Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
If you see any new ex-UK sales please update here.
Print Wikipost

Current Fare Sales [ex UK]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I've been searching around for flights to the US and came across this.

It seems a bit odd that two separate AA flights have an identical flight number. Is that normal?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi headingwest,

I was pricing flights from MAD to SFO for March and some good fares are coming out ( c£1500 return in Business with AA/BA/IB)

There is an AA flight ( 69 IIRC ) MAD-MIA then SFO ( change of aircraft in MIA)

The same flight number for 2 destinations has been common in the US for a while but have not seen it internationally until now.

Would it be the case that if we booked flight 69 we would only get 1 set of tier points ( for effectively MAD-SFO rather than MAD-MIA and MIA-SFO) and the MAD -SFO mileage rather than the separate mileage?

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by headingwest
I've been searching around for flights to the US and came across this.

It seems a bit odd that two separate AA flights have an identical flight number. Is that normal?
Flight with a plane change. I was once on a UA flight that kept the same number from FRA to AKL while stopping at IAD, LAX, and HNL. I boarded at HNL. UA also had a 'Direct' flight from ZRH to SFO with a plane change at IAD.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Thanks guys.

I'm actually looking for a cheap booking when I visit my mother next year, basically lots of flights to earn maximum Avios. Currently up to 11 flights for £500! But if this is a flight with a plane change, then maybe it only earns one set of Tier Points/Avios. Not so sure...

BTS-BRU
BRU-LHR
LHR-MIA
MIA-LAS

LAS-PHX
PHX-DFW
VPS-DFW
DFW-MIA
MIA-LHR
LHR-BRU
BRU-BTS

Last edited by headingwest; Dec 14, 2014 at 4:22 am Reason: correction of segment code
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mindgraph
Also hoping the isn't THE December sale. Mind you can't complain with the recent discounted club fares to LAX in recent sale. Might be worth holding a good flight if you see it - in case no more club seats trickle in.
Surely this IS (sadly) the Xmas sale as you can book until Jan 27th…

… or is it possible there will be more added to the sale later in the month or NY?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Thanks guys.

I'm actually looking for a cheap booking when I visit my mother next year, basically lots of flights to earn maximum Avios. Currently up to 11 flights for £500! But if this is a flight with a plane change, then maybe it only earns one set of Tier Points/Avios. Not so sure...

BTS-BRU
BRU-LHR
LHR-MIA
MIA-LAX

LAX-PHX
PHX-DFW
VPS-DFW
DFW-MIA
MIA-LHR
LHR-BRU
BRU-BTS
I think it varies by airline, but I understand in many cases the credit will indeed look through the stop, and consider just the origin and destination.

Interesting that you are starting /ending in BTS. I have been there a few times on business over the past few months, but flew to/from VIE. My local colleagues are quite excited about the new HG services. It could just be nationalist pride more than practicality, however.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by chalf
I think it varies by airline, but I understand in many cases the credit will indeed look through the stop, and consider just the origin and destination.

Interesting that you are starting /ending in BTS. I have been there a few times on business over the past few months, but flew to/from VIE. My local colleagues are quite excited about the new HG services. It could just be nationalist pride more than practicality, however.
Thanks chalf. I live in Bratislava, and the prices that I've found so far seem lower from BTS than from VIE, so I'm sure lots of Slovaks will change travelling plans. It's good to see oneworld finally arrive!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes this is normal.

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
… or is it possible there will be more added to the sale later in the month or NY?
Yes this is widely expected because of the circumstances.

But if this is a flight with a plane change, then maybe it only earns one set of Tier Points/Avios. Not so sure...
The usual rule is that if you get a new boarding pass, it counts as two flights. If you use the same boarding pass to go straight through, it will count as one.

Because of the change of aircraft, you will inevitably get a new boarding pass.

However I would not rely on this.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:40 pm

Thanks Calchas

So it's just a case of finding out on the day. Although the price suggests that it's classed as one flight.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Well that has to be the worst sale in terms of CW/F fares I have seen for a while- am I missing a sweet spot somewhere?

OTOH, lots of decent ex-DUB CW fares for Easter and summer holidays next year.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Calchas

I agree especially as in this instance there will be need to clear Immigration and go through security again and the seat assignment almost certainly won't be the same. I see it as highly unlikely that a single BP would suffice then.

For many years I used to fly MAN-BOS-MCO which was a similar situation in that the 2 legs had the same AA flight number but I don't recall an instance where only 1 BP was issued. I confess to being a little cynical about what AA do here because the timetable misleadingly shows that AA operate routes like this as a single flight. In the instance I cite above, the departure board at the MAN gate always showed "Orlando" as the destination but it was actually going to BOS of course.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calchas
The usual rule is that if you get a new boarding pass, it counts as two flights. If you use the same boarding pass to go straight through, it will count as one.

That's correct for AA and for this service given AA prime codes. For US Airways not necessarily so, even if there is European to USA1 to USA2 with different aircraft swapped in the middle. Moreover US has some "tramp ship" services which wander around in obscure ways (there used to be one with 4 stops on it). These typically only get 1 credit, in line with their own frequent flyer programme if done on one day under one US flight code. Not sure about AA "codeshare" services operated by US, but hopefully this is just a temporary deviation anyway.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Apologies if this is a dumb question but is there a similar thread to this for ex-EU sales?
They usually get mentioned here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...dont-know.html
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I agree especially as in this instance there will be need to clear Immigration and go through security again and the seat assignment almost certainly won't be the same. I see it as highly unlikely that a single BP would suffice then.

For many years I used to fly MAN-BOS-MCO which was a similar situation in that the 2 legs had the same AA flight number but I don't recall an instance where only 1 BP was issued. I confess to being a little cynical about what AA do here because the timetable misleadingly shows that AA operate routes like this as a single flight. In the instance I cite above, the departure board at the MAN gate always showed "Orlando" as the destination but it was actually going to BOS of course.
Same situation with CDG-JFK-LAS. IIRC AA 45 & 44
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Airline pricing and yield management is so dynamic that I always view the concept of a "sale" as more marketing than reality. Except where there are truly special offers, such as the GBP1,000 business class or QR 2-for-1, all that the airline is doing is adding extra availability in lower fare buckets that might otherwise have been sold out. That said, if the airline wishes to advertise that they have added extra availability, then so much the better for the customers. The airline will also only do this when bookings are lower than they might desire--thus, there is no guarantee of the 'discounted' fares being available on the flights one actually wants, as compared to less desorable times/routings (just as in a ship the preferred models/sizes/colors will inevitably sell out quickly).

As others have noted, if one finds a fare that one believes to be an appropriate price, one should just buy it, and not wait for a "sale".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.