Wiki Posts
Search

MASSIVE Catering Changes.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

Thanks for the words of thanks. I will no doubt get a message soon from a particular BA manager on here trying to tell me that I am damaging BA by informing you all of this, however I feel it is worth the hassle...
You're not damaging BA by posting this info. What is damaging BA is degradation of services that BA managers seem to be introducing.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
You know... all the ARN flights that I have done, and trust me, I have done many, I never knew it was scheduled to be that long...! If that is the case, then assuming the 2H30+ mentioned is the benchmark, then all should be fine.

Regards,
That's because they factor in the 15 min sitting on the ground at LHR, and even so we usually end up arrving "5/10 minutes early"
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Thanks for the words of thanks. I will no doubt get a message soon from a particular BA manager on here trying to tell me that I am damaging BA by informing you all of this, however I feel it is worth the hassle...
Hardly ... this thread was started with the customer in mind, and since all of it is sadly true it would be somewhat fatuous of a BA manager to scold for you posting the truth!

If BA are going to quote positive Flyertalk poster comments in BA News as proof that they have the customer in mind, they have to be prepared to take the negative too ....
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I don't blame them for cutting back on shorthaul grub. Low fares and fancy lounges means something has to give. .

Hi,

I paid £180 for my last one way flight on BA and got birdseed only!

Regards

TBS

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by Roger
... which has been a good reason for flying BA until now.

Ah, well. I'll just have to get used to seat selection when booking and status earning miles on every flight ... This won't be a major change for me as I rarely fly TATL in distress class, but it will have an impact.

About the water ex-UK, WHSmith usually offer a 'free' 750 ml water with the Telegraph. Just make sure you buy it airside.
As I understand it, this change is for "short haul" (<4 hours). In the end, it's the paying customer that has the final word. If the Y-pax wants a lower ticket price then something has to give.

The golden age of aviation is gone, now it's adapt and improve. For a sub 4h trip I can't see that a meal is necessary. Those who want a nibble can buy something either before the trip or from in flight services.

It's important though to have a proper business class with drinks and a meal.

You know... all the ARN flights that I have done, and trust me, I have done many, I never knew it was scheduled to be that long...! If that is the case, then assuming the 2H30+ mentioned is the benchmark, then all should be fine.

Regards,
Schedule allows for sitting on ground, waiting for ATC clearance
IME (less ARN flights than you though!) actual flying time is around 2 hours if there is no stack for landing at LHR. Have regularly arrived on time / early at ARN despite late pushback/take-off
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
All this makes a mockery of BA comparison calculator with the lowcos
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I paid £180 for my last one way flight on BA and got birdseed only!

Regards

TBS
I know TBS. One has to look at the bigger picture - not nearly enough people are paying those sort of prices these days.
Ryanair do selll very expensive tickets to some desperate travellers as well.

Coming next: Drink vouchers in the lounges.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
The race to the bottom continues
The bottom is in sight. The race is nearly complete. So very sad.

Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
to be fair, yesterday was my first CW flight for 16 months - and it was plain to see how the costs were being saved. Champagne that is made by a champagne house owned by Bollinger!

Main meal was noticeably cheaper - and definitely nasty - at least there used to be half a chance the beef was edible. No longer chicken or beef - lamb or duck... My duck looked very inedible, but according to the FA I had made the best choice so goodness knows...

The afternoon tea service must have cost about £2.50 to make - the pudding had gone to be replaced by a cake that looked like it was 59p at Sayers. Sayers may be a Nothern reference - so here goes - look under products then cakes
http://www.sayersthebakers.co.uk/

CE sounds a joke nowadays - even a £59 upgrade is too much for it!

NGBTS.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:57 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
BA should be thankful to the dismal LCC airports in the UK. If those airports were nicer, BA might get a lot less business from me than they do now.
Quote of the year award.

This one's for you, Slasher!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
Finally! They'll stop those horrible packs of sandwiches that nobody eats on domestic flights (and that stink out the whole plane if people do eat them).

Let's hope there's a reflection in fare to support this.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver
The sad thing will be if this change is for good i.e. we don't go back once the economy returns to its former self.

I can see why BA are doing it .. but how much does 2 sandwiches and a breakaway really cost?!?

As a friend said tonight ... why not axe the alcohol instead on the domestics or the appalling tea!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Do BA charge for alcoholic drinks in ET?
They could start charging for them like QF do on some of their domestic routes.

Or, start offering catering options ('upgrade your catering for £xx' option online).

Then again, this would be very LCC-esq.

I just don't fancy the day when I end up being nearly late for a flight and I happen to be starving, and not having anything to eat on board either, although this is highly unlikely to happen.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Do BA charge for alcoholic drinks in ET?
No, we do not charge for alcohol in any cabin on any route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.