Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
If you see any new ex-UK sales please update here.
Print Wikipost

Current Fare Sales [ex UK]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you want to start in Ireland, then it's hardly surprising that you won't find anything in an ex-UK sale.

It was no bother, anyway. If you can be bothered to subscribe to EF, you will be able to (a) see all that in about two minutes; and (b) cease having to guess whether or not there is a sale on for your country.
Just to add there was a very good J sale exDUB (I7SALE) about a month or two ago to the US - so around £1k to the East Coast, £1.2k to West Coast, and around £1.4k to HNL. So DUB does have some good sales, but obviously this current one being an exUK sale would not probably give sale prices when originating from DUB.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:30 am

I need to book WT+ flights to NYC. Last week they were £1068, this week they're £816. To me, that's a sale and a result........
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by bja200
I need to book WT+ flights to NYC. Last week they were £1068, this week they're £816. To me, that's a sale and a result........
I jumped in when I mistakenly thought there was a CW sale on. Absolutely good WT and WT+ value out there.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Not everyone wants to spend $5-$10 per month, of course. And there are some nice helpful people on FT who will assist when the occasional extraordinary need arises
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is £700 off the "everyday" non-sale fare to BOM not good enough for you?

Fares if ticketed on 10 December:-
Code:
Departing LON on 16/12/14 for BOM
Returning on 16/12/14
Ticketing on 10/12/14
Flying BA  
Purchasing at LON
Viewing in currency GBP
Seaching in Business cabin 
Show Fares for All Travel Dates

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type   Fare           Cabin  Effective  Expiration  Min/Max  Advanced
                     Class                                      Date       Date        Stay     Purchase Req
IAPGB       BA       I        Round-Trip  1696.00 (GBP)  B                             SU / 12M 14
R3BA        BA       R        Round-Trip  3023.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 07
D2BA        BA       D        Round-Trip  3888.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 03
C2BA        BA       C        Round-Trip  4467.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 
C2UP1       BA       C        Round-Trip  4467.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 
C2UP2       BA       C        Round-Trip  4467.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 
CIF         YY       C        Round-Trip  4853.00 (GBP)  B                                      
J1UP1       BA       J        Round-Trip  5333.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 
J1UP2       BA       J        Round-Trip  5333.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 
J2BA        BA       J        Round-Trip  5333.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 
J1RT        BA       J        Round-Trip  7279.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M
Fares if ticketed today, sale fare bolded, £687 less than the lowest I class fare on 10 December:-
Code:
Departing LON on 16/12/14 for BOM
Returning on 16/12/14
Flying BA  
Purchasing at LON
Viewing in currency GBP
Seaching in Business cabin 
Show Fares for All Travel Dates

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type   Fare           Cabin  Effective  Expiration  Min/Max  Advanced
                     Class                                      Date       Date        Stay     Purchase Req
IAP9UK      BA       I        Round-Trip  1009.00 (GBP)  B                             SU / 12M 28
IAPGB       BA       I        Round-Trip  1696.00 (GBP)  B                             SU / 12M 14
R3BA        BA       R        Round-Trip  3023.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 07
D2BA        BA       D        Round-Trip  3888.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 03
C2BA        BA       C        Round-Trip  4467.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 
CIF         YY       C        Round-Trip  4853.00 (GBP)  B                                      
J2BA        BA       J        Round-Trip  5333.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M 
J1RT        BA       J        Round-Trip  7279.00 (GBP)  B                             -- / 12M
That would be a great fare...if I could find it. According to the cheapest fare planner, nothing to BOM for less than £1529 between now and next December ???
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by bja200
That's £50 MORE than BA were charging in the end-of-summer sale.

How does BA justify prices being more than in their last sale, especially as the cost of fuel is plummeting?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wb1969
How does BA justify prices being more than in their last sale, especially as the cost of fuel is plummeting?
Surely a sale is a reduction in the normal price...it doesn't necessarily have to be cheaper than previous sales.

Maybe a lot of people are regretting not buying in previous sales, but that's life. If you see a good price, buy it!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
That would be a great fare...if I could find it. According to the cheapest fare planner, nothing to BOM for less than £1529 between now and next December ???
The fares listed are the published base fares, you need to add taxes/fees/charges so £1529 sounds right. The non-sale fare should be about £687 more than that.

