not speak English or French need to do a layover in YYZ. They are travelling from Milan to Mexico city (and back), so they are doing an international flight -> international flight layover.

Do they need to pass passport control, or fill any form that requires English? Their layover time is ~3h hours.

Thank you!
Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flyer1F1
Hello, my parents who do not speak English or French need to do a layover in YYZ. They are travelling from Milan to Mexico city (and back), so they are doing an international flight -> international flight layover.

Do they need to pass passport control, or fill any form that requires English? Their layover time is ~3h hours.

Thank you!
I would look into a VIP transfer service to help them. They will need to clear a cursory passport check at YYZ and go through the international transfer process, but the immigration officials are not easy to deal with and often downright rude especially if someone is unable to communicate, and the airport staff are next to useless helping to direct people to the right location. I would not leave things to chance especially if they are elderly. Would they benefit from wheelchair assistance? Also which airline are they flying?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:22 pm

Air Canada
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flyer1F1
Air Canada
Do they need wheelchair assistance? Air Canada is notorious for very poor handling of disabled passengers, usually dropping them off at various collection points and leaving people for 30-60-90 minutes or forgetting them altogether because they simply don't care. The airport is equally incompetent making sure there are enough wheelchairs and handlers to take care of transfers.
tentseller likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:05 am

Any recos for when to show up at YYZ for a domestic flight Saturday morning (7am)?

”They” say 2 hours. I don’t like to shave it close, but I thought 90 minutes seemed reasonable. I have NEXUS.

What about leaving YUL at 6pm?
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Carry-on only? 90 minutes is fine. Weekend evenings aren't busy for domestic flights. They may even close the priority security line and have everyone in one standard line.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Norexan
Carry-on only? 90 minutes is fine. Weekend evenings aren't busy for domestic flights. They may even close the priority security line and have everyone in one standard line.
Yup. Carry-on. Always carry-on.
Norexan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE
I have flown out of YYZ literally hundreds of times. But, strangely, I have never once flown out of the international terminal in the early morning. I have an 8 AM departure tomorrow and am flying in business class from T1. I'm assuming arriving two hours in advance will be tons of time. Does that sound reasonable to those who have done this more often?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I have flown out of YYZ literally hundreds of times. But, strangely, I have never once flown out of the international terminal in the early morning. I have an 8 AM departure tomorrow and am flying in business class from T1. I'm assuming arriving two hours in advance will be tons of time. Does that sound reasonable to those who have done this more often?
Yes, that'll be fine. Sunday morning isn't a busy time. You should consider getting Nexus if you fly that often. You can also pre-book your security timeslot.

YYZ doesn't have a specific "international terminal" though. You should know that! T1 & T3 both operate domestic, transborder and international flights.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Do you need to clear U.S. customs? If not then two hours will be more then enough time. When not flying to the U.S. my arrival to gate time in T1 international is no more than 30 minutes. It's not much longer if I'm going to the U.S. but I have Nexus.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Haven't flown from YYZ to U.S. since before Covid. Have a late-afternoon weekday flight on AA with a checked bag and Global Entry. How long should I arrive before the flight if I want to clear security and hopefully have time to visit a lounge for at least 30 minutes? Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by js1993
Haven't flown from YYZ to U.S. since before Covid. Have a late-afternoon weekday flight on AA with a checked bag and Global Entry. How long should I arrive before the flight if I want to clear security and hopefully have time to visit a lounge for at least 30 minutes? Thanks.
Probably 2 hours. You can use a machine to print your bag tag. Global entry gets you faster customs but only nexus gets you faster security.
js1993 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 9:50 am

DP on YYZ T1 transborder departure, weekday (not Friday) around 5pm. For both security and customs, Nexus took less than 10mins with 2-3 people in line; regular line (Canadian passport, no MPC) took 15mins with maybe a dozen or two of folks in queue.

While we didn't check bags, the AC kiosks and bag drop area were empty when I walked pass to get to the Nexus entry point.
js1993 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.