Wiki Posts
Search

Security at YYZ (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Security at YYZ (2022)

No security stationed at the end of the lanes, so you will just gett here and people will think you're simply cut6ring the regular line.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by islandcub1
No security stationed at the end of the lanes, so you will just gett here and people will think you're simply cut6ring the regular line.
I’m ok with that. It’s not like I will ever see these people again
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by 172pilot
I’m ok with that. It’s not like I will ever see these people again
Also, you're wearing a mask so are tough to identify when your photo shows up on Twitter.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I think people will realize that if you're approaching from a different, but unmanned, stantioned lane that you are coming from a priority lane.
Ive noticed this in the recent past and there were no issues.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Flew in to YYZ last night from LGA. Sat on the tarmac for 45 minute after landing while we waited for a Jazz EWR flight to vacate the gate and depart. After we got off we were held at the top of the stairs to customs for 10 minutes while it "cleared" and then were allowed down the escalators. Customs was a zoo but fortunately didn't have to wait too long with Nexus. I forgot YYZ didn't have sterile transit - having to exit and re-clear security is a pain. Both flights YYZ-LGA and LGA-YYZ were full - wonder if that was due to the long weekend or it's consistent across the board as "post-covid" summer travel ramps up?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
CASTA in YYZ has gotten objectively worse of late.

Nexus lane is full of customers (and AC employees) who still don't understand the liquid and gel rule.

My briefcase was pulled over. Waited 20 minutes for them to scan it and then just give it back to me

Give yourself extra time for YYZ security
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999

Nexus lane is full of customers (and AC employees) who still don't understand the liquid and gel rule.

My briefcase was pulled over. Waited 20 minutes for them to scan it and then just give it back to me

This has been my experience for the past 2 years or so...!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton

It’s not that. The CASTA agents I’ve dealt with in the past few months have been extremely rude. Accusatory tone, petty, and just very unfriendly. Even TSA was much better.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

Oh Ya, but I push back also. I had to wait for my laptop to be "screened" so two CATSA agents were holding the bins just chatting so I yelled across, so their supervisors can hear " hey less chatting more working" and wow was he unhappy to me, but what can he do. Sure he swapped the crap out of my laptop and he made me open it and look and I said, "look carefully as our CRA computers are very cleaned and advanced so we can audit better" he just looked at me and I was on my way.

I have always enjoyed messing with these guys. Some are great and I thank them, but most I do become more aggressive or a pain in the butt, but never enough to get into trouble, just not compliant to some of their made-up rules......Like the little girl in YYZ who said, she had to open my rolled coin and look at the coins and I said you roll them back up the way you found them or get your supervisor to roll them for you!

I never turn around for the wand as I always keep an eye on my stuff and when they start yelling instructions I just become deaf!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I don't know... they seem to be the usual status quo incompetent.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
YYZ Dom is equally as bad an hour ago (thankfully I was TB which was still painfully slow). Line wrapped around and was backed up almost to the TB security entrance, must have easily been 500-1000 people waiting to go through.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Flew in to YYZ last night from LGA. Sat on the tarmac for 45 minute after landing while we waited for a Jazz EWR flight to vacate the gate and depart. After we got off we were held at the top of the stairs to customs for 10 minutes while it "cleared" and then were allowed down the escalators. Customs was a zoo but fortunately didn't have to wait too long with Nexus. I forgot YYZ didn't have sterile transit - having to exit and re-clear security is a pain. Both flights YYZ-LGA and LGA-YYZ were full - wonder if that was due to the long weekend or it's consistent across the board as "post-covid" summer travel ramps up?
T1 AC/UA has sterile transit. T3 WestJet/AA/DL does not.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
T1 AC/UA has sterile transit. T3 WestJet/AA/DL does not.
Did that recently restart? Because when I went through over Easter I had to exit via the baggage hall and re-clear security.
Old May 3, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: AC SE
Toronto media outlets are all reporting on the chaos at the airport, mostly focused on domestic and international security at terminal 1 where apparently lineups have been huge and waits have been long, especially at peak times. Here's one story from CP24. The long and short is: arrive early.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Oh Ya, but I push back also. I had to wait for my laptop to be "screened" so two CATSA agents were holding the bins just chatting so I yelled across, so their supervisors can hear " hey less chatting more working" and wow was he unhappy to me, but what can he do. Sure he swapped the crap out of my laptop and he made me open it and look and I said, "look carefully as our CRA computers are very cleaned and advanced so we can audit better" he just looked at me and I was on my way.

I have always enjoyed messing with these guys. Some are great and I thank them, but most I do become more aggressive or a pain in the butt, but never enough to get into trouble, just not compliant to some of their made-up rules......Like the little girl in YYZ who said, she had to open my rolled coin and look at the coins and I said you roll them back up the way you found them or get your supervisor to roll them for you!

I never turn around for the wand as I always keep an eye on my stuff and when they start yelling instructions I just become deaf!
Part of the reason the security lines move slowly is travelers with an over-inflated opinion of their own importance who enjoy "messing with these guys."
hbyerly, zappy312 and mxqisit like this.

Last edited by Badenoch; May 3, 2022 at 5:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.