A brief course on simple economic theory should provide the info on why BA hasn't dropped the fare price simply because one of their costs (fuel) has decreased. BA is a commercial company trying to maximise profit.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by headingwest
Surely a sale is a reduction in the normal price...it doesn't necessarily have to be cheaper than previous sales.

Maybe a lot of people are regretting not buying in previous sales, but that's life. If you see a good price, buy it!
And there you highlight one of BAFT's fundamental truths!

Whether the Avios are worth 2p or £7.98, it's the hole in the bank account that really matters.
"Can I afford this? To do what I want?" If "Yes", click "Proceed:
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by nux
The fares listed are the published base fares, you need to add taxes/fees/charges so £1529 sounds right. The non-sale fare should be about £687 more than that.

A brief course on simple economic theory should provide the info on why BA hasn't dropped the fare price simply because one of their costs (fuel) has decreased. BA is a commercial company trying to maximise profit.
^^
I simply can't get my head around people taking umbrage at BA for having the audacity to set their prices (both sale and otherwise) at a level that doesn't suit that individual. Why should they? Why should prices in this sale be the same or lower than last sale? It's their company, they can set fares at whatever level they see fit to best serve their business interests. It's not a public service. And as many people have commented, if an individual doesn't think a sale price is good enough, don't pay it........
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Where do you get those BOM £1,009 fares? The lowest I can only seem to find is £1500 for return CW in any month next year. There is some great WT+ sale prices and lots of UUA availability so that's an option, but would prefer to buy CW and UUA to F!

EDIT: Just spotted nux's post about the tax needing to be added on!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon

BA don't have to justify anything to you, I'm afraid. They only have to persuade enough people to buy the seats at that fare.

For much of 2015, at least, BA are likely to be paying a pre-arranged price for their fuel as they hedge their fuel expenditure to avoid problems with sudden price swings. So they aren't paying the low price you might pay on the spot market for fuel today. See here.

Airlines need to make operating profit most of the time, because airline operations requires a lot of long term capital expenditure and the airline business is highly cyclic. Aircraft are not cheap and when there is an economic downturn, airlines lose a lot of money. If they don't make a good operating profit when they can, they go bust (and there's no "Chapter 11" safety net in the UK or in Spain).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:05 am

As it finally looks as though everything exUK that should be loaded is loaded, including the laggardly Club and First fares, I've updated the blog and also (where necessary) amended the WT and WTP listings too.

Quite a number of the latter have gone in down in price since last week; some by £10 but some by quite a significant amount. Tokyo has finally had its £400 lopped-off WTP fares at the most extreme end.

The listings should - notwithstanding the above and 100% valid comments about airline pricing - now be an accurate benchmark for future comparisons.

I'd also mention, in that regard, that every sale has different travel periods, so a completely like-for-like analysis of variation is impossible. Sale fares to the Caribbean are probably the most variable, as it goes.

I keep the archive more to allow a quick check against non-sale fares and whether 'likely' future savings might be big enough to make hanging on for the next sale a worthwhile risk.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:18 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Thanks to the Sale fares, managed to bag what I think is a bargain, although I had to book via phone as I wanted to use Avios and combine with a hotel as a BA holidays booking to take advantage of the deposit feature that BA holidays offer.

The flight prices were as follows

GLA-LHR-HND in WT+ £925 return
Upgrade to CW - 30,000 Avios plus an additional £93 in tax.
Total flight price £1019
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by McG
Thanks to the Sale fares, managed to bag what I think is a bargain, although I had to book via phone as I wanted to use Avios and combine with a hotel as a BA holidays booking to take advantage of the deposit feature that BA holidays offer.

The flight prices were as follows

GLA-LHR-HND in WT+ £925 return
Upgrade to CW - 30,000 Avios plus an additional £93 in tax.
Total flight price £1019
Good price. I got a similar price for man-lhr-NRT for March during the wt+ sale around late summer 2014. Similarly pleased with the price. Btw the £93 is extra career surcharge for j over wt+. There is no additional tax/APD for the UuA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.