Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by OFFlyer

One weekly flight dictates pure leisure - especially with those departure times. Can they profitable fill one flight a week on that ? I would be surprised.
For the leisure market the timing is not too unreasonable, leaving Friday after having a full work day, returning the following Sunday morning after a week's vacation. Would work for a lot.of people. For a long weekend, find a connection home via Arlanda or Copenhagen. Plus the Swedes and Danes connecting through BGO. I think they can make work in terms of load. Can still wonder a bit if it works in yield and profit, but that is general for their long haul operation. Time will tell.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Dec 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm Reason: correcting auto correct
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It is on check-in.dk as well. DY press conference at 2pm today in BGO.

One weekly flight dictates pure leisure - especially with those departure times. Can they profitable fill one flight a week on that ? I would be surprised.
With sea cruise traffic, filling up the plane in the summer should be a breeze, especially if it helps reduce the expense on hotel nights for such leisure passengers.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:21 am

Just learned it is summer only, so they should be able to sort-of fill up 20 some flight. Agreed. Where they can do it with a profit I doubt very much.

and I would not rely on DY to bring me to BGO in time for a cruise - given their frequent and lengthy delays on long-haul and no willingness what so ever to provide alternative options.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:43 am

Here we go againg - massice DY IC delays

5 7+ hours delays on Norwegian's C routes the past couple of days.
One case of 28 hours of delays

What would really infuriate me if I was one of these flight is Norwegians complete lack of willingness to rebook pax on alternate flights.

Added:
Norwegian has now cancelled their original FLL-CPH flight yesterday - and put in a new flight with new flight numers nd new scheduled departure and arrival times, that match that ofthe delayed flight.
So the flight is not delayed - it is on time!

What a crap airline

http://www.check-in.dk/newselement.c...3#.UrgSpf6A3Dc

Last edited by FT Guest xyzpdq; Dec 23, 2013 at 4:18 am
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:12 am

12/29 JFK-OSL cancelled, passengers rebooked for 1/1.
[Swedish only]: http://www.aftonbladet.se/resa/article18100909.ab
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
12/29 JFK-OSL cancelled, passengers rebooked for 1/1.
[Swedish only]: http://www.aftonbladet.se/resa/article18100909.ab
Itl makes me wonder, why the reliability of Norwegian's 787 is so low compared to other operators. Is it just that the other operators have spare aircrafts or do Norwegian have more technical issues?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:03 am

http://www.standby.dk/kaos-pa-norwegians-langruter/

Sorry Danish only.

I am puzzled by their many, frequent and long delays
- and worried about their inability to address the passengers properly in these situations.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.standby.dk/kaos-pa-norwegians-langruter/

Sorry Danish only.

I am puzzled by their many, frequent and long delays
- and worried about their inability to address the passengers properly in these situations.
I suspect that their bare minimum approach to the operations is a contributing factor. The push the utilisation to the max, the maintenance and the spare parts on hand to the minimum. Which is fine when they have the experience in the operations, but for the start up phase it seems to be a disaster. The Boeing Gold Care package seems to be insufficient, however other operators have gotten their fleets running smoothly. Maybe they should ask Lufthansa Technik to take over maintenance... Air Canada went for LHT.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I suspect that their bare minimum approach to the operations is a contributing factor. The push the utilisation to the max, the maintenance and the spare parts on hand to the minimum. Which is fine when they have the experience in the operations, but for the start up phase it seems to be a disaster. The Boeing Gold Care package seems to be insufficient, however other operators have gotten their fleets running smoothly. Maybe they should ask Lufthansa Technik to take over maintenance... Air Canada went for LHT.
Poor execution seems to be the factor - and then Norwegian has never had a strong point in customer service on the ground.

Well, I am for one not a potential customer for DYs long haul operations - despite using them almost weekly in Europe.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poor execution seems to be the factor - and then Norwegian has never had a strong point in customer service on the ground.

Well, I am for one not a potential customer for DYs long haul operations - despite using them almost weekly in Europe.
I am an unlikely customer of DY long haul, at least until they have a proven track record, and are willing to rebook to other carriers on irrops.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:22 pm

According to DY flight attendants speaking to Aftonbladet, DY's food is suppose to have a 6 month shelf life.
With some luck, you'll get worms in the food...
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article18114068.ab
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Snacky
... I don't expect to be delayed, I'm sure DY will be on top of things by Saturday
I wrote this (and more) about three months ago, but looking back on the last year, I guess I was terribly wrong about Norwegian's absolutely pitiful attempt at flying long haul. Most all aspects of their operation, not just the humongous regularity issues, have been far from satisfactory. I believe the first few months of this year will determine if they have a place in this business.

My three flights with them so far, have proved to be OK'ish (that's far from being professionaly executed in my book), with only an hour or so delays every time, but I still have one more flight booked with them in late february, so I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed real hard until then ...

Snacky
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Snacky
I wrote this (and more) about three months ago, but looking back on the last year, I guess I was terribly wrong about Norwegian's absolutely pitiful attempt at flying long haul. Most all aspects of their operation, not just the humongous regularity issues, have been far from satisfactory. I believe the first few months of this year will determine if they have a place in this business.

My three flights with them so far, have proved to be OK'ish (that's far from being professionaly executed in my book), with only an hour or so delays every time, but I still have one more flight booked with them in late february, so I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed real hard until then ...

Snacky
I wish you the best of luck. You seem to have had it so far - with only around 1 hour delay

Food for thought: How unhappy would each of us be if we for our three most recent IC trips with e.g. BA or SK have had a 1 hour delay?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
DYs CEO is scolding Boeing again:
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-...service=mobile

The Gold MRO package via Monarch is clearly not working....
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Food for thought: How unhappy would each of us be if we for our three most recent IC trips with e.g. BA or SK have had a 1 hour delay?
I would be annoyed. More about the frequency of the delays than the actual hour. 1 hour usually don't loose connections or destroy plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.