Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MASSIVE Catering Changes.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
While I wouldn't defect to an LCC for I have a LTN phobia (along with STN phobia and 'certain parts of LGW' phobia)
Shellsuit allergy?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

World Traveller tuck boxes will be removed on flights less than 10 hours. The small bottle of water on the WT tray will be removed and replaced with a water cup-let.

Not good news at all.
So if I understand this correctly, on a LHR - YYZ (approx 7.5 hours) I would get fed in the first 90 minutes and then for the next 6 odd hours - NOTHING........to eat anway.

All of a sudden AC and their sandwich pockets look tasty again!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I'm not surprised. In the end this will be the same as in the U.S. nothing but soft drinks offered for free in Y. This will be the norm and not only BA will adjust to this.

Business class will still have free drinks and a meal but Y will have to pay for everything.

This has been the situation in the U.S. for several years and seems to be working ok.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Echo J
I'm also curious as to which cities are 3A and which are 3B, specifically which one ARN falls into...
I am afraid I do not have a definitive list of what is being classed as 3A and 3B, so can not say...

They used an example of AGP and FCO being 3B, i.e. scheduled at 2H30 and over, so I would think that ARN will fall into 3A with the reduced catering offering.

Thanks for the words of thanks. I will no doubt get a message soon from a particular BA manager on here trying to tell me that I am damaging BA by informing you all of this, however I feel it is worth the hassle...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
A big to all of it. However, picking up one the cuplet replacing the water bottle in WT - currently, can WT pax request as many water bottles as they like? That cuplet (presuming it's the same as the one in CE Band 1 dinner) is not enough to quench the thirst of a worm.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
Shellsuit allergy?
It's those airports with queues, crowds and not much facilities. I don't take much notice of real life human beings around me (although I don't like crowded places).

If you think LHR T5 security queue is bad, try LTN in the morning. A few experiences of that was enough to put me off going through the place forever.

BA should be thankful to the dismal LCC airports in the UK. If those airports were nicer, BA might get a lot less business from me than they do now.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Railroad flyer
So if I understand this correctly, on a LHR - YYZ (approx 7.5 hours) I would get fed in the first 90 minutes and then for the next 6 odd hours - NOTHING........to eat anway.

All of a sudden AC and their sandwich pockets look tasty again!
Hi RF,

No, not quite. You will still be offered the second service, which I think is the small Deli Box service, with the sandwich and bit of cake or fruit or something. It is the mid-flight snack boxes that are loaded in the galley, with chocolate, crisps, mini muffins and the like that are there to help yourself. Like "Club Kitchen"... but more like "World Traveller Cardboard Box"...

Regards,
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
A big to all of it. However, picking up one the cuplet replacing the water bottle in WT - currently, can WT pax request as many water bottles as they like? That cuplet (presuming it's the same as the one in CE Band 1 dinner) is not enough to quench the thirst of a worm.
Hi Genius,

Yes, the same as on the CE tray.

In WT, there is a small bottle of water loaded on each main meal tray, and that is what is being replaced. Passengers are not able to request more of them as they are loaded one per tray only. If there are trays left, then the crew may be able to supply them from there, but they are not bulk loaded to be able to hand them out.

Regards,
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
I am afraid I do not have a definitive list of what is being classed as 3A and 3B, so can not say...

They used an example of AGP and FCO being 3B, i.e. scheduled at 2H30 and over, so I would think that ARN will fall into 3A with the reduced catering offering.

Thanks for the words of thanks. I will no doubt get a message soon from a particular BA manager on here trying to tell me that I am damaging BA by informing you all of this, however I feel it is worth the hassle...
My upcoming ARN-LHR is scheduled for 2h40, LHR-ARN 2h35, I'm hoping that means 3B. Well, that's only half-true, I'm hoping to stay in CE.

On other notes, I think it's time to upgrade the value calculator...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Genius1
That cuplet (presuming it's the same as the one in CE Band 1 dinner) is not enough to quench the thirst of a worm.
You know, I always thought that was merely a mouthwash to cleanse the palette of the lounge champagne before hitting the CE offering
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Lobengula
In the end this will be the same as in the U.S. nothing but soft drinks offered for free in Y ... This has been the situation in the U.S. for several years and seems to be working ok.
... which has been a good reason for flying BA until now.

Ah, well. I'll just have to get used to seat selection when booking and status earning miles on every flight ... This won't be a major change for me as I rarely fly TATL in distress class, but it will have an impact.

About the water ex-UK, WHSmith usually offer a 'free' 750 ml water with the Telegraph. Just make sure you buy it airside.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:57 pm

The race to the bottom continues. I'd love someone from BA to try and justify the price differential on a non-flexible ticket between Y and J these days. I'm beginning to struggle to see the point.

BingBongBoy - thanks for the headsup - definitely of value, and I think that a volume of feedback to BA is probably the only chance we have of making BA see sense. I know things are tough for BA right now, but this isn't the way to save cash.

Lest anyone be tempted to get personal, a quick reminder that PM's are covered by Flyertalk's Terms of Service....
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:59 pm
No5

It's right as BingBingBoy says.

There will still be two services and the second service is usually a box (depending on the destination) and served some hour and a half before landing.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Tell him to go and eat his birdseed !
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Echo J
My upcoming ARN-LHR is scheduled for 2h40, LHR-ARN 2h35, I'm hoping that means 3B. Well, that's only half-true, I'm hoping to stay in CE.
You know... all the ARN flights that I have done, and trust me, I have done many, I never knew it was scheduled to be that long...! If that is the case, then assuming the 2H30+ mentioned is the benchmark, then all should be fine.

Regards,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.