Wiki Posts
Search

MASSIVE Catering Changes.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by john_r06
why not axe the alcohol instead on the domestics or the appalling tea!
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Do BA charge for alcoholic drinks in ET?
They could start charging for them
The last thing they need is further ghastly ideas like these Actually, what the hell am I saying, it's clear they don't pay any attention to feedback anyway, so...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by aSWUplz
Finally! They'll stop those horrible packs of sandwiches that nobody eats on domestic flights (and that stink out the whole plane if people do eat them).

Let's hope there's a reflection in fare to support this.
I am not sure which Domestic flights you fly on... but the ones I operate on, people certainly do take and eat the sandwiches...

As for them stinking out the whole plane... I really am confused once again as to which flights you have been taking. I am not sure how a Chicken Salad Sandwich or even Mushroom Pate can stink out a plane...

As for a reflection in fare to support this... I highly doubt it.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I am not sure which Domestic flights you fly on... but the ones I operate on, people certainly do take and eat the sandwiches...

As for them stinking out the whole plane... I really am confused once again as to which flights you have been taking. I am not sure how a Chicken Salad Sandwich or even Mushroom Pate can stink out a plane...

As for a reflection in fare to support this... I highly doubt it.
Absolutely .. the sandwiches did and do go down fairly well. I think this has been said before that those of us that then have another hour or so travel from the airport often don't get in till late so the sandwiches do keep you going.

Even the coronation chicken don't cause any smell. Think someone has an over sensitive nose
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Club Europe Band 2 flights will now be provided with a smaller tray, removing the pudding and placing chocolates on the tray instead.
So that's why the F chocolates have gone - what a come down, relegated to CE.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Those who want a nibble can buy something either before the trip or from in flight services.
The problem is, they can't buy anything from in-flight services..
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Finally! They'll stop those horrible packs of sandwiches that nobody eats on domestic flights (and that stink out the whole plane if people do eat them).
Yeah. Genius You're bang on, especially since the alternative is so much better...I love it when people stink out the entire bloody plane with an unholy mix of Burger King, McDonald's, Sbarro's and Christ knows what other nasty stenches that are never meant to mix, much less so in a confined metal tube, because they know there's no food on board. C.f. my recent memories of Stateside travels Don't forget to chuck a good old Taco Bell in there too for extra nasal pleasure

Let's hope there's a reflection in fare to support this.
Ha. A reflection in BA's margins more like...and not necessarily a positive one when people realise there's no reason to fly BA instead of someone else, no reason to upsell to CE any more, and no differentiation at all (except in bad ways) from the skanky LCCs, etc.

A short-sighted move and a horrid - simply horrid - reflection of what flying has now become as everyone (even those able and very willing to pay more to avoid it) is insidiously funnelled onto the same distasteful lowest common denominator sh!theap as they find their meaingful and more pleasant choices are removed full stop.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
hmm, rather than being annoyed, I am very disappointed by this news It would appear that this may be a step too far in cost cutting measures by BA. Hardly a 'full service' airline? Surely a sandwich in UK domestic or the Scottish salad (yum) isn't too much to ask???!!! WT+ water….that must be a saving of um…2p per pax? Although I understand that pax are demanding lower ticket prices, every LHR-EDI/GLA I have been on recently has been full/75%, and I imagine there are still quite a few pax (like myself) flying on a J class/Business UK ticket. Surely the way to attract custom is low(ish) fares combined with great service?? As already hinted at, the question may quickly become "what's the point in flying BA?". Is there any mention of more substantial food being provided to EC Gold's or J class/Business UK on domestic routes?? Thanks for the update; something that BA should have admitted to us all instead of trying to convince us that they are better than the low cost carriers in terms of value for money…and if the free alcohol goes…will the last person to leave BA please turn out the lights?!

Last edited by EGW1; Jul 20, 2009 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:59 pm

Can't understand why T5 at LHR has an M&S Simply Food in Arrivals only

Why are they even bothering paying for 'Skybites' on domestic flights?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I wonder if WW weren't in charge of BA, the same thing would be happening?

