MASSIVE Catering Changes.

Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Thumbs down MASSIVE Catering Changes.

I will not copy and paste the internal communication, as that would be wrong, but I think you all need to know...

August will see some massive changes to the catering, mainly effecting the Short Haul operation, but also with some changes to Long Haul offerings.

On Short Haul, after the breakfast service time, that finishes at 10:00AM, the catering on all Domestic, Band 1, 2 and 3A flights will be reduced to biscuits and skybites. From my understanding of the communication, there will be no more sandwich packs offered at lunch and dinner time.
They are also going to review the contents of the alcohol bars, so you may see some drinks being removed.

There are some Band 3, which they have labeled as Band 3B, which will still get the sandwich boxes, as they state that the longer flights still need to have more catering.

Club Europe Band 2 flights will now be provided with a smaller tray, removing the pudding and placing chocolates on the tray instead.

Club World will have a reduced second meal service on flights less than 10 hours, but an "enhanced" club kitchen, whatever that will entail.

World Traveller tuck boxes will be removed on flights less than 10 hours. The small bottle of water on the WT tray will be removed and replaced with a water cup-let.

Not good news at all.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
So much for being a full service airline in short-haul

And dehydrating the longhaul Y passengers even more?!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
what a surprise, we should all have seen this coming.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:40 pm

At least the free booze remains. ^
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Oh yuck.

Not a good thing indeed.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
So, in summary no more food in shorthaul Y.

BAD BAD BAD BAD. BA - are you listening - do you now realise that there is ZERO product differentiation between yourself and the Lowcos? Oh, other than the Lowcos fly brand new, clean aircraft...to time?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
And they are cheaper.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
A smaller tray in CE between CDG and LHR ? How is that possible ?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Club World will have a reduced second meal service on flights less than 10 hours, but an "enhanced" club kitchen, whatever that will entail.
On the ACC route, there isn't a huge amount, it's either roasted vegetables or a couple of sandwiches and a bakewell tart. How much less?!

World Traveller tuck boxes will be removed on flights less than 10 hours. The small bottle of water on the WT tray will be removed and replaced with a water cup-let.
Water cup-let is back to the old days? isn't it?

Not good news at all.
Agreed, many thanks to bringing it to our attention
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
On Short Haul, after the breakfast service time, that finishes at 10:00AM, the catering on all Domestic, Band 1, 2 and 3A flights will be reduced to biscuits and skybites. From my understanding of the communication, there will be no more sandwich packs offered at lunch and dinner time.
that's pretty poor. Oh well, I have to go to Plane Food or Itsu to pick up food for short flights out of LHR then. Pity they can't offer optional extra food, considering that there's hardly anything to buy to take on board at CDG T2F etc.

Is Band 4 CE affected in any way? I'd be pretty annoyed if they reduced catering in any drastic manner on that route. Being 3+ hour flights, I would really like to see a decent level retained.

As for the water cup on WT... thank goodness I don't do WT but still, I want a cap on my water, thanks very much, I prefer not to have it in a cup that I would knock over unless I have a tray out all the time on a long haul flight. (I guess this will mean I'd buy a bottle of water at the airport if I were flying WT.)

It's not that I'd starve if I don't get fed on those flights. But I do feel that it's going in a wrong direction - semi-LCC-isation of BA through over-aggressive cost-cutting attempts does not sit well with me. I choose to pay extra fly BA to avoid LCCs, if it turns into something similar to LCCs, what's the point in paying extra? If they want to become an LCC, they should have kept Go.

Next they'll be charging for exit row seats (like QF started doing, eww).
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:00 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Really a very poor show, and BA know how much customers have appreciated the additional offerings on the second CW service (starting with the "Cornish pastries" ).

Next step of course will be BOB, no doubt "due to customer feedback requesting additional meal options in shorthaul Traveller". But oh wait, at least you can head to Club Europe for something substantial to eat and a bit more space. Oh wait, no you can't now can you.

As warmly welcomed as Beckham's return to LA.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:01 pm
No5

It's a real disgrace and our service is really going down the drain. Look at the changes in First and Club and what the feedback has been like (fortunately I'm senior enough to always work in the back). There's also a rumour (?) that the pretzels will be removed.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by JOUY31
A smaller tray in CE between CDG and LHR ? How is that possible ?
My rabbit's delight incident occurred in CE between CDG and LHR. I wonder how they can reduce that? Newborn rabbit's delight, served on a petri dish?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:02 pm

Given that the current offering consists of what might best be termed as 'half a butty' I presuming the 'enhancement' will be birdseed then. Plus (making its return) 'something sweet, something shite' in the Club Kitchen.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:18 pm

I don't blame them for cutting back on shorthaul grub. Low fares and fancy lounges means something has to give. At least I know BA will look after me if the flight gets cancelled unlike some lowcos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.