Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security at YYZ (2022)

Security at YYZ (2022)

Old May 17, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Pearson Priority Security Lane

Hi All

Travelling through YYZ in two weeks and I can't seem to find the answer to this question:

Is the Pearson Priority Security Lane in operation? The Amex one that gets you through faster. I'm in Terminal 1.

Also: Will my American Express Aeroplan Reserve card work for this line? My plat card used to work before Covid but somewhere along the line Amex switched me to this nice black metal card with a different name. It would be nice to know I still have that perk at YYZ.

Thanks
Jeff
Old May 18, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by JayArr
Hi All

Travelling through YYZ in two weeks and I can't seem to find the answer to this question:

Is the Pearson Priority Security Lane in operation? The Amex one that gets you through faster. I'm in Terminal 1.

Also: Will my American Express Aeroplan Reserve card work for this line? My plat card used to work before Covid but somewhere along the line Amex switched me to this nice black metal card with a different name. It would be nice to know I still have that perk at YYZ.

Thanks
Jeff
Yes, though it’s different now. This is from Amex’s Twitter: “Travelling out of Toronto Pearson? Access to the Priority Security Lane for select Amex cards at Toronto Pearson Airport has changed. Eligible Cardmembers, visit the new Amex Kiosk to receive single-use QR codes for the Priority Security eGates in Terminals 1 & 3. Terms apply.”
Old May 18, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: AC 35K
I'll give that a try. I just hope I don't have to wait in a line to get a QR code to avoid waiting in a line. LOL

Hey Amex - if you're monitoring - it would be nice if this QR code was supplied when we check in. It's not like AC doesn't know which card I carry - the flight is booked on it.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by JayArr
I'll give that a try. I just hope I don't have to wait in a line to get a QR code to avoid waiting in a line. LOL

Hey Amex - if you're monitoring - it would be nice if this QR code was supplied when we check in. It's not like AC doesn't know which card I carry - the flight is booked on it.
Conversely, AMEX knows which flight you're on and who's travelling, too. I've seen my PNR details and passenger names on my statement. Probably wouldn't trouble them too much to send me an e-mail the night before with the QR code in tow
Old May 18, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by frogoutofwater
Hi there,

I'm wondering if I will have access to the priority line at Pearson T1 tomorrow in connection with my 7:30 pm flight. I've received different answers at Pearson in the past few months, so I'm not sure.

No Nexus Card, but I'm flying AC Premium Economy, 35K status, with Amex Aeroplan Reserve Card. I think it's the Amex Card that gets me into the priority security line, but the last time I flew PE (10 days ago) I had to speak to an agent because the automated gate that screened my BP wouldn't let me through (but the agent did).

I will arrive extra-early just in case I'm stuck in the regular line, but hoping not to have to add that stress to what is likely to be a difficult day. I'm flying on an emergency basis because my stepmother is critically ill and I'm going to support my dad while MAID takes place.
Sorry about the circumstances, all the best to you and your family.

Yeah, you should have priority access everywhere. PE gets you into all AC priority lanes and your Amex will get you priority security. You'll just have to go to an Amex podium to get a "code" for priority security, which I think I saw at the escalator near AC priority check-in?
Old May 20, 2022, 8:25 am

What are the experiences going through the Nexus line for Transborder flights during the last couple of days? Any improvement?
Old May 22, 2022, 8:58 am

Any data points on what arriving to YYZ international tomorrow afternoon might be like? Staggered debording? Customs/luggage disasters? Last few times I've arrived has not been a problem but I've heard of people arriving slightly earlier/later having long waits.

Have Nexus, which has definitely saved me a few times.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Fidget
What are the experiences going through the Nexus line for Transborder flights during the last couple of days? Any improvement?
Saturday at 5am packed.

Nexus security and US customs took 40 minutes.

Flight left on time at 6:10 but AC flights were already showing delayed across the board.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: A3 *S
Urgh, seems like the Amex Kiosk is only open starting at 6am.

What about those of us whose flights are at like 7am and need to be through security and US customs well before the kiosk opens?

Is it possible to flash the platinum card at the security line like the old days before the kiosk is open? Anyone try?

Last edited by fizban; May 23, 2022 at 8:22 am Reason: formatting
Old May 25, 2022, 3:10 pm

Hi, is there really a "Family/Special Needs security line" as per https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures/security?

Thanks,

Rob
Old May 25, 2022, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Robyyz
Hi, is there really a "Family/Special Needs security line" as per https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures/security?
Definitely for families with young kids. They usually take the time of 4-5 people or more. The kids often think it's funny to run back and forth through the detector or start grabbing things out of the tray before it goes through the x-ray... all while the parents are trying to make sure everything is done. Same for some teens who can't seem to look away from the screen and are annoyed that they have to give up their iphone to go through the x-ray machine.

This is generally where it helps to show patience. If the people are trying, no issues. It's the people who don't really care (like the parents of the unruly child) and don't reign them in for the minute it takes to clear security that I have issues with.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Just a snapshot of my trip. YMMV.
Arrived at Pearson Term 1 from Vienna at approx 1.20pm on Mon 23rd May. We were informed that they would be using metering from the plane. Passengers with connections and business class were allowed to deplane, so I got to leave. Arrived at the customs/immig hall and there was not much of a line. No one ahead of us in Nexus kiosks. Printed our receipt, went down to the baggage hall and bag was already on the belt. Found some bags already offloaded off the belt. Picked up my two bags and informed other passengers that some of the bags were sitting on the floor at the back. Green sticker on my passport so left the airport. From plane to outside in less than 30 mins.
I will be travelling again this weekend and will provide another report.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:18 pm

I went through T3 (domestic) security a few days ago. I'd venture a guess that 80% of the bins that were scanned were diverted to the inspection side where there was a grand total of one person working. It was so backed up that no bins could get through to the clean side. Thankfully mine (eventually) breezed through without a problem. Had it been diverted I'd imagine that would have been another 30 minutes delay at least.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
We went through T1 domestic a couple of days ago mid-morning. Nexus line was closed at the time (clearly posted sign) and when I asked the person directing traffic if there was a premium or Business line they just laughed. Fortunately the whole process was quick - under 20 minutes, but heard a few complaints from people having to take out liquids, etc. unexpectedly "I have Nexus, Super Elite, yada-yada." Virtually every screening station was staffed, which expedited things somewhat, however the screeners were "meticulous", with almost everyone getting a secondary of some sort - wanding, bag swab or turn on electronics. If it had been busier I can see how things could slow down.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black
Is the CATSA app accurate?

Is this accurate? Does it accurately reflect the wait times? Planning a trip but scared of all the news stories about wait times. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.