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
A reflection in BA's margins more like...and not necessarily a positive one when people realise there's no reason to fly BA instead of someone else, no reason to upsell to CE any more, and no differentiation at all (except in bad ways) from the skanky LCCs, etc.

A short-sighted move and a horrid - simply horrid - reflection of what flying has now become as everyone (even those able and very willing to pay more to avoid it) is insidiously funnelled onto the same distasteful lowest common denominator sh!theap as they find their meaingful and more pleasant choices are removed full stop.
Indeed. Very lamentable. Being forced to go down-market due to the lack of non-down-market option is not where I want to be at this point in my life.

So far, the only occasion where BA lost out to an LCC or any other carrier for that matter (except for QF) was when I was trying to book an ET flight shortly before Christmas in 2007. BA wanted nearly £850 (one way) for ET. LCC was around €40. BA lost. I would have felt a bit daft spending £850 one way for ET one way. But all other times, BA won even when the cost was > x10.

However, if BA starts downgrading hugely, I would firstly look at their rival legacy carriers. If they are not a lot better, I may even consider LCC if the price differences are large enough (> x5) and put up with those dreadful LCC airports.

Originally Posted by alasdair_m
Can't understand why T5 at LHR has an M&S Simply Food in Arrivals only
I wish they had them airside, even if they just have a cut-down version without all the microwave meals.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:13 pm

I know the airline needs to save on money, but by getting rid of meal service and cutting down on them on long haul flights is really not the way to go.

I hate those water cups, as everyone has said, its one sip and all gone (Just like the morning OJ)

Come on BA, passengers like flying the airline and having a good FULL service, as we keep promoting ourselves as a Full service airline.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula
I'm not surprised. In the end this will be the same as in the U.S. nothing but soft drinks offered for free in Y. This will be the norm and not only BA will adjust to this.

Business class will still have free drinks and a meal but Y will have to pay for everything.

This has been the situation in the U.S. for several years and seems to be working ok.
In whose estimation?

This is only the latest cost-cut/fee-add scheme the U.S. carriers have come up with - and none of it has brought any of them back to reliable profits. (They haven't quite figured out how to outsource all of their employees yet, but I'm sure they're working feverishly away at it!)

The U.S. airlines are proof positive that cost-cutting your way to profitability is a myth - their business plans are hardly something BA would want to emulate.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
As it happens, I was sharing my concorde photos with someone today - I flew the week before it was killed.

There used to be an airline there......

Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by irmster
As it happens, I was sharing my concorde photos with someone today - I flew the week before it was killed.

There used to be an airline there......

...........which lost millions as well.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Thanks for the words of thanks. I will no doubt get a message soon from a particular BA manager on here trying to tell me that I am damaging BA by informing you all of this, however I feel it is worth the hassle...
Sometimes it's good to get the truth. For example, in the run up to T5, we were constantly reassured by BA staff that it would all go swimmingly, everything was on time and on schedule. Sadly, I knew that was complete and utter emmm rubbish, and it would take a minor miracle for T5 to open without any problems. But the managers continued to reassure us it would all be wonderful, even when some of us could post about what we were hearing which suggested the opposite. And not surprisingly, those of us who were seen as doom and gloom were proved to be correct.

If BA management had been able to manage expectations better, then the uproar around T5 might have been considerably less. Sadly, they refused to be honest, and it turned around and bit them on the butt.

I'd much rather know before boarding a domestic whether I'm going to get birdseed or something actually edible. I might not like the fact that I'm going to be fed birdseed - but I would rather know.

Is there any indication what is happening with the LCY flights, which have tended to be a rule unto themselves anyway?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:52 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Sounding more and more like BA Connect.

Next they'll drop short haul J class because nobody is using it (I wonder why?).

Then they'll start making noises about short haul losing too much money, and introduce BOB.

Followed shortly after by axing short-haul at LGW.

As for LHR? Who knows.

Cheers,
Rick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.