Search

MASSIVE Catering Changes.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Is Band 4 CE affected in any way? I'd be pretty annoyed if they reduced catering in any drastic manner on that route. Being 3+ hour flights, I would really like to see a decent level retained.
No, Band 4 flight catering remains unchanged... for the moment.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Low fares and fancy lounges means something has to give.
True, but fancy lounges are only available at BA's main hubs and many lounges at outposts are pretty poor. I don't mind not getting fed much on ex-LHR flights (partially because there are plenty of food places besides lounges), but it would be nicer to get fed to-LHR flights because a lot of lounges only have crisps and biscuits.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
At least I know BA will look after me if the flight gets cancelled unlike some lowcos.
That reminded me - I still have an unfinished business with BA abut not getting looked after properly after a flight cancellation. I must follow up on their lack of reply to my complaint.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Does anyone have a list of what the various cities and bands are?

It's no real surprise that there are to be some catering cutbacks bearing in mind the recent news. Although I rarely fly ET or WT I am disappointed to see that ET gets no real food after 10am on so many flights, why not just limit it to the shorter sub 1hr flights?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Are we losing the evening salads on Domestic Scotland?

Bad. How can they justify the J fare?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JOUY31
A smaller tray in CE between CDG and LHR ? How is that possible ?
Sorry... Me not being clear.

To expand on that one...

Band 2 Club Europe trays will be reduced in size, to bring them down to the same size as Band 1, i.e. Band 2 ZRH has full size tray currently, this will be made to a smaller tray, down to the same size as the Band 1 CDG etc...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
No, Band 4 flight catering remains unchanged... for the moment.
Thanks BBB, although 'for the moment' comment is somewhat alarming.

Could you let the powers at BA know that I don't mind if they get rid of the cheese from Band 4 CE though - they are almost never particularly nice so I don't eat them anyway.

In fact, they should reallocate the cheese to the 'cheese omelette sans cheese' breakfast they serve on that route.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Are we losing the evening salads on Domestic Scotland?

Bad. How can they justify the J fare?
They did not include a note saying that the Scottish Salad tray will remain, so I would take it as a yes, that they are going too.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
So, in summary no more food in shorthaul Y.

BAD BAD BAD BAD. BA - are you listening - do you now realise that there is ZERO product differentiation between yourself and the Lowcos? Oh, other than the Lowcos fly brand new, clean aircraft...to time?
Also, you can at least buy food on an LCC if you must

As for the water cup on WT... thank goodness I don't do WT but still, I want a cap on my water, thanks very much, I prefer not to have it in a cup that I would knock over unless I have a tray out all the time on a long haul flight.
It's a 150ml plastic cup that's broader than it is tall and covered with a foil lid. You wouldn't knock it over - it's like one big mouthful so when you open it, you drink it - all gone!

Speaking from a personal perspective, I suffer from dehydration very quickly (partly as I'm diabetic), and won't step onto a plane without at least one 750ml bottle of water (unless it's AMS, where the security is right at the gate and there's no way to buy water and get it into a sealed bag airside).
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
It's a 150ml plastic cup that's broader than it is tall and covered with a foil lid. You wouldn't knock it over - it's like one big mouthful so when you open it, you drink it - all gone!
Oh, those attack foil top cups. and I guess you won't be too popular with the crew if you keep asking for more?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks BBB, although 'for the moment' comment is somewhat alarming.

Could you let the powers at BA know that I don't mind if they get rid of the cheese from Band 4 CE though - they are almost never particularly nice so I don't eat them anyway.
I do not wish, by any means to alarm any one with posting this information, and by no means the comment regarding the "for the moment" was meant in that way. I just feel that the company is cutting back way way too much, and it is risking sending away customers to the LoCo carriers over such small things.

I am sure that non of this would be communicated to passengers till they are onboard and we wheel out the pathetic offering, by which time it is too late to do anything about it. I am dreading this coming in. The service is going to be be awful to deliver, and I can only imagine the on the spot feedback that will be offered by passengers...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by phillipas
Given that the current offering consists of what might best be termed as 'half a butty' I presuming the 'enhancement' will be birdseed then. Plus (making its return) 'something sweet, something shite' in the Club Kitchen.
I was wondering the same ? How much less can the second CW meal be ?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I just feel that the company is cutting back way way too much, and it is risking sending away customers to the LoCo carriers over such small things.
While I wouldn't defect to an LCC for I have a LTN phobia (along with STN phobia and 'certain parts of LGW' phobia), I would consider defecting to rival carriers if BA degrade their services too much.

Thank you for keeping us informed BBB by the way, it's much appreciated.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Oh, those attack foil top cups.
Tell me about it. I seriously can't open one of those things without spilling it. Clumsy, but true.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
Oh great. The only flights I do fit into the above affected categories. I won't make any drastic statements about jumping ship, since I'll be able to munch away in the lounges anyway until august/september 2011 even if I were get relegated to Y-only in a few weeks time. But if I was statusless and not flying CE, I would be giving consideration to the german option.

I'm also curious as to which cities are 3A and which are 3B, specifically which one ARN falls into...

Thanks for the info BBB, it's much appreciated.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:38 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Well first of all a huge thank you to BingBongBoy for filling us all in with this information.

It is up to us all, especially the Gold (and Premier??) cardholders among us to persistantly complain to British Airways until they give us even maybe a wrap on shorthaul.

You may remember I complained when they shortened the salad hours of service and got a standard response, well we shall need to get this message ringing in WWs ears. THIS IS NOT ON!!!!

Regards,